“An Excellent Base during RWC”
Review of Hilton Auckland

Hilton Auckland
Ranked #6 of 67 Hotels in Auckland
Sydney, Australia
“An Excellent Base during RWC”
Reviewed 19 September 2011

I stayed at Hilton Auckland over the weekend when unfortunately (for Australians at least) the Wallabies lost to Ireland at Eden Park. HA is a very well located hotel, right in the viaduct area and very close to many great bars and eateries, as well as being close to the main shopping street, Queen Street.

I didn't have the breakfast buffet, but the Bellini Bar was nicely appointed and a great place to have a drink. The rooms were relatively spacious and mine had a nice view out to the harbour, with a lovely balcony to sit at (although it was a little cool to do so). The rooms were clean and quite groovy and I think it's a great place to spend a few days at if you are in Auckland, albeit potentially a little expensive.

• Stayed September 2011, travelled solo
CPHIAKL, General Manager at Hilton Auckland, responded to this review, 22 September 2011
Dear Enmorecat,

Thank you for posting your review of the hotel on Tripadvisor. I appreciate your feedback as it helps us to see where we do well and where we can improve.

It was great to read that you enjoyed the hotel when here for the Rugby and I am pleased that we met your expectations. It was a pity that you did not get the result you wanted at the match but I am sure everything will work out well as the tournament progresses.

Thank you for choosing to stay at Hilton Auckland and I hope that we may see you back in the future.

Best regards,

Chris Partridge

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (520)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Czech first
  • Finnish first
  • Indonesian first
  • Korean first
Auckland Region, New Zealand
Reviewed 19 September 2011

We have stayed at this lovely hotel on one occasion but have had dinners there many times.
I cannot think of a single time where the service was any less than fantastic and the food just superb. If you feel adverturous at dinner ask the wine waiter to supply a glass of wine to match each course of dinner. You WILL be impressed.
The hotel itself is built on the very end od a wharf out into aucklands harbour.
This means that most of the rooms have fantastic views.
ALL the rooms are well apointed and comfortable. There are rooms called Bow rooms which are enormous with huge balconies and views out to devonport.
They are nice but in my opinion the very best room is actually on the second floor one back from the bow room (room 205) its still huge and has almost the self same view.
The rooms get smaller as you go up so 305 and 405 get smaller.
Would I return-yes do I reccomend YES

Room Tip: DEFINITELY ask for the 05 rooms -205 in my opinion is best but 305 or 405 still are fantastic
  • Stayed October 2010, travelled as a couple
CPHIAKL, General Manager at Hilton Auckland, responded to this review, 21 September 2011
Dear Kazbanz,

Thank you for posting your review on Tripadvisor, your feedback is appreciated as it lets me know how we are doing.

I was pleased to read that you enjoy staying at the hotel and that you particularly enjoy the Harbour View Deluxe Plus rooms and the views over to Devonport and beyond. It was also great to read that you have enjoyed dining at the restaurant when staying at the hotel.

Thanks for choosing to stay at Hilton Auckland and I hope we see you back soon.

With best regards,

California
Reviewed 13 September 2011

Just returned from New Zealand. Unaware when I booked this trip , the Rugby World Championships were starting up at the time of my arrival, so the city was alive with activities. I found Auckland, in general, to be more "British" than Australia. The Hilton is located out at the end of Princes Wharf near the city center. It's in a spectacular setting, but a bit of a slow-paced walk (5-10 minutes) to the nearest bars and restaurants. The property itself is in excellent condition and the staff were outstanding in every respect. Dining at the only restaurant on site was unremarkable and expensive. The bar scene was somewhat better. The archetecture and furnishings were industrialesque, lending a somewhat cold and indifferent feel. However, overall I enjoyed my stay and thoroughly relished the welcoming, freindly Kiwis.

Room Tip: Try to get a room with a balcony.
  • Stayed September 2011, travelled solo
Dear Pineapplejim,

Thank you for posting your review of the hotel on Tripadvisor. I appreciate your feedback as it helps me to understand where we are doing well and what we can work to improve.

I was delighted to see that you enjoyed the hotel and its location. Situated on the wharf provides for great views over the port and harbour while being just a short walk to the restaurants and bars located in the Viaduct Harbour and Britomart precincts. I was also pleased to see that the team left you with a positive impression of the hotel.

Great to have you stay at Hilton Auckland and I hope we may see you back on future travels.

Sydney, Australia
Reviewed 10 September 2011

Stayed for a long weekend in August 2011.

Booked on the Hilton website and got a great advance purchase rate including breakfast.

Arrived from Sydney in the late morning and caught a cab to the hotel. I'd forgotten just how expensive cabs are in Auckland and the ride cost $90NZD. Ouch. You can easily get a bus or a shuttle from the airport into the CBD and save loads.

Pretty sweet location down on the viaduct close to loads of bars and restaurants and only a few minutes walk to Queen Street and Britomart. Check in was fast and easy and was in my 5th floor Deluxe Harbour view room very quickly. The room is a decent size with huge bed, desk, TV and mini bar. The bathroom is also big with a massive bath and separate shower.

I found the room surprisingly quiet, and thankfully there were no cruise ships visiting during my stay (read all the other reviews about the cruise ship situation). Loved the big bed which was super comfortable. There's also the standard hilton pillow menu if you're fussy.

Breakfast in the 1st floor restaurant was okay. Having stayed at a few other Hilton hotels I was just a little disappointed with the quality - watery scrambled eggs, cheap apple juice and overcooked bacon.

With my silver HHonors status I received free room turn-down service each night including mineral water which was a nice touch.

Checked out using the express form and by the time I got the airport I'd already been emailed a copy of the invoice and credit card charge.

This was my first stay at the Hilton Auckland as the rates are usually excessively high. I'd stay again if the price was right.

• Stayed August 2011, travelled solo
1 Thank Seamus_81
CPHIAKL, General Manager at Hilton Auckland, responded to this review, 12 September 2011
Dear Connor200,

Thank you for posting a review of your stay at the hotel onto Tripadvisor. Your feedback is very much appreciated as it allows me an insight into where we have done well and where we can spend time on improvements.

I was pleased to see that you have enjoyed your stay at the hotel and found the location to be convenient for your needs. I am sorry that breakfast did not meet your expectations and have shared your thoughts with the hotel's Chef.

Thank you for choosing to stay at Hilton Auckland and I hope we may see you back on future travels.

Auckland, NZ
Reviewed 5 September 2011

I'm a local but occasionally like to stay a night in the city. We stayed here last year and enjoyed it so much we stayed a 2nd time.
Must admit I've been lucky and both times were kindly upgraded to a harbour view room - from what I hear, it's worth the extra to upgrade to these rooms. I like the feel of them, relaxed but with all the amenities one would need.
We particularly love the breakfast at White, although I heard changes were being made to the restaurant in August. Great selection of food and the best view in town.
Staff always very pleasant and welcoming - we're already looking forward to our next visit!

Room Tip: Worth it to upgrade to a harbour view room
  • Stayed May 2011, travelled as a couple
3 Thank wekiwi
Dear Wekiwi,

Thank you for taking the time to post your review of the hotel onto tripadvisor. I greatly appreciate your feedback as it lets me know where we are doing well and where we could work to further improve.

I was delighted to read that you enjoyed your return stay to the hotel and the upgrade to one of the hotel's Harbour View Rooms. I was also pleased to see that you enjoyed breakfast in our restaurant overlooking the Waitemata Harbour. As you mention, we have recently refurbished the restaurant and have entered into a partnership with Simon Gault to provide a seafood inspired menu for lunch and dinner; naturally the views are the same!

Thank you for choosing to stay at Hilton Auckland and I hope we have an opportunity to welcome you back again in the future.

London, UK
Reviewed 3 September 2011

The room was a good size, with modern and attractive decor, and a balcony. Good bathroom. Great views over the harbour. Comfortable bed, good TV, good radio, good amenities and nice little touches. Apart from a drink in the reasonably lively bar, i did not use the hotel facilities or eat there.

The hotel was good value and more than met my expectations and I had a very good night's stay.

• Stayed June 2011, travelled solo
1 Thank Voyager212
Dear Voyager212,

Thank you for taking time to post your review onto Tripadvisor. I appreciate your feedback as it provides an insight into where we do well and where we could improve.

I was very pleased to read that you enjoyed your stay with us and I hope that we might see you back on future travels.

Thank for choosing to stay at Hilton Auckland.

Auckland Region, New Zealand
Reviewed 30 August 2011

Our hotel room was nice but there was nothing special about it, it was clean and had a big bathroom, the view was great but i wouldn’t spend almost $400 to stay there again. Parking, Breakfast etc was extra, nothing was included. The staff were friendly and helpful and if it wasn’t for the price i would be happy to stay again.

• Stayed August 2011, travelled as a couple
CPHIAKL, General Manager at Hilton Auckland, responded to this review, 7 September 2011
Dear Amy_9876,

Thank you very much for taking time to post a review on Tripadvisor following your stay at the hotel. Your feedback is valuable for me to understand where we do well and where we can improve.

I was pleased to see that you enjoyed your stay at the hotel and appreciate your comments regarding the views and our friendly team members. I have noted your reservations regarding the price paid at the hotel and a lack of inclusions. There are a number of options when booking a room at the hotel which range from a room only rate to bed and breakfast or other packages so I do apologise if this was not evident when you made your reservation.

Thank you for choosing to stay at the hotel and I hope we may see you back on future travels.