“Great Location and wonderful staff”
Review of Hilton Auckland

Hilton Auckland
Ranked #7 of 67 Hotels in Auckland
Green Bay, Wisconsin
“Great Location and wonderful staff”
Reviewed 19 May 2008

Stayed at the Hilton Auckland 5/15-18/2008. Location is great - close to everything you could want as a tourist. The hotel is going through major renovation on the 4th floor - so pool access had to be gained by going the 5th floor and walking down to the 4th floor. No big deal. The main restaurant is under remodel as well so all dining took place on the 1st floor in the Bellini Bar - which has great view of the harbor. Breakfast was a bit over priced but still good...make sure you fill up!

As far as the Hilton chain, I feel this hotel lives up to the Hilton name. The lobby was clean, the rooms were good size and clean. We had a nice balcony overlooking the pier and harbor.

Hotel staff was wonderful.

• Stayed May 2008, travelled with family
2 Thank GBWIHAWK

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (511)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Czech first
  • Finnish first
  • Indonesian first
  • Korean first
Niceville, Florida
Reviewed 8 May 2008

The hotel is great, the only reason that I did not give it an excellent rating was White's restaurant where I paid more for less food than any place I have ever eaten. This was no problem as many excellent restaurants are located within a five to ten minute walk. The hotel location is fantastic, we were thrilled to be having breakfast on our balcony while a cruise liner was docking. The hotel is located at the end of Prince's Wharf which can be seen from the photo taken from the Sky Tower restaurant. Our flight arrived about 5 am so I had requested an early check-in and our room was waiting for us. The hotel staff was professional, helpful, and friendly throughout our stay. Expensive, but considering the location, well worth the cost. Spend the extra needed to have a harbor view with balcony.

• Liked — location
  • Disliked — restaurant
3 Thank thirdwiley
New York City, New York
Reviewed 5 May 2008

My husband and I stayed at the Hilton in Auckland for 3 nights and highly recommend it. The hotel is located right on the water on a dock, and has great views of the water. Its located right next to everything. The hotel is very new and modern and the rooms and restaurant are very nice.

• Liked — Location
  • Disliked — Nothing
  • Stayed September 2005, travelled as a couple
3 Thank jesslca321
Sydney, Australia
Reviewed 1 May 2008

There may be good rooms at this hotel, which look down the harbour, but I have yet to stay in one. In the other rooms, I find the dark decor uninspiring and the outlook across to some apartments unappealing. Many of the staff seem less than happy - but perhaps I caught them on an off day or two or three. The restaurant locations are impressive - with good harbour views, and pleasant food. Getting to and from the hotel into Auckland City centre by foot can be a chore, but it doesn't take long to find a taxi usually. I still prefer to stay in a more central Auckland hotel, when I can.

• Liked — The restaurant location
  • Disliked — The lack of view (again) from my room!
  • Stayed March 2008, travelled on business
4 Thank FrequentFrier
Auckland, New Zealand
Reviewed 26 April 2008

We stayed at the Hilton Auckland for one night for my birthday in April. This was a special treat as this hotel is not cheap. We live in Auckland so are very familiar with the hotels and have stayed at most of them but this was our first trip to the Hilton.
The Hilton has always been somewhere I wanted to stay as it is in a fantastic location on the edge of one of Auckland's wharfs and as such I imagined it would have fantastic views. The views from the public areas were great but I didn't realise until we arrived that we had not booked a harbour-view room so our view wasn't that great but as the room we were in was already expensive enough we chose not to upgrade the room.
I have to say I was very disappointed with the room. Yes it was clean and so was the bathroom but at the end of the day it was just a hotel room of average size and seemed quite ordinary, especially given the price.
There were also areas of the hotel that were starting to look tired - the lifts were slow and noisy and paintwork was in need of attention.
I'm not saying the Hilton is a bad hotel, it is very smart and stylish but I just think it needs to be more realistic with pricing. For less money we much prefer the Sebel Suites as they are full service apartments right in the Viaduct with balconies overlooking the harbour and action of the Viaduct (for even less money you can stay in a studio with no balcony but believe me the harbour view suites are so worth that little bit extra) - the Hilton is a little bit of a walk to this great restaurant and bar area.

• Disliked — Overpriced room, drinks, food
4 Thank hayleynz
Auckland
Reviewed 25 April 2008

We stayed at the hilton in one of their apartments opposite the main hotel building. Our stay was longer than normal so we chose to have an apartment rather than just a room. It works out a little cheaper this way.

The hotel itself is beautiful, and the rooms look fantastic. Unfortunately the apartments are not so well kitted out, but we had everything we needed, including a wonderful view over the harbour and some spectacular sunsets.

The service was excellent - we had a couple of issues during the first week of our stay (like one of the room keys not working), but the staff sorted these out quickly and were on hand to offer help and advice where needed. They all made a point of addressing us by name whenever we wandered into reception, and were happy to chat with us if they had any spare time.

I would agree with others that food and drink at the hotel are very expensive - you can definitely get better deals out on the Viaduct or around town. We never ate dinner in Whites, but the a la carte breakfast was good - the buffet is over-priced.

The gym is decent, although the outdoor pool/sundeck area is a little smaller than it looks on the website. All in all though a great hotel with one of the best locations in Auckland - you can't beat that harbour front view, and it's an easy walk to shops and bars/restaurants.

• Liked — Location
  • Disliked — Food & drink price
4 Thank NZTraveller66
Hampton, VA
Reviewed 20 April 2008

I went to Auckland New Zealand on business and booked a 4-night stay at this hotel. I have always liked Hilton Hotels and this one certainly looked first rate. I arrived after a 21 hour international flight and was greeted (by name) by the front desk who knew I would be arriving at about 5:00 am local time. They had all my check-in paperwork completed and my room keys ready so all I had to do was sign and fork over my Amex for incidentals. I enquired about spa services and they asked if I would like them to set something up and I said yes and told them I would call them once I was up and moving. I was quickly taken to my room which was large, clean, and had a private balcony overlooking the water. The bathroom was huge and fully stocked with every type of Crabtree & Evelyn product one could want. I ordered room service (a Hilton burger) and it arrived within minutes. This was the only downside to the hotel-the food was not very good. I have no problem paying a bit more money for good food, but everything I had there during my stay was expensive and didn't taste very good. Later that evening, I called the front desk about the spa service and they said that the spa closed at 7:00 pm (it was about 8:00 at the time), but they could send someone to me. So about an hour later a massage therapist arrived and gave me a wonderful massage near the balcony overlooking the water. To my surprise, it actually costed less than if I had gone to the spa!
Every day, the room was cleaned and re-stocked and the housekeeping staff was very nice. I was keeping strange hours due to the very different time zone and so several times I was woken up by the staff trying to clean my room, so I kept trying to remember to put the do not disturb sign on my door.
I simply cannot say enough about the staff at this hotel. They were wonderful helpful and did everything they could to make my stay more enjoyable. They called cabs, helped with tours, etc.
The hotel itself was also very beautiful. It looks like a ship and was wonderfully situated in downtown Auckland with tons of places to eat and shop close by.
I would recommend this hotel to anyone traveling to Auckland!

• Liked — The staff
  • Disliked — The price
  • Stayed March 2008, travelled on business