“a little gem in a great location”

Scenic Hotel Auckland
Ranked #24 of 66 Hotels in Auckland Central
Reviewed 23 February 2012

We were pleasantly surprised by the service, location and facilities here. Rooms are large, with kitchenettes -- even a stocked mini-bar! For the money, this hotel is excellent value and even the restaurant had wonderful food. Very helpful staff

• Stayed: February 2012
Write a ReviewReviews (1,023)

Reviewed 9 February 2012

Stayed here for just one night. Firstly, they were very accommodating when we arrived at 8.00 am. from a cruise ship, and they let us into our room straight away, which was great. Large room with a well equipped kitchen area and a small but adequate shower room. Apart from probably the most comfortable bed I've ever slept in, the room was a bit bleak and cheerless, not helped by the very large bare window which had just a roman blind, which was obviously either up, and as the room was very overlooked, was not good, or down and the room was pitch black. A voile curtain would have been nice, giving privacy and light.

Good location and just minutes from the main street. Breakfast however was very poor. It was almost as if they just couldnt really be bothered. Very little choice, no customer service whatever, reminded me of a motorway service station restaurant.

Room Tip: Ask for a room with curtains!
  • Stayed: January 2012, travelled as a couple
2  Thank polly66Hertfordshire
Reviewed 3 February 2012

You know, I read all the reviews before booking here, and although none were raving in flavor of this property, none were completely disappointed either. And that is exactly how I feel...it was clean which is very important, and the staff was lovely, which is helpful. The location was good for a couple of reasons... First, it was central. Which means that you ane not close to the Harbour, but the bus is close by and for $.50, you can get there in ten minutes. It is also two minutes away from the Aotea Center, if you are planning a movie or an event there. Secondly, the Airport Express stops literally at the from door, which is helpful if you are messing with luggage.
A Couple of things happened during our stay. The A/C went out, so it was very hot one night. When they got it fixed, there was an awful humming noise that made it difficult to sleep. BUT, the staff did get the problem fixed in short order. Then there is a (potential) problem with construction noise from next door. It started about 7:30 in the morning. But, since we are early to bed and early to rise, it was not much of a factor for us. If we had wanted to sleep in, this would have been a problem.
I heard others say that the rooms are large. I would think this is subjective, and depends on your frame of reference. The room size is adequate. The bathroom IS spacious, and in my opinion, they should have made the shower large enough to bend down to pick up the soap bar when you drop it.
You would think that after all I have said, I would not recommend this hotel, but, actually, I would stay here again. Major city hotels are a matter of trade offs. How much are you willing to spend for what you want. For me, clean takes precedence over anything else. The room and lobby furnishings are a little tired, but everything was clean. The bed was only a double for the two of us, but it was clean and comfortable.
Bottom line is that we were not willing to spend another $100 a night for posh surroundings or $200 or more for a Harbour location.

Room Tip: My room did not have a cook top, only a microwave. So, if you are planning to cook breakfast or a li...
  • Stayed: February 2012, travelled as a couple
3  Thank Geri D
Reviewed 1 February 2012

Hotel is in great location.

Our room 611 had kitchenettes with microwave, toaster, plates, cutlery etc. Double bedroom plus single bed in lounge/kitchen area.

Laundry room with slot payment which is first we have found travelling around the world.

Wifi in room on iPad $5 24 hrs so cheap.

Staff brilliant.

Would recommend it.

• Stayed: February 2012
1  Thank SueH9
Reviewed 31 January 2012

Wasnt sure what to expect when I booked two room for NYE as a last minute deal. Friendly staff, one of the rooms we had was very compact, however the second room was awesome! It was on the corner of the building with separate spacious rooms for the same price. Had great view of Aotea square. Traffic noise was high, but the kitchens in both rooms were unexpected. No baths. I will be staying here again.

• Stayed: January 2012
Reviewed 20 January 2012

I stay at the Scenic Hotel AKL often, and find it a really good property,
You are not paying 5 star rates for the accommodation, nor the food and beverage.
The hotel is simple but very very clean and the staff are very good ranging from Front Office and restaurant.
No matter what time I check in, i am always greeted with friendly courteous service.,
It has a 'homely' feel and you soon get to know the restaurant staff too. Francine is very friendly as is the young Scottish man (whom I just cant remember his name).
The room is furnished simply but so very clean and the best part is the kitchenette which gives you so much freedom when it comes to doing your own food - though the food in the restaurant is very good and great value. They are special nights for $25 for meal and a beer/wine too.
The bed linen is extremely clean which pleases me greatly, the only thing I sometines wonder about is the beds have a very soft covering on the mattress and sometimes you just feel like a harder bed.. but I guess that is totally personal choice.
I would totally recommend this hotel if you are on a budget and you have high standards.

• Stayed: January 2012, travelled on business
2  Thank Luv2travelNZ
Reviewed 17 January 2012

Unfortunateli I slept only one night in this hotel, but I was very happy with my choice. The location is good (directly on Queen Street), but not great (the port area is far away). All high-level: reception (and receptionist, very pretty...), very nice clean room (very large!), services, kindness, sense of hospitality. In view of the service (very good) I paid a very fair price. Reccomended!

• Stayed: January 2012, travelled solo