“Nice, but Noisy, Noisy, Noisy”

Scenic Hotel Auckland
Ranked #20 of 66 Hotels in Auckland
Wellington, New Zealand
“Nice, but Noisy, Noisy, Noisy”
Reviewed 4 December 2012

We spent two, very LONG nights at the Scenic Hotel in downtown Auckland. Had we not prepaid through a travel site, we likely would have gone somewhere else. The rooms themselves are very clean, modern and comfortable. Big, updated bathroom with fantastic water pressure. Overall, our room was very nice. It was the most comfortable hotel bed I've experienced in a while. Internet is a bit expensive though. Great view of the Sky Tower, easy walking to all the touristy spots.

However, the real shame is that you can't sleep much with all the street noise. Kind of defeats the purpose of a hotel.

From the looks of the windows, they might be original to the building itself. They're drafty, thin, and it's obvious the hotel knows it, because they've installed super thick insulated drapes. Sirens and honking horns happen, but across Queen Street is a bar which seems to let out around 330-4am. I know, because I was awake for it. We could hear yelling, live music, hoots and hollers like we were right there with them. If the hotel were to update the windows, the noise issue would be gone and this would be a super fabulous hotel to stay in.

As an aside, I was underwhelmed by the staff: At check in (we were late from the airport) I had to call the main hotel number to get a hold of someone to check us in. There was no one manning the front desk. Upon checking out, when asked about my stay, I noted the nice room, but mentioned the noise issue to clerk, and was told: "Aww, yeah. Queen Street on a Friday night is something to be experienced." Not exactly the response I was hoping for. A "sorry about that" would have been appreciated.

Room Tip: Get a room that isn't facing Queen Street
  • Stayed November 2012, travelled as a couple
1 Thank PinkLobsters
Ken M, General Manager at Scenic Hotel Auckland, responded to this review, 9 December 2012
Hi
I am writing to apologise that you were inconvenienced by moise during your recent stay.
The hotel is directly opposite Q theatre and at this time of year they have occasional upscale events that finish quite late. We are investigating replacement windows but there are difficult issues being investigated and resolved around that project.
Our fantastic wireless internet service is only $10 per day so we do not consider it expensive.
Thank you for taking the time to comment.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (204)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Vietnamese first
Omokoroa NZ
Reviewed 1 December 2012

Very central to the all the cinemas & theatres in Queen Street Auckland. So if its ballet, musical theatre or another event on your agenda then this is the place to stay. While the hallway colours were not to my personal taste the rooms were done in pleasant netural tones. We had 3 rooms and each was a little different in layout which added to the charm of this place. A lovely room with a seperate kitchen, lounge area with large flat sreen TV. The bed was very comfortable. Lots of hot water & good water pressure from the shower. If I had to quibble then it's that the showers could be a little bigger - 1 of our party is well over 6 foot & he found the showers a bit on the small size. We had dinner & breakfast there - meals are more bistro style - I had the beef noodles, while my friends enjoyed ceasar salad & fish & chips. All the meals were fine, but if you want 5 star dinning then head off into town. It costs $20 to have the car parked but if you ask nicely they may well let you leave the car parked for the day when you check out - we did this - very useful if you want to do some more shopping. There is no pool here - so if thats high on your list of needs look elsewhere. Staff are pleasent and friendly. I will be back.

Room Tip: Ask nicely & staff may let you leave the car there for the day when you check out at no extra c...
  • Stayed December 2012, travelled on business
North Vancouver, Canada
Reviewed 30 November 2012

The hotel is located downtown right in the middle of everything. Our room overlooked Queen's street and only had single pane windows, and the noise at night and early morning very a little annoying. But having said that the room/ suite was first class. Separate bedroom to the sitting room and a beautiful if not a little small bathroom. Very well appointed with all the little things that made our stay very pleasant. It also had a small kitchen with all of the appliances and cutlery. Coffee, tea and hot chocolate supplied. The Restaurant was very nice and very reasonable , the best value of any hotel restaurant of note that I have ever stayed in. The staff were very friendly, but having said that, everyone in New Zealand was exceptionally friendly. I would definitely stay at the scenic hotel again given the chance.

Room Tip: Perhaps get room in the rear of the hotel for a better sleep as the rooms on queen street are single...
  • Stayed November 2012, travelled as a couple
Halifax, Nova Scotia
Reviewed 28 November 2012

We spent 2 nights here while we explored Auckland.
The reception staff were very pleasant and helpful. Our apartment faced Queen Street but we were not disturbed by street noise. The aprtment was quite spacious for the 2 of us. It was clean, well equipped and comfortable. We cooked dinner and had no problems with the kitchenette.
The location is very convenient - there is a good choice of restaurants in the area.
We felt happy with the hotel and would stay again.

• Stayed October 2012, travelled with family
New Zealand
Reviewed 28 November 2012

3rd stay here but first non-solo trip. The last 2 times I stayed here I was put in a room looking over over the side street (Airedale). This one as was staying in a twin room the first night and a triple the 2nd night was allocated Room 611 overlooking Queen Street. I was at first worried about noise issues due to previous reviews I had seen posted here. But it turned out not to be a problem. Yes there was a nightclub which was still in full swing at 10.30 when we returned from seeing a show at the Civic but shortly after the music stopped and we had no problems sleeping. I stayed with my Sister the first night and then my husband and son the 2nd. For all of them it was their first stay here and they liked it and agreed with me they would return. Kudos to the check-in guy at reception who hunted around to see if he could allocate me a room that did not require me to check-out then check-in again on 2nd night as was going from a twin to a triple. He didn't have to do that but it was appreciated. Just wish they had better selection of channels on the TV as missed my Fox News and CNN. They only had Sky news but then I really wasn't in Auckland to watch TV! only a few mins walk to the Civic where we saw Mary Poppins. Easy walk to Sky Tower and the wharf area.

Room Tip: probably ask for a room overlooking side street
  • Stayed November 2012, travelled with family
Standish, United Kingdom
Reviewed 25 November 2012

Convenient location minutes away from the city centre. The blue airbus shuttle from the airport stops opposite the hotel. Room was of the aparthotel type with well stocked kitchen, 2 seater couch with coffee table, kitchen table with 2 chairs and good sized TV. The bedroom was not separate and was "compact" the bed taking up most of the available space. There was a small bedside table on one side of the bed and a small built in wardrobe on the other - more like a cupboard.Colour scheme was quite garish and dated. The Ritz it was not, but it was functional and for a city centre location good value. Meals were available at the adjoining cafe which could be accessed via the hotel and meals charged to the room.There were a range of reasonably priced breakfast options . Staff were friendly and helpful.

• Stayed October 2012, travelled as a couple
Bathurst, Australia
Reviewed 24 November 2012

Great price, but he room is too small for 2 adults and a 6 year old. No where for bags let alone groceries and cooking. Great location and friendly staff. Was a bit noisy but otherwise fine. Suggest the room only be for 2. Remove the other bed and put in a lounge.

Stayed September 2012, travelled with family