This Hotel has both self catering apartments and hotel rooms, I stayed in the rooms so my review refers to the room stay.
Firstly the location is great, near enough to the various sites, such as the wonderful Auckland Museum and, where it's a little too far to walk, very good bus transportation to anywhere else in Auckland you need to go to. The Parnell location is also a beautiful part of town with many of the older Houses reflecting the architectural heritage of the city. There are also good dining options on Parnell Road to suit a wide price range and variety. If you are there on weekends, don't miss the various Farmers Markets, there's a nice one at the Parnell Community Centre on Saturdays. Do also visit the Rose Garden, its definitely worth spending a bit of time there just to relax.
The Hotel itself is clean and well maintained. The front office reception, when I arrived late in the evening, was efficient, friendly and very helpful with directions and information. The Hotel restaurant also offers good value (by Auckland standards) and quality. One nice facility is the Guest Laundry, well equipped and clean.
The only minor complaint I have is that the room's heater, while efficient, radiates a flashing blue array of lights which tends to be distracting when you are trying to sleep. My suggestion to the hotel is to block the lights with some sort of tape.
One last bit of information, there's a nice and friendly cafe along Parnell Road which serves great coffee and value for money breakfasts. The owner is very friendly and enthusiastic, it's called "Cafe Lava". Do keep in mind that prices at cafes, pubs and restaurants range in the NZ$12 to $30 range per head for food. Your cheaper choices are pizza joints, sandwiches from cafes or the usual fast food outlets.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Auckland's Quality Hotel Parnell has recently completed a four year refurbishment programme and is proud of the ongoing commitment to provide quality rooms for our valued guests. The Hotel offers free onsite parking, free wireless internet, free morning newspaper, 24 hour reception, room service and porters, coffee shop/cafe, restaurant and bar. The Hotel does not charge a credit card surcharge. Auckland's Quality Hotel Parnell is within walking distance of the historic Parnell village, Auckland CBD, Auckland Domain and Museum, Newmarket shopping precinct and close to the Auckland Hospital, Auckland University and the Vector arena. We have a contract for exclusive taxi services from the Hotel to the Domestic and or International airports for a fixed cost of NZ$45.00. The Auckland Explorer Bus stops directly outside our Hotel on it's daily circuit. Quality Hotel Parnell Ltd is owned by the Norman F B Barry Foundation, being a charitable trust registered under the Charities Act 2005. Registration No: CC33047. Our continuing goal is to support medical research in New Zealand and also make scholarships available to young New Zealand science graduates, who are in need of financial assistance. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Expedia, Odigeo, Hotels.com and Agoda so you can book your Quality Hotel Parnell reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Barrycourt Hotel Auckland
- Quality Hotel Parnell Auckland, New Zealand