“A Great Hotel On The Water....” 4 of 5 bubbles
Review of Hilton Auckland

Hilton Auckland
Ranked #6 of 68 Hotels in Auckland
Dallas, Texas
“A Great Hotel On The Water....”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 August 2011

I found myself here at the Hilton after the Westin ended up closing it's doors. In the end, the stay was quite good with no real issues at all.

*We were able to check in early (around 10am) the day after a major conference had left the hotel which was a nice surprise. We were ready to just store our bags and wait for a room. To add to the surprise, a nice upgrade to an ocean view was given to us.
*Room was a normal size with sufficient closest and drawer space.
*Internet was wireless and with a strong signal.
*The on-site restaurant is still fairly new (they just rebranded it). While the food was OK, it was slightly overpriced (in my opinion) for what you got....but then this is a hotel restaurant.
*You are only a short walk down the pier to several other restaurants so there is a nice variety.
*The only negative I give this hotel is their workout facility. There were limited free weights (max was about 20 pounds) and limited machines to round out the workout. However, they had plenty of bikes and treadmills. I found it a challenge to get a good workout in since the weights and machines were just not adequate. I will round this out by saying that this gym is adequate for a light workout and it has the "standard" equipment...don't expect to be able to do anything heavy.

All in all, a good hotel in a good location.

• Stayed August 2011, travelled with family
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
CPHIAKL, General Manager at Hilton Auckland, responded to this review, 24 August 2011
Dear Jeff_in_Dallas,

Thank you for taking the time to post your review of the hotel on Tripadvisor. I appreciate your feedback at helps me to understand where we do well and where we can improve.

I was pleased to see that, in general, your stay appears to have met your expectations. I have noted your comments regarding the gym which is an area we are currently reviewing for a future upgrade.

Thank you for choosing to stay at Hilton Auckland and I hope we will see you back on a future trip to Auckland.

Chris Partridge

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (484)
  • Czech first
  • Indonesian first
  • Korean first
Sydney
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 August 2011

The Hilton in Auckland sits right down on the harbour and looks like an old fashion ocean liner about to heas out to sea. The rooms are nice but it is a long walk from the reception area back down to the road running across the harbourfront (and a very wet walk to business meetings!)

The breakfast staff might have been the nicest and most genuine I have ever come across. I cannot say too much about their attiptude and desire to give the customer a great experience.

• Stayed May 2011, travelled on business
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank Aussie_Andrew
Dear Aussie_Andrew,

Thank you for taking the time to post a review of the hotel on Tripadvisor. Your feedback is much appreciated as it helps me to understand where we have done well and if there are opportunities to improve.

I was delighted to see that you enjoyed your stay with us and that the breakfast team left you with such a positive impression.

Thank you for choosing to stay at Hilton Auckland and I do hope we will see you back at the hotel on a future visit to Auckland.

Hong Kong
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 August 2011

Located on the water, this modern and very glassy hotel is a treat. Lovely, efficient staff that is a pleasure to interact with. Rooms are clean and modern. The ones with balconies are quite nice and if you can snag the top floor one with the wrap around terrace, its a real winner. The restaurant is very good though prices are aligned with the top restaurants in town. Breakfast is served in a bright, airy, spot that offers a panoramic view. Intelligently designed with the benefit of a well trained staff, would strong recommend a stay here. Only less than 5 star point is the gym, which, while adequate could use some more up to date equipment and space.

• Stayed August 2011, travelled on business
Dear eton1970,

Thank you for taking the time to post your review of the hotel on Tripadvisor. I appreciate your feedback as it helps me understand where we do well and where we can improve.

I was delighted to read that your stay met your expectations and that you found the hotel team responded to your needs. It was also pleasing to see you enjoyed your breakfast at our newly refurbished restaurant. I have noted your comments regarding the gym, which is an area that we are currently reviewing.

Thank you for choosing to stay at Hilton Auckland and I hope we have the oportunity to welcome you back on future travels.

Broadbeach, Australia
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 August 2011

I stayed here for a couple of nights, during which we used the hotel facilities for a meeting. The location on the harbour is great (although the cruise liner outside my winder for a half day wasn't all that attractive) with plenty of restaurants and nightlife nearby - but a decent hike up the hill (10 to 15 mins) to most client offices I needed to visit. The rooms was small, but relatively well appointed. Staff were courteous, but not outstanding. Facilities were limited, and the breakfast restaurant average. Overall, not great value (and extra's were pricey), but the breath of fresh air when you walked out of the hotel onto the wharf on which it is built got your day started on the right foot.

• Stayed February 2011, travelled on business
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
Dear 20clicks,

Thank you for taking time to post your review of the hotel on Tripadvisor following your stay with us in February. Your feedback is appreciated as it enables me to see where we do well and where we might improve.

It was great to see that you found our location convenient for your needs while in Auckland. I have noted your feedback regarding the team at the hotel and breakfast in the restaurant. Since your stay we have refurbished the restaurant and made some changes to our breakfast buffet that include adding a chef to cook eggs to order in the restaurant itself.

Thank you for choosing to stay at Hilton Auckland and I hope we may see you back on a future trip to Auckland.

Canberra, Australia
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 August 2011

We had just one night at the Hilton and enjoyed our stay. Our harbour view room was on the top floor, overlooking the ferry terminal. It had a a good size balcony with table and chairs. The decor was perhaps a bit minimalist but the room was comfortable and very well maintained. Liked the bathroom.
Having arrived after 7pm, we headed out for dinner. There were a number of restaurants within a few minutes' walk (we ended up at Monsoon Poon - excellent) and we also walked into the city centre, less than 5 minutes away.
The ground floor bar offered a good range of NZ wines at reasonable prices for post-dinner drinks. Service was prompt and reasonably friendly.
Breakfast was served in the newly re-opened restaurant (was White, is now Fish). Not really sure what the renovations were but it was clean and fresh. Breakfast was fairly standard for a 4- 5 star hotel, with the benefit of an egg chef. Nice smoked salmon and a good range of decent bread.
All in all a good stay and I would go back again.

• Stayed August 2011, travelled as a couple
Dear traveltimeCanberra,

Thank you for taking the time to post a review of the hotel on Tripadvisor following your recent stay. Your feedback is valuable for me to understand where we do well and where we can improve.

I was delighted to read that you enjoyed your stay at the hotel and that you also enjoyed the views from your room. I am also happy that you found the hotel well located for visiting central Auckland attractions. I note that you had breakfast in our newly refurbished restaurant where we have taken the opportunity to replace all the existing furniture, add new lighting and create an all weather outdoor dining option complete with open fireplace.

Thank you for choosing to stay at Hilton Auckland and I hope we have the opportunity to welcome you back on a future trip to Auckland.

Te Anau
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 July 2011

My wife and I spent 1 night at the Hilton while travelling to Waiheke Island for our 20th wedding anniversary. The room and service was fantastic and the breakfast buffet was very good. Great location, great outlook and views, quiet and private

• Stayed April 2011, travelled as a couple
Dear Andrew10026,

Thank you for taking the time to post a review of the hotel on Tripadvisor following your stay in April. Your feedback is very much appreciated as it lets me know where we are doing well and if there is anything we can improve on.

I was delighted to read that you enjoyed your stay with us on the way to Waiheke Island and I hope you enjoyed your wedding anniversary trip. I am also pleased to see you enjoyed breakfast and the views over the Waitemata Harbour.

Thank you for choosing to stay at Hilton Auckland and I hope we may see you back at the hotel on a future visit to Auckland.

Edinburgh
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 July 2011

I arrived on an early flight into Auckland and tried to get a room early. A room was available early, which was great. The check in took only minutes.

The room was one of their cheaper ones but ironically, as it is located on the street side there is no noise from ferries that other reviewers have complained about. The bathroom was enormous and very clean. The rest of the room was up to the usual standard for a newer Hilton.

I ate breakfast and dinner at the restaurant, which was included in the room rate. The food at both meals was excellent and the service was friendly although a little slow, but it is New Zealand and the view was great from the restaurant so I didn't mind that much.

• Stayed April 2011, travelled on business
Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to post a review of the hotel on Tripadvisor. I welcome your feedback as it helps me to see where we are doing well and where we can seek improvement.

I was delighted to read that you enjoyed your time at the hotel and that your room met your expectations. I also note your feedback regarding the restaurant and that your meals were enjoyable. Since your visit to the hotel in April, the restaurant has been refurbished and has a new name - FISH. We have a new direction for the restaurant and are very excited that we are also associated with New Zealand Masterchef Judge - Simon Gault and his protege Shane Yardley who oversees the restaurant kitchen for lunch through to dinner.

Thank you for choosing to stay at Hilton Auckland and I hope we may see you return in the future.