“Nice hotel”

Ranked #7 of 67 Hotels in Auckland
Sydney
“Nice hotel”
Reviewed 24 January 2012

We had a good stay here, in a King Deluxe Harbour View on level 2. At more than 300 Australian bucks a night, it would want to be good! The room was nicely fitted out and the bed was wonderful. Great bathroom. The staff were nice and friendly. A couple of enormous cruise liners parked next to the hotel during our stay. They obscured the harbour view while there but we found this quite exciting. It was fun to stand out on the balcony on New Year’s Eve and have elderly revellers in fancy dress on the ship wave madly down at us. The hotel pool is the size of postage stamp. WiFi absurdly expensive. Didn’t try the breakfast, but the restaurant Fish had a very reasonably priced menu.

We hit the hotel bar after the New Year’s midnight fireworks. There was an ill-attended disco in progress. Most amusing. Long Island Tea score: 6 out of 10. Too much Coke, not enough lemon. I ordered a bucket of ice on two different occasions. The first time there was nothing to scoop it out with - I had to use a cup. The second time there was a dessert spoon.

• Stayed December 2011, travelled as a couple
CPHIAKL, General Manager at Hilton Auckland, responded to this review, 7 February 2012
Dear Subber,

Thank you for posting your review on tripadvisor, I appreciate your feedback.

I was pleased to see that you enjoyed your stay with us in general but have noted the inconsistencies with delivery of ice and also the Long Island Iced Tea.

Thank you for spending New Year's Eve with us and I hope we will see you return on future travels.

Hilton Auckland

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (505)
  • Czech first
  • Finnish first
  • Indonesian first
  • Korean first
London, England, United Kingdom
Reviewed 23 January 2012

All i can say is that i wouldn't stay at this hotel ever again. The reason is that despite paying for a 'sea view' of the 8 nights there 6 of them were ruined by the giant cruiseships that dock at 6am every morning (see pics). Not only do they wake you up (forklifts, taxis etc, and general docking noises) you also then have the equivalent of a block of flats looking directly into your room until 4.30pm. Now if you opt for the non sea view rooms (facing the carpark) they may be better but not sure, certainly can't be any worse. The staff (oddly enough for Hilton) were very nice and polite it must be said, it's just that the ships ruin your time there really. The only saving grace of the place is the location, it's pretty good if you don't mind Mike and Janice from Ohio looking at you when you're asleep at 6am. Don't pay a premium for this place or for the sea view. Breakfast was good although i thought the restaurant was a little overrated for dinner, you'd be better eating at Kermadec on the Marina, which is excellent.

Room Tip: Choose another hotel, or one over looking the car park.
  • Stayed January 2012, travelled on business
Dear Gastronaut77_Lon,

Thank you for taking the time to post your review on Tripadvisor, I appreciate the feedback.

While pleased to see that you found the team at the hotel polite and friendly, I am sorry for the inconvenience caused by the arrival of various ships during your stay. We endeavour to advise all guests of any expected ship arrivals when booking through Hilton direct, I am sorry that this appears not to have happened on your visit.

There are times in the NZ Summer months that ships arrive on consecutive days, usually departing between 4 and 6 pm. We share the cruise ship schedule on the hotel's website to help identify whether a ship may be in port.

Thank you for choosing to stay at the hotel and I am very sorry that you left with a less than positive impression.

Brisbane, Australia
Reviewed 23 January 2012

Stayed 2 nights at the Hilton Auckland 3 to 5 January 2012 in a Harbour View Deluxe King Suite.

The view from the room, was awesome! The room has a nice deck with 2 seats but I requested a couple more seats for my extra guests, where we popped a few bottles of Moet and ate room service nibbles. Why go down to the harbour front restaurants when you can have the same view in a private setting?

I absolutely loved my stay here - the room service was delicious and fairly priced too. The views were amazing, and although you are close to the city, because the hotel is out on a pier, it is pretty quiet out there! Completely surrounded by water ... its a bit of a different experience to any other hotel I have stayed at.

Staff were also very friendly and helpful which was great. I didn't really see much of the amenities unfortunately but the bar and restaurant did look nice.

The room was very nice and I ordered extra pillows. I did not want to get up out of bed in the morning!

I would recommend this place if you are visiting Auckland. The views and the atmosphere are totally worth it!

• Stayed January 2012, travelled with friends
Dear Jonnie27,

Thank you for taking the time to post your review on Tripadvisor, I appreciate your feedback.

I was delighted to see that you enjoyed your stay with us and took time to unwind admiring the views from your balcony. We like to think our location in Auckland is pretty unique and I was pleased to see that you agree.

Thank you for choosing to stay with us and I look forward to welcoming you back on future travels.

Australind, Australia
Reviewed 22 January 2012

After some running around to organise a very simple wedding prior to Christmas, we found out we were actually able to marry on the first floor viewing deck of the Hilton....better still, it was free.
Did find that there was some confusion as to who could give me the go ahead to actually get married on the deck as it turns out the Hilton doesn't own it and is public access.
After a number of phonecalls and emails to the Hilton, the Wharf Security and the Auckland City Council, turns out nobody had any idea!!! Anyway, we thought what the heck and just went ahead with it anyway without any problems.
We stayed one night prior to getting married and when we went out for drinks suprisingly returned with a platter with Congratulations written in chocolate along with dipped strawberries. Also included were a couple bottles of fancy water and a special bottle of Duetz champagne. Great touch the Hilton!
The rooms of course were excellent and we had no problems with the cruise ships pulling up outside our room as we were booked for a 10 day Xmas cruise following our wedding ceremony.
Would definitely recommend the Hilton if people are prepared to pay a pretty penny. If it wasn't for the fact that it was a special occasion we would probably have stayed somewhere else, just as close.
The staff were fine and job friendly enough but found alot of them to be quite distant, almost robotic. Not sure if this was because everyone person we dealt with hailed from a foreign country or not. Maybe it was just a cultural thing. Funny enough, we never came across a single Kiwi employee but I'm sure they're there somewhere.

• Stayed December 2011, travelled as a couple
Dear Winonz11,

Thank you for taking time to post your review on Tripadvisor and congratulations on your recent wedding.

I was delighted to see that you enjoyed the hotel and its location, sorry about the confusion regarding the viewing deck outside the hotel which is a public space and not part of the hotel itself. I am pleased to see that we provided you with a memorable experience before heading off on your cruise.

Thank you for choosing to stay with us and I hope we may see you back on future travels.

Los Angeles, California
Reviewed 19 January 2012

We took a 7day vacation after Australia...the location is great... convenient to everything..eating, shopping, tours etc. The property is elegant and the staff wonderful and willing to help. Our views were great except when the cruise ships came in! Luckily we had only 2 on our 7day trip.The Bellini bar is very relaxing after our daily tours etc. The staff at the bar were very friendly and willing to give us helpful local tips when asked. The Fish restaurant however needs a bit or variety...like some pasta etc. We would have eaten in most nights after our tours but had to go outside at times due to this! The breakfast buffet and staff - excellent. Overall it was a very pleasant stay.

• Stayed January 2012, travelled as a couple
1 Thank shay12123
Dear Shay12123,

Thank you for taking time to post your review on tripadvisor, I appreciate your feedback.

I was delighted to see that you enjoyed your stay at the hotel, naturally I am pleased to see that you found the team at the hotel friendly and helpful. I have noted your feedback regarding the menu at FISH. The menu does focus on the best New Zealand seafood however it is important that we meet the needs of all our guests.

Thank you for staying at the hotel and we look forward to welcoming you back on future travels.

Tutukaka, New Zealand
Reviewed 19 January 2012

Must admit I am not used to staying in a hotel with the star rating of this one but can honestly say we were made to feel very special. The service was great, as were the drinks and the food. The waiter in the cocktail bar especially was excellent - very attentive and could not have been any more helpful. While it may be more expensive than some it is a wonderful place to stay.

What's even better was we were able to smoke out on the balcony of our room!!!!

• Stayed December 2011, travelled with friends
Dear BJE,

Thank you for taking time to post your review of the hotel on Tripadvisor, I appreciate your feedback.

I was very pleased to see that you enjoyed your stay at the hotel. I was delighted to see that we helped make your stay with us special.

We look forward to welcoming you back on future travels.

Wappingers Falls, New York
Reviewed 19 January 2012

Visually stunning location. The end of the long pier after the shopping district you find the Auckland Hilton. Sleek design with kind of an open concept lobby where the reception, concierge, and dining/bar area are combined into a large one piece area.
Room I was given was spectacular, larger than a standard Hilton room, with a large balcony overlooking the Auckland Harbour on one side and large floor length windows overlooking the ocean 90 degrees away. Two walls of the room were almost 100% glass, so the views were no less than terrific wherever you looked. Bathroom was really nice as well. Large glass walk in shower with separate tub.
Staff was very accommodating and downright friendly with some great suggestions on what was going on and what we could enjoy for our one night in Auckland. All in all a 5 star experience at this hotel

Was especially nice, since our cruise ship checkin was virtually out the front door of the hotel

Room Tip: Corner rooms around with Harbor views were fantastic
  • Stayed January 2012, travelled with friends
Dear Johhnnyrocks,

Thank you for posting your review of the hotel on tripadvisor, I appreciate your feedback.

I was delighted to see that you enjoyed your stay at the hotel and the views from your room over the harbour. The team will also be happy to see that they made a positive impression during your stay.

I hope you enjoyed your cruise and we look forward to welcoming you back in the future.