“Good central location”

Best Western President Hotel Auckland
Ranked #31 of 66 Hotels in Auckland Central
GreenLeadersSilver level
Reviewed 17 June 2014

While the best Western is very central to shops, the waterfront and transport the studio room on the 7th floor was noisy with a street bungy jump across the road in action till after midnight all weekend. Suggest asking for a room at the back of the hotel but then there are no windows. Two single beds were rather old and dilapidated no extra blankets of pillows supplied Bathroom was a good size with good shower. . Clean and tidy just a bit tired and very basic suitable for a one or two night stay only . as there were two of us we asked for single beds there is the option of a double . Having stayed previously in a general room I would suggest if budget allows go for the upgrade with more space better facilities and bed.

Room Tip: Request rooms higher up and not street facing . Adequate for a one night stay if all you need is a b...
  • Stayed: June 2014, travelled with family
Romeo L, Front Office Manager at Best Western President Hotel Auckland, responded to this reviewResponded 20 June 2014

Thank you for providing your feedback on your recent stay with us.

Thank you again for taking the time to review our Hotel. We appreciate your loyalty to our brand.

Front Office Manager

Write a ReviewReviews (1,165)

Reviewed 13 June 2014

Although I live in Auckland I was attending a conference and dinner at Skycity, so this hotel was the ideal location, and a good price for the CBD. The hotel room is pretty basic, but cleanliness was very good. I have had to take off a couple of points as the bed was terrible. It was two singles pushed together, and so I kept sinking into the middle where the two beds joined. The mattress was a very basic sprung mattress as well. I am lucky to have a very good bed at home, and stayed at two 5 star hotels last week, and I definitely noticed the difference in my sleep quality. You could do worse for a very central, budget option.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled on business
1  Thank lisamarieauckland

Reviewed 2 June 2014

I stayed at the Best Western President Hotel in Auckland last week for just one night. I had a late check in (about 8:30p). The 2 young ladies at the front desk were fantastic! I asked if there was a chance for a late checkout (2p), but unfortunately there was not due to new guests arriving. But, they were great! They offered me a noon check out if I desired. It costs an extra $10 for wifi for 24 hours (but it was well worth it!) There is also a restaurant on site that has a buffet breakfast as well as lunch and dinner. (I didn't get the breakfast, but was provided the information).

My room was - fantastic! I couldn't have asked for a better room! It was much larger than I expected as well. I had a sitting room (with tv, couch, table), a small kitchenette, a bathroom, and a king size bedroom. It was PERFECTION! I needed to re-pack my luggage, so it was nice to have the sitting room to spread it all out. I had the most beautiful view of the sky tower. It was perfection. I couldn't have asked for a better room. To make it better, the price was fantastic as well.

There is a souviner shop next door as well as a couple snack shops. There is also a grocery store down the street.

I definately recommend this hotel.

Room Tip: Ask for a high room, as it can be loud/bright at night due to the activities near the sky tour
  • Stayed: May 2014, travelled solo
2  Thank jessd716
Romeo L, Front Office Manager at Best Western President Hotel Auckland, responded to this reviewResponded 4 June 2014

Reviewed 29 May 2014

Close to lots of eateries and activities so ideal from that point of view. Room was well presented but smelt musty and signs of mould in shower. Surprised no sky movie channel and no free wifi other than 30 minutes in internet bay. Paid for wifi but repeated requests for log in made it frustrating. Very clean and bed was good. Quite and good breakfast available with very good service. Couldn't fault staff who were helpful and friendly.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled on business
Romeo L, Front Office Manager at Best Western President Hotel Auckland, responded to this reviewResponded 30 May 2014

Reviewed 28 May 2014

We stayed for the easy access to Auckland's finest establishments, and were not disappointed in the least by the hotel. Nice, clean and comfortable rooms with rapid check in, no nonsense. Highly recommended for adventurers.

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled with friends
1  Thank Ruby W

Reviewed 28 May 2014

I stayed here for two nights as I was looking for something close to the heart of the city and the ferry wharf. The location is brilliant -- a two minute walk to the main strip of shops and restaurants, and 5-10 minutes to the ferry wharf on foot. I checked in very late, and was able to pop over to the convenience store next door to pick up midnight snacks and a SIM card for my phone. I appreciate the security of after-hours card entry to the hotel lobby, and the front desk staff was fast and friendly.

As for the room itself, it can best be described as 'sterile.' I.e. it was spotlessly clean but bare and a bit cold. The king-size bed was actually two twin beds pushed together (this appears to be a trend in New Zealand) and wasn't terribly comfortable. I got an excellent price for the two nights through a deal site flash sale, but if I'd paid full price (upwards of $200/night) I probably would've been disappointed. Excellent choice for the convenient location and cleanliness if the price is right.

Room Tip: I was on one of the top floors and it appeared to be recently renovated -- everything looked freshly...
  • Stayed: May 2014, travelled solo

Reviewed 25 May 2014

My stay was only for one night but the studio room served our purposes well.The hotel's location was its best feature - right in the heart of the CBD, close to the restaurants and bars I was planning to visit to celebrate my 40th birthday.

Good features included being on the 12 floor which meant we heard very little noise except for the odd scream from the bungee ride opposite (made for entertaining viewing though), the blackout curtains were great and the bed was ok. I liked being able to reserve a secure parking space at the hotel for $20 a night. The spaces were pretty tight though.

We enjoyed the buffet breakfast - plenty of choice of cereals, fruit, yoghurt, breads and pastries and the cooked foods weren't greasy. I could have done without the religious service broadcast on the TV - it might have been Sunday morning but it felt weird to be eating accompanied by hymns and sermons!

Bad features - surprisingly poor shower pressure and lack of a normal power socket in the bathroom so I couldn't use my hair straighteners by the only mirror. Having a mirror in the bedroom would help. The whole facility could do with a colour injection - it felt a little drab.

I would stay here again mainly for the great location. Otherwise, it's just your run of the mill hotel.

Room Tip: Request a room high up to avoid traffic noise.
  • Stayed: May 2014, travelled as a couple
Romeo L, Front Office Manager at Best Western President Hotel Auckland, responded to this reviewResponded 28 May 2014

Dear Valued Guest

We wish to thank you kindly for taking the time in giving us feedback on your recent stay with us. We that you had enjoyed your stay by giving us plenty of great comments. I must apologize about the TV program which the TV was tuned into on the day you had breakfast. We do look forward to welcoming you back in the near future.

Yours Sincerely