I know that it is for practical reasons that all of the bed linen in hotel rooms is white but it can feel quite clinical, especially when you’re escaping for a romantic ‘getaway’. Big hotel chains are more about providing service than charm. In the purely practical sense Hilton did a fabulous job. They are great at the small stuff – small details like chocolates left on the pillows, the newspaper delivered in a Hilton labelled bag, the room scrupulously clean; you couldn’t fault them. But, for couples wanting a romantic interlude this hotel may leave you wanting; it lacks any real personality or charm.
I can see why hotel chains like the Hilton appeal to businessmen. It is because they conform to a certain template. A hotel room in Hong Kong is much like one in Auckland, which is in turn like one in Sydney. One of the defining characteristics of international hotel chains is that the rooms always seem quite tight, though on this occasion, I must say that the bathroom was fairly luxurious and large – the sound from the television could be piped into the bathroom while you lounged in the bath. We had a lovely view but unfortunately because of the way the hotel is configured (not all rooms get an ocean view) the decks are a common area. This did destroy privacy and meant that every time you got changed you had to draw the curtains. Sigh!
The Hilton Hotel is a well-respected worldwide brand and it rightly deserves the recognition it has earned. However, I would suggest that for couples wanting a weekend away, you might consider a different option.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Hilton Auckland sits on the iconic Princes Wharf 300 meters out into the Waitemata Harbour. Enjoy views over the city or past the harbour to the Hauraki Gulf. Take a trip from the nearby Ferry terminal or enjoy the fun at the nearby Viaduct or Britomart precincts. Whether for business or leisure, Hilton Auckland is ideally located on the vibrant Auckland waterfront. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Hilton EMEA, Expedia, Booking.com, Agoda, Evoline ltd, Hotels.com, Ebookers, HotelsClick, Cancelon, HotelQuickly, 5viajes2012 S.L. and getaroom.com so you can book your Hilton Auckland reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Hilton Auckland Hotel Auckland Central
- Auckland Hilton
- Hilton Auckland New Zealand