This is certainly not a five star hotel - in fact it's a pretty old motel that used to be called Barrycourt. But there has been a lot of renovation and the room interiors have come up pretty well. We arrived at night and I had a sinking feeling looking at the concrete block building - it's not pretty and I was concerned how things would be inside. We had booked a 2 bedroom apartment on Level 3. On check in the lobby was fine and it was easy to park outside - rather like motel parking outside the building - which was very easy and convenient. Our apartment was quite large - both bedrooms had 2 beds - one with 2 doubles and the other had a double and a single The bathroom was large enough (with a washer and dryer inside), a kitchen and a lounge room with all the usual features and a deck outside with a nice view of Auckland. You can certainly tell it's an old hotel but the refurb is tastefully done and everything was clean and tidy and modern. The bedrooms had old fashioned wardrobes - the kind that have a dressing table built into the centre - but it provided more more useful space than most modern bedroom furnishings.
Internet is free - but you need to join the club! After signing up to the the Quality Hotel club we had free internet access and it was great high speed internet that worked brilliantly - this is a huge advantage as so many hotels charge a bomb for internet. Location is another great thing about this hotel - it's about 5 mins walk to Parnell Road - a street full of coffee shops and restaurants - and some fab boutiques. It's so much nicer in Parnell than the city (just 5-7 mins away) - so why wouldn't you want to stay here!
The only downside of the hotel was noise - but a very particular noise. On the first night, I could hear voices like they were next to me - as it turned out, there were people sitting on their deck above our room and the voices just carry so much. I actually had to call Reception at 2am to say the voices were getting quite loud and I was unable to sleep and within minutes it stopped. The next couple of nights there were obviously older people in the room above so their voices were quieter when they sat on their deck - but even then, for some reason if someone is sitting on the deck above you, you hear everything. That's actually quite a big downside if you're a light sleeper but I guess it depends on what sort of room you have!.
We paid NZ$196 a night for our 2 bedroom apartment and we booked that directly with the hotel. That's amazing value! Next time we book, I will check about the noise issues and choose a room accordingly but at that price with parking and internet and lovely staff at the hotel, you simply can't do better in Auckland. I normally use booking engines but with this hotel, call them directly as you get just as good a deal - or better!
We will definitely be back.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Auckland's Quality Hotel Parnell has recently completed a four year refurbishment programme and is proud of the ongoing commitment to provide quality rooms for our valued guests. The Hotel offers free onsite parking, free wireless internet, free morning newspaper, 24 hour reception, room service and porters, coffee shop/cafe, restaurant and bar. The Hotel does not charge a credit card surcharge. Auckland's Quality Hotel Parnell is within walking distance of the historic Parnell village, Auckland CBD, Auckland Domain and Museum, Newmarket shopping precinct and close to the Auckland Hospital, Auckland University and the Vector arena. We have a contract for exclusive taxi services from the Hotel to the Domestic and or International airports for a fixed cost of NZ$45.00. The Auckland Explorer Bus stops directly outside our Hotel on it's daily circuit. Quality Hotel Parnell Ltd is owned by the Norman F B Barry Foundation, being a charitable trust registered under the Charities Act 2005. Registration No: CC33047. Our continuing goal is to support medical research in New Zealand and also make scholarships available to young New Zealand science graduates, who are in need of financial assistance. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Hotels.com, Odigeo, Agoda, TripOnline SA, Traveltool, S.L.U., Evoline ltd and HotelQuickly so you can book your Quality Hotel Parnell reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Barrycourt Hotel Auckland
- Quality Hotel Parnell Auckland, New Zealand