“Very poor for a Hilton”

Ranked #7 of 66 Hotels in Auckland
Auckland NZ
“Very poor for a Hilton”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 May 2012

We have travelled extensively and stayed in numerous hiltons, sheratons etc around the world.
My wife had always said we should stay one night in the Auckland Hilton for the experience. Auckland is our home town.
So on my wife's birthday we stayed there. It was a disappointing experience.
The room was small. The view looked directly into other apartment buildings and they looked into your room.
The bar was not open as it was booked for a private function and the quality of the food in the resteraunt was poor.
We always like to have a pre dinner drink in the comfort of ther bar and also after dinner. We could not do so as it was closed for a private function. When you book and oay for your accommodation you expect to have all the hotel facilities available for you to use. If they are not they should warn you, Its akin to charging you full airplane fare but then 'oh sorry but meals and drinks are not available on this flight".
Finally the 200 meter walk fromthe main road at night to the hotel door is not vey well light and is scarey!!!

Not for us again.

2 Thank Zara08
CPHIAKL, General Manager at Hilton Auckland, responded to this review, 11 June 2012
Dear Zara08,

Thank you for taking the time to post your review of the hotel following your stay, I appreciate your feedback.

I am sorry that you did not enjoy your stay at the hotel, it was regrettable that the bar was closed during your stay for a private event and I have taken your feedback on board.

Thank you for choosing to stay at Hilton Auckland.

Chris Partridge

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (496)
  • Czech first
  • Indonesian first
  • Korean first
Adelaide, Australia
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 May 2012

just spent the last night here on our way back home, very good hotel, spacious rooms, good service, only thing I would say that its a bit overpriced for what it is, but you are paying for the location! Friendly staff, had to change our room when we checked in as we were given a adjoining room which doesn't help when you can hear your neighbour, perhaps management should look at this as it seems to be an issue wherever we travel.

2 Thank Astrid909
CPHIAKL, General Manager at Hilton Auckland, responded to this review, 24 May 2012
Dear Astrid909,

Thank you for posting your review of the hotel on Tripadvisor, I appreciate your feedback.

I was pleased to see that you enjoyed your stay with us and I have noted your feedback regarding the adjoining room.

Thank you for choosing to stay at Hilton Auckland and we look forward to seeing you back in the future.

Geraldton, Australia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 May 2012

We stayed at the Hilton Hotel in January 2012.

Hilton Hotel proved to be one of the best hotels I've stayed at in my lifetime. The panoramic views of the Auckland harbour, was the best. Even better at night. The service was great, with smiling staff attentive enough to make sure our stay was very comfortable.

The Hilton's Concierge service actually was very thoughtful, and they were there to help when I got sick during the duration of my stay. They managed to get me some medication and delivered it to our hotel room without fail.

Breakfast on your balcony is best, don't mind the price and you're sweet.

• Stayed January 2012, travelled with friends
1 Thank Charlon C
CPHIAKL, General Manager at Hilton Auckland, responded to this review, 15 May 2012
Dear CharlonC,

Thank you for your review of the hotel I appreciate your feedback.

I was very pleased to see that you enjoyed your stay and very glad that the Concierge team were able to provide assistance.

Thanks for staying with us and I hope we see you back in the near future.

5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 May 2012

3 of the best nights you could ask for. Quiet rooms with great view . Great staff and wonderful food. 10/10

• Stayed May 2012
1 Thank WJnCJ
Dear WJnCJ,

Thank you for posting your review of the hotel I appreciate your feedback.

I was very pleased to see you enjoyed your stay and thank you for the 10 out of 10 score which I greatly value.

Thank you choosing to stay with us and hopefully we will see you back on future travels.

Ellon, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 May 2012

My wife and I stayed here the second week in May and were left with mixed feelings.
Check in was smooth, and we were told that, as I was a Diamond HH member, we were being upgraded to a harbour view deluxe room, even though that was what we had paid for. On querying this, we were greeted with some confusion before they realised this was correct. They then apologised and said that there were no upgrade rooms or suites available, so we were offered a complimentary bottle of wine as “compensation”. When I checked room availability on the website, I found that Bow and Relaxation suites were available. On checking, again, with reception, I was told that any upgrade would have been to the next level up, a deluxe plus, and none were available. Hilton Honors T&Cs state the next best available room or suite, not necessarily the next category.
So I was a bit underwhelmed.

The room itself was OK, a bit minimalistic, with a good view of the working harbour, not so much of the bay. Certainly, no “stunning view”. There were no cruise ships during our stay, but there was still a lot of noise from the adjacent ferry terminal, with engines, horns and tannoys, from 07:00 until around 23:00.

Breakfast was a bit disappointing. Hot food was never topped up often enough. Bacon and potatoes were always very undercooked.
For a hotel which advertised “accessible” rooms, it seems strange that disabled people have to negotiate steps to get to the breakfast buffet.
We did get daily vouchers for one complimentary drink each in Bellini’s.
We had a pizza in Bellini’s. This is the only place, in all our world travels, where we had a mozzarella pizza made with cheddar cheese! Unusual!

Unusually for a Hilton, we found the music in public areas to be unnecessarily loud and not to everyone’s taste, especially at breakfast time.
The standard of this hotel; is well below that of comparable hotels Europe and I find it very difficult to see why it should be a category 7.

Other than the above, location was good and the staff were excellent, always friendly, helpful and obliging.

We’re off to Taupo Hilton in a couple of days, so it will be interesting to see what that‘s like..

Dear DoricWanderer,

Thank you for posting your review of the hotel following your stay, I appreciate your feedback.

I am sorry that not all aspects of your stay with us met your expectations and I have shared your feedback with the team so we may learn from your experiences. Your feeback has certainly been taken in the constructive manner intended.

Please do let me know should you be returning to Hilton Auckland in the future so that I can ensure your complete satisfaction.

Colorado
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 May 2012

We keep coming back to this Auckland gem. It's my husband's #1 hotel in the world. He loves the breakfast buffet. Honestly, there is no better setting in Auckland and the rooms are beautiful! If you're going to Auckland, you won't be sorry for choosing the Hilton.

• Stayed April 2012, travelled as a couple
1 Thank lovetotravelColorado
Los Angeles
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 May 2012

After a very long flight from LAX, we were delighted to arrive at the very modern looking Hilton Auckland. We were warmly greeted upon arrival and were granted a very early check in. We were then shown to our lovely room, which was huge and had stunning views of the harbor, Auckland City, and Devonport. Trying to acclimate to the time difference, we set out to explore after getting some very helpful suggestions from the concierge. We loved the Auckland Fish Market, which was one of his suggestions!

Although we were only there for one night, we appreciated the warm and friendly service and the great location of the Hilton Auckland and would recommend it without hesitation. They also provided free breakfast to HHonors gold members. We loved their breakfast buffet-it was by far the best breakfast we had in our 11 nights in New Zealand and French Polynesia.

As a HHonors member, sometimes I've found that the pre-stay experience with a hotel is a great preview of my satisfication with the actual stay. I had reached out to the general manager, Chris, awhile back with some questions about North Island attractions. Chris responded immediately even though I sent the email during Christmas and referred me to the head concierge, Gustavo. Gustavo also wrote back very quicly and provided suggestions that were spot on. We're glad we listened to Gustavo's suggestion of going to Waitomo Caves as opposed to some of the other activities we had considered-it was one of the highlights of our time in New Zealand. I had good feelings after my correspondence with the hotel and my expectations were far exceeded upon staying at the hotel.

1 Thank jaimie_u
CPHIAKL, General Manager at Hilton Auckland, responded to this review, 13 May 2012
Dear jaimie,

Thank you for posting your reveiw of the hotel following your recent stay, I appreciate the feedback.

I was very happy to see that you enjoyed your stay with us and very pleased that you enjoyed Waitomo Caves. Both Gustavo and I delighted that we helped make your visit memorable.

We look forward to welcoming you back on future travels.