“Lovely hotel with beautiful views.” 4 of 5 bubbles
Review of Hilton Auckland

Hilton Auckland
Ranked #6 of 68 Hotels in Auckland
Melbourne, Australia
“Lovely hotel with beautiful views.”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 November 2013

My partner and I recently stayed at the Hilton for 3 nights. The hotel is beautiful and staff were friendly and helpful. We had a room on level 4 which had a large balcony and wonderful views over Auckland and the ferry terminal.

We stay at hotels often and we expect good service when staying at 5 star hotels. (HH Gold) I point out the good things, but given we often stay at 5* hotels, I will also make observations on aspects that can be improved.

The room we had was large and comfortable. The bed was fairly soft and whilst we prefer a harder bed, it was fine. The bathroom was large with a separate bath and shower. The bathroom products were beautiful. 2 bottles of water were left in the room each day. The room also had tea/coffee making facilities. There was also 2 biscuits with the tea/coffee, however they were never replaced after we ate them on the first night.

The hotel does an evening 'turn down' service and each night left only 1 chocolate. We found this curious given we were a couple staying in the room. Is it expected that we share the chocolate? This is only very minor, but relevant as the hotel is 5*.

We would happily stay at this hotel again if back in Auckland.

We had a drink at the bar one night, and the service was excellent.

Room for improvement:

The hotel only has 2 elevators for the 7 floors of the hotel. We found ourselves waiting several minutes on many occasions for an elevator. Whilst the hotel can't do much about this, it is however annoying.

The staff service at breakfast was particularly poor. Twice we had to wait almost 5 minutes to be seated. Also on 2 occasions we had to wait several minutes for someone to come and serve us at the omelet bar etc. The food selection was great, just the service needs to be improved. Also, head out for a cafe latte, the ones at the hotel are very average.

My electronic room key failed on 3 occasions during our stay. I do not store it next to my mobile phone or other credit cards so there is no reason, that I can make out, why this occurred. Our room was right at the end of the corridor, which meant a long walk back to the lifts and down to reception on each occasion to get it recoded.

• Stayed October 2013, travelled as a couple
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank Curfew156
Roger-Brantsma, General Manager at Hilton Auckland, responded to this review, 6 November 2013
Dear Curfew156

Thank you for posting your detailed review of Hilton Auckland on TripAdvisor. I appreciate your feedback and am glad you enjoyed the hotel’s facilities.

It was our pleasure to welcome you to the ‘City of Sails’ as a Hilton HHonors Gold member and look forward to welcoming you back on future travels.

Kind regards, Roger.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (483)
  • Czech first
  • Indonesian first
  • Korean first
Sydney, Australia
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 November 2013 via mobile

Stayed here for a conference, and got an inside room with minimum view. For the price you pay I would consider the room as pretty small, and very dark most of the day. Bathroom was nice and roomy. Room service and breakfast while pricey, were of a good standard with lots to choose from. Service was great from all aspects, concierge to cleaners to room service all what you would expect from the hilton.

My disappointment was the overpriced wifi, you get 1 hr free-which you can only use in 1 session in the lobby. Also I discovered when checking in they tried to charge me $500 as security on my credit card (my room charges had already been paid in advance) I was then told my card was declined for that amount. After calling Australia and confirming my card was fine, I thought this was really awkward, and left a negative taste for the rest of my visit.

Stayed November 2013, travelled on business
1 Thank Penny H
Dear Penny H

Thank you for taking the time to post your review on TripAdvisor following your recent conference group meeting at the hotel. Your feedback is welcomed as it assists to understand where we do well and where we can improve.

I am glad to read you enjoyed your stay. Having noted your comments regards the frustration when a pre-authorised credit card deposit was requested at check-in, this is a standard process across hotels as it covers payment for any incidental charges incurred at the hotel that may not have been pre-paid. I am sorry for any discomfort this caused.

I hope we will have the opportunity to welcome you back to the City of Sails.

Montville, Australia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 November 2013

We won two nights in this hotel as part of a prize. We would never normally stay in such an expensive place as we are more likely to spend our money on experiences rather than fancy lodging. Our room was perfect with a balcony and a harbour view. We turned the aircon off and slept with the balcony doors open. It was lovely listening to all the boats and ferries coming and going. The staff were all great and ice was brought to our room by room service with no charge. Breakfast was not included which surprised us and the cost of $39 each meant we walked into town for breakfast. Wifi was free in the bar and the lobby but there was a fee if you wanted to use it in your room - when rooms are costing in excess of $400 per night we find it rude that wifi in the room incurs an extra charge!

The pool is a small lap pool on a balcony above the car park with a glass end where you can see below you - quite a novelty, but the freezing wind in October did not entice me into a swim!

Dear DenandAli

Congratulations on being the lucky winner for a two night stay at Hilton Auckland! I am delighted you both enjoyed the hotel’s facilities and unique waterfront location on the Waitemata Harbour.

It was a pleasure having you with us and we hope to maybe welcome you back at some stage in the future.

Columbus, Ohio
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 31 October 2013

I spent the weekend in Auckland, which is simply a great city and one that I would highly recommend to anyone. The downside of Auckland seems to be the lack of many hotel choices, which led me to the Hilton. This property is in a great location on the water and near the heart of many entertaining venues and restaurants. Overall, the hotel was very clean and the staff was always warm and welcoming, but I do feel that the rooms need to have an update in order to match the modern exterior of the building. The rooms were dark and cramped, but it could have been because I was not on the water side, which I would highly recommend to anyone (spend the extra money). My biggest disappointment was their wi-fi service and policies. I am of the opinion that wi-fi in hotels should be complimentary and just built into the price fo the room. To me, I would rather just have it in my room rate and not have to worry about signing up for a day, two or more. To make it worse, you have to set up and pay for wi-fi for EACH of your devices at this hotel. In my case, this is a laptop, iPad and iPhone...so a daily internet charge of $50. This just annoyed me and made me realize the motive of this hotel is to nickel and dime the guests for all that they can. Until they change this policy, I won't be back.

Room Tip: Request a water view...a must!
Dear toomuchtimeintheair

Thank you for posting your review on TripAdvisor. I welcome your feedback and am glad you enjoyed the hotel’s unique location and were able to experience some of this city’s delights.

Having noted your comments regarding Internet charges at the hotel, while not alone among the major hotel operators in charging for the provision of High Speed Internet access, at Hilton Auckland we offer complimentary Wi-Fi in all the public areas of the hotel. Currently, Gold and Diamond Hilton Honors members receive complimentary use of this service across Hilton Hotels Worldwide.

Thank you for choosing to stay at Hilton Auckland and I do hope we have the opportunity to welcome you back on future stays.

Sydney, Australia
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 October 2013

Shower blocked water all over the bathroom floor, room was not ready until 4.00 pm, charged for parking when I did not have a car and someone tried to break into my room whilst I was sleeping as the lock was unlocked and the security bar was not flush against the door when I woke the next morning.

Review collected in partnership with Hilton Hotels & Resorts

1 Thank Kim C
Roger-Brantsma, General Manager at Hilton Auckland, responded to this review, 3 November 2013
Dear Kim C

Thank you for opting to post your review of Hilton Auckland on TripAdvisor. I very much regret the service breakdowns you experienced.

I am aware that our Director of Operations, Garry Lucas has been in direct contact with you after we received the hotel's online survey you completed. Your comments have most certainly been reviewed with the relevant department heads.

The team and I look forward to welcoming you back in the not too distant future and we will ensure you a memorable experience next time around.

Sacramento, California
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 October 2013

We stayed at the Hilton Aukland for six nights toward the end of our six week trip down under. We were definitely after a comfortable, relaxed experience with excellent service, and we weren't disappointed. From the bellman that greeted us ( they were actually like bellman/concierge/coordinators!) to the housekeeping staff ( most consistent, considerate service!) every staff member was friendly, courteous and effective. The breakfast was good, with a couple of really nice touches like shots of fresh watermelon and kiwi juices and spirulina, to freshly made eggs, omelets, and waffles. Get a room with a harbor view, or even a bow room, if available. During our stay, there was a tall ship event that the hotel alerted us to, and we watched them come into the harbor and dock right outside our balcony! Cool.

Room Tip: Harbor views on upper floors are worth the extra cost.
Dear JCHunterB4

Thank you for sharing your complimentary review on TripAdvisor and we are delighted you enjoyed a memorable experience at Hilton Auckland. The hotel certainly does boast an enviable location on the waterfront of Princes Wharf.

It was a pleasure having you with us and we look forward to welcoming you back on future travels.

Melbourne, Australia
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 October 2013

Spent 9 days at the hotel and had a good chance to experience the hotel services. The results were:
Staff very helpful and most remembered me and my preferences.
Staff very polite and treated me as an honoured guest - something difficult to find across the globe these days.
Room was clean and very comfortable - view over harbour and ferry terminal.
Food quality was excellent and dishes ordered often came with a little extra something - always a nice surprise and helped to enhance the experience.
One small issue - chairs in the Bellini bar are very tired and need re-upholstering or replacement. They detract from the overall ambience of the bar.

Room Tip: Select a room with a harbour view - preferably one on the ferry terminal side. You do not have any o...
Dear RLindsayB

Thank you for taking the time to post your review on TripAdvisor following your recent business stay. I appreciate your feedback and was delighted to read that the team took very good care of you and that you left with a favorable impression of the hotel.

Having noted your comments in regards to furnishings within the bar area, I am pleased to advise we will be undertaking a refurbishment project in Bellini during 2014.

We look forward to being of service to you once again should future travels bring you back to the City of Sails.