“Excellent Location and Quality of hotel”
Review of Hilton Auckland

Hilton Auckland
Ranked #7 of 67 Hotels in Auckland
“Excellent Location and Quality of hotel”
Reviewed 10 May 2014

Location was perfect to the location of the Fuller Ferry to the Islands, such as Waiheke Island. Hotel is very clean and staff is very attentive and willing to help and answer any questions. Concierge suggested to make reservation at the Sky tower for lunch. He help to make that for us. It was a beautiful view and we enjoyed the lunch. New Zealand people are very friendly and welcoming. Auckland has a lot to see. Recomment to stay at this hotel.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
Review collected in partnership with Hilton Hotels & Resorts

Roger-Brantsma, General Manager at Hilton Auckland, responded to this review, 12 May 2014
Dear tobim31

Thank you for sharing your favourable review on TripAdvisor. As per my previous correspondence acknowledging the online hotel survey you completed, the team and I are delighted you enjoyed the hotel’s superb location. It was our pleasure to be of service to you and ensure you enjoyed the delights of our ‘City of Sails’.

Kind regards, Roger.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (511)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Czech first
  • Finnish first
  • Indonesian first
  • Korean first
Brisbane, Australia
Reviewed 6 May 2014

Hilton Auckland location is excellent for accessing the CBD, the Wynyard Quarter and the ferry terminal and our room with terrace overlooking the activity of Auckland harbour and docks was quiet & restful.
Had we paid full freight for this (we used Points & Pay method coupled with the Gold membership benefits of free wifi, ets) my review would be different as I do not believe the accommodation and/or the facilities justify the current asking price.
The breakfast offerings in Fish restaurant were quite good however it is the excellent staff there who make the difference.
No executive level in this hotel so two drink vouchers are included at check-in for drinks within a limited range.
Bar service a little scatty.
Nothing to complain in the main about but no compelling reason to return either.

• Stayed April 2014, travelled as a couple
Roger-Brantsma, General Manager at Hilton Auckland, responded to this review, 7 May 2014
Dear Pmariel

It was our pleasure to welcome you as Hilton HHonor Gold travellers and thank you for sharing your feedback on Tripadvisor.

I am glad you enjoyed the location of the hotel and the experience in FISH and Bellini. Your comments have most certainly been taken onboard and we hope to maybe have an opportunity to welcome you back on future travels.

Laguna Beach, California
Reviewed 5 May 2014

Booked a three night stay for business ($343 per night)and ended up checking out after one night and moving to the Crowne Plaza

This hotel is tired, worn and depressing. Lots of stains, chipped paint, smells etc. The rooms are noisy. The bed is overly-soft and moves easily. The bedding rides up revealing a thin, stained mattress. The bathroom seemed dirty (long hair on the tile, some other human marks on the bath). The work desk is ridiculously small. The breakfast was mixed...the fruit/smoothies were great - the hot food was bland. The eggs from the omlette-station were inedible.

I encountered long lines at the front desk at all times. Other staff members were in the background ...only one ever opened up to relieve the delays.

I am a Diamond member who has requested a quiet room on the top level. I was assigned a room opposite the elevators on the fourth floor - lots of crashing doors and chatter all (Saturday) night. There was no club lounge and no other special recognition (bottle of wine in the room perhaps?). There were some drinks vouchers but the bar was closed on my one and only night.

The front desk told me they have no plans to renovate the rooms (they are going to do the bar area soon)

I cancelled my stay and relocated to the Crowne Plaza. This is a tired property too but I booked a spacious club room on the top floor for $227 a night. I am very happy here and saving a lot of money.

This is the first time in my life I have given earning my beloved HHonors points because the hotel was not up to the standard it proclaims to be but I am just fine with my decision. The Hilton promises so much but the execution does not match the price they charge

• Stayed May 2014, travelled on business
3 Thank LeavingOrangeCounty
Roger-Brantsma, General Manager at Hilton Auckland, responded to this review, 5 May 2014
Dear LeavingOrangeCounty

I am disappointed to read your feedback on TripAdvisor and of course sincerely apologize that we were unable to deliver a quality experience to you on this occasion. As a valued Hilton Hhonors Diamond traveller I would very much welcome the opportunity to discuss the matter further with you. Please feel free to contact me directly on email roger.brantsma@hilton.com.

Hong Kong
Reviewed 2 May 2014

Perhaps it is not what I expect from one of the top hotels in a city that I visited for the first time. The hotel is very unlike a city hotel as I hardly see anyone around. Also the hotel looks very similar to all the other apartment blocks on the pier.

Once inside, the staff are very pleasant and accommodating. Although I got the dates of my reservation wrong, they changed it on the spot and assigned the connecting rooms to me as requested. Thank you very much.

The beds are a bit soft and the décor a bit minimal. After staying at the Hilton Queenstown my expectations were high but I guess the Auckland property is a bit older and probably in need of some refurbishment.

Stayed April 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank doobeebaby
Dear doobeebaby

Thank you for posting your review on TripAdvisor. It was a pleasure to welcome you to our boutique hotel situated at the end of Princes Wharf and surrounded by the stunning Waitemata Harbour.

I am pleased to note that the team took good care of you and were able to assist with your reservation adjustments without delay.

Thank you for your loyalty to the Brand and I hope we may have an opportunity to one day welcome you back to the “City of Sails”.

Columbia, MD
Reviewed 29 April 2014

I spent 3 nights here with my family in April. The rooms are very comfortable. We had 2 harbor view rooms with large balconies. The staff is very friendly and accommodating. The location is convenient to the ferries and restaurants. The buffet breakfast, served in a beautiful harbor view restaurant, was outstanding. I had read about the high cost of in-room internet before our trip and saw that Hilton Gold customers received free internet. We got a CITI Hilton Honors credit card before the trip and received immediate Hilton Gold status. That earned us free internet, breakfast and evening drinks in the bar in addition to extra points, which more than covered the fee for the credit card.

Room Tip: Harbor view rooms are worth the extra cost.
  • Stayed April 2014, travelled with family
Roger-Brantsma, General Manager at Hilton Auckland, responded to this review, 30 April 2014
Dear ColumbiaMom

Thank you for taking the time to review us on TripAdvisor and welcome to the Brand as a Hilton HHonors traveller. We are delighted you enjoyed the hotel’s distinctive location and took time to relax in both FISH restaurant and Bellini Bar, both served with spectacular views.

We look forward to welcoming you back on future stays should you return to Auckland.

Kind regards, Roger
Melbourne, Australia
Reviewed 29 April 2014 via mobile

First the good parts. The location of the Hilton Auckland can't be beaten. Great views of the harbour from the room we had. The terrace was a decent size and had a table and two chairs on it.

Service provided by William the bell man was great. Friendly and enthusiastic. Another shout out for the staff at Fish.

Now for the not so good parts! Ok it was the Easter weekend and the hotel seemed to be fairly full. Our room was tiny for the rate of NZ$360 even though it was a "Deluxe" Harbour view. The accommodation is in DIRE need of refurbishment, hasn't altered in the 10 years since my last visit. Think 90's and it hadn't changed since then. The bathrooms the same!

Reception staff were surly and the concierge gave us the wrong time for our return transport to the airport. We arrived and went to the room to find the corridor full of step ladders, wires and technicians trying to get the new key system working. Internet was woefully slow as well.

I did get some perks for being a diamond HHonors member, drink vouchers and full breakfast. However compared to recent stays at other Hilton's, I wouldn't return to this Hilton again. There are newer properties with larger rooms at better prices. I chose this hotel based on my diamond status and it was a mistake.

• Stayed April 2014
2 Thank jakin4
Dear jakin4

Thank you for taking the time to post a review on TripAdvisor and I am pleased you enjoyed the experience in FISH restaurant and the location on Princes Wharf overlooking the harbour.

Having noted your feedback, I do apologize for the inconsistencies you experienced during your time with us. Your comments have most certainly been taken onboard and shared with the team.

At Hilton Auckland, we strive to offer a quality service for our valued guests and I am disappointed that we did not achieve this. Your loyalty to the Brand is very much appreciated and I hope we may have an opportunity to one day welcome you back to the “City of Sails”.

Chicago, Illinois
Reviewed 28 April 2014

Stayed at hotel in April 2014. Hotel is very conveniently located to the ferries to Waiheke island and Rangitoto Island. The beds in the room were incredibly comfortable. The staff was very friendly and accommodating. The restaurant offers indoor and outdoor seating with views overlooking the wharf. The hotel is within walking distance to the ferries and many shops and restaurants.

• Stayed April 2014, travelled solo
Roger-Brantsma, General Manager at Hilton Auckland, responded to this review, 29 April 2014
Dear diamondHH

I am delighted you enjoyed your stay at Hilton Auckland and thank you for sharing your complimentary review on TripAdvisor. The hotel certainly does boast a desirable waterfront location, whilst being in very close proximity to the hub of the city’s sights and entertainment precinct.

It was a pleasure having you with us and we look forward to welcoming you back on future travels.