“Great location and helpful staff!”
Review of Hilton Auckland

Hilton Auckland
Ranked #6 of 66 Hotels in Auckland Central
Reviewed 22 January 2009

I booked 3 nights at the Hilton Auckland using my husband's HHonors points. We were not disappointed. The location was great with easy access to ferries and restaurants. The room had a nice-sized bathroom and came with complimentary breakfast for the 2 of us (plus they did not charge for the kids' breakfast) and a balcony with fantastic views of the harbour. The staff was always friendly and helpful. I would certainly recommend this hotel to friends, family, and business associates, and am looking forward to making a return trip in the future.

• Stayed: December 2008, travelled with family
2  Thank staceyss
Write a ReviewReviews (2,437)

Reviewed 17 January 2009

Truly outstanding Hilton Hotel in a wonderful location. Really hospitable warm staff, excellent room, way exceeded expectations, food in White restaurant was extremely good and well priced too, overall stay exceeded expectations - highly recommendable to anyone, so close to the activity of the harbour too.

• Stayed: December 2008, travelled on business
1  Thank Joemalone123
Reviewed 16 January 2009

Choosing a hotel in Auckland proved slightly tricky as so many reviews warn of noise from harbour-front bars and outdoor restaurants: warnings well made in many cases. But the Hilton Auckland proved the perfect location - on a quiet wharf with no noisy bars, and fantastic views back on the city. The rooms are immaculate, and both times we stayed there we were upgraded to a stunning corner room. The staff were universally fantastic at every level, were without exception friendly and offering help, and it really felt like a very happy hotel in terms of staf morale. One of the concierges was particularly helpful and diligent in chasing the airport when a bag was lost by the airline. The hotel also emailed us to warn that a cruise ship was docking on our second visit and some views might be obscured. All in all a faultless experience.

• Stayed: November 2008, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Spinnaker47
Reviewed 1 January 2009

This is a great hotel. It is quite expensive and I used points to stay here so I cannot comment on the value for the price. From my perspective, the rooms were excellent. My room was very spacious and the bathroom was huge with both a shower and a jacuzzi tub. It looked like the hotel was brand new or recently re-done.

The hotel location is great as well. It is within walking distance to some excellent restaurants and activities. The ferries all leave right next to the hotel and many of the tours also pick up from the warf as well.

The only negatives for the hotel was the internet. It is quite expensive and the hotel limits your bandwith and I would have expected more from the fitness center. As hotel fitness centers go, it is better than most but still, for such a nice hotel it could have been better.

Also, I was staying at the hotel when a cruise ship docked. It docks right next to the hotel and everyone on the ship can see into your room if you do not have the shades closed. The hotel did notify me before my arrival that this was going to happen and was not that big of a deal since the ship departed after 24 hours.

Overall, I think this is a great hotel in a great location. Whether it is worth the price, I cannot say but it is definately a high end hotel.

• Stayed: October 2008, travelled solo
1  Thank UTLonghorn2
Reviewed 28 November 2008

This was an expensive hotel and we had booked 2 nights (3 days) here in the middle of a Cook Islands and Fiji holiday to celebrate a big birthday for me. We arrived very early in the morning at the airport and the chauffeur driven car (arranged by my husband as a surprise) from the Hilton was waiting for us at the airport. We were welcomed at the hotel and told to have a seat for a while as our room was being cleaned and wasn't quite ready.
After a short while, they called us back to reception and they wished me happy birthday and told us that they had upgraded us from the Hilton King double room we had booked to a deluxe room with harbour view - compliments of the management. That was a lovely surprise for us and we were taken to the room (#404) - which was stunning. Wow what a fantastic room, spotless, nice decor, large super kingsized bed, settee, circular swivel chair, desk with internet connection, big wardrobe with plenty of hangers and room, combination safe and places to put your luggage.
There was a large flat screen TV, electric blinds on the floor to ceiling windows. A large cupboard revealed a comprehensive range of mini bar goodies and price list. There was an espresso coffee machine with complimentary 'pods' to use. The fridge contained all manner of stuff you could possibly want to buy; alcohol, soft drinks, chocolate, nuts etc. Great variety.
The room had a lovely thick carpet and was very comfortable and there was a beautiful panoramic view from the windows. The room is a sort of triangle shape and the whole of one side is floor to ceiliing glass, giving a great view of Auckland Harbour with all the boats etc.
The bathroom was perfect! All the walls and floor are of pale grey marble, double sinks, nice bath, walk in shower with lots of settings. Floor to ceiling heated mirror - brilliant as it doesn't steam up. Lots of complimentary toilettries (Crabtree & Evelyn La Source) soaps, shower gels, shampoo, conditioner, loufah, body lotions, shaving kits, dental kits, combs, tissues, shoe horns, bath fizzers, nail kits, etc etc the list goes on and on. Big fluffy towels and lots of them, slippers, bathrobes, scales etc. It all makes you feel really pampered and well looked after. They even pop into your room, turn down the sheets and leave a 'Hilton' chocolate on your pillow!
Complimentary bottles of water were also delivered.
A plate of white Belgium chocolates arrived for me with a personal message from the management wishing me happy birthday - how nice was that.
There is a small swimming pool on the same floor as us, but it was very cold and windy that day so we didn't get to try it out - it looked interesting though, with lounger chairs beside it. It was near to the sauna and what looked to be a very well equiped gym.

The service from everyone from checking in to check out was given with a smile and at no time were people hovering for tips. A really great place.
It's very local for all the attractions and I had a great birthday dinner up in the Orbit Restaurant in the Sky Tower - just a short walk away. We were right near the ferries too, so a trip over to Davenport and another to see the whales and dolphins was exceptional (even though we didn't see whales). Never seen so many dolphins together before.
The Hilton was certainly not cheap and we didn't have any meals there, we saved quite a bit by eating out and there's lots to choose from within walking distance. Would recommend Danny Doolan's Irish Pub on the harbour - very large portions and well cooked food - not expensive either.
Overall it was a lovely clean and comfortable room with everything you could possibly want and one of the best showers we had all holiday! Central to everything too and the staff and management really made it a great stay and a birthday to remember. I would thoroughly recommend it.

• Stayed: October 2008, travelled as a couple
9  Thank GinaG
Reviewed 8 November 2008

The location is excellent right at the heart of the waterside. Lots of restaurants ,bars and ferries to the islands. The public rooms are a bit soulless which is due to the design of the hotel, but this is more than made up by the view from the windows.

Door staff were helpful and friendly ( especially William), booking in and out was problem free - I was allocated exactly the room I had booked. I did not use the restaurants and had room service a couple of nights which was OK . My room was cleaned well and quickly. Prices in the hotel are very reasonable for a hotel of its grade.

The cruise ship came in, yes if you are facing the dock it is very close. I did not cause any problem, I was out all day. Had a great chat with the passengers in the cabins across from my balcony and we all took photos of each other - and yes, everyone keeps reminding you to make sure you have clothes on when you open the curtains in the morning!

Before I arrived I read reviews on this site which gave reports of building works causing noise - there are no building works. It is an unusual hotel both due to its location and design which makes it so much more interesting to the usual chain city hotel.

• Stayed: October 2008, travelled on business
3  Thank phillywe
Reviewed 27 October 2008

This hotel has a very nice location in the harbour. It is a small hotel and does not feel like a Hilton. It has a sort of modern and minimalistic design. Mostly white, gray and metal. We stayed in a Bow suite with an excellent view and a big balcony. If it is cold and raining though You can´t use the balcony and the whole place with all the glass windows feels cold. On a warm sunny day, the opposite, but we had mostly cold and rainy days.
Service mostly very good but not always.

• Stayed: October 2008, travelled on business