“Fulfilled our needs”

Ranked #20 of 66 Hotels in Auckland
Sydney, Australia
“Fulfilled our needs”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 December 2013

The hotel is located centrally in Auckland CBD and lies near a number of cafes and shops along the major street, Queen St. We booked a superior room for two nights and found the rooms were spacious yet slightly dated in furnishings. We enjoyed that in our particular room the bedroom could be closed off from the living room which helped to block out some noise which came into our room from the adjacent busy street. Whilst the room was tidy and generally suited our needs, the airconditioning was not working in our room. We were then transferred to another room (after several staff members and one manager later concluding that it was indeed not working), however, these rooms were less impressive than our first. The only benefit was that the airconditioning was working properly. The mattresses were overly soft, but I guess that depends on your taste and there were a few minor cleanliness issues with our second room as my partner noticed several hairs on our towels. Overall, however our stay was adequate. One particularly good thing about the hotel is the wifi access and its restaurant located on the ground level.

• Stayed December 2013, travelled as a couple

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (204)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Vietnamese first
London, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 December 2013

First, the staff at this hotel were wonderful. For the value it was excellent and delivered just what we needed. The room was very small but the beds were very comfortable and the room was clean. It is located in the center of town which we were able to walk to all of the destinations we wanted to visit. We wanted value & location and that is what we got with a very helpful and friendly staff.

• Stayed December 2013, travelled with family
Cairo, Egypt
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 November 2013

This is a very nice hotel in a very strategic location to down town, all malls, all tourist attractions are on route of the bus lines. Clean spacious rooms and the staff is very friendly. Maybe the restaurant could provide more of choice but still a nice restaurant with friendly staff. It is highly recommended.

Room Tip: Rooms viewing the road are larger
  • Stayed December 2012, travelled solo
Wellington, New Zealand
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 November 2013

This is a real find. Great location - on the airport bus route. The apartments are well presented with a very comfortable bed and roomy bathroom. Room service from the cafe was excellent with reasonable prices. Staff were all friendly and helpful

• Stayed November 2013, travelled on business
Hamilton
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 November 2013

The location of the hotel was ideal as it was directly opposite the Q theatre where we were going to see a show. Thats where the good ends. The room itself was teeny but that in itself is not a deal breaker. The largest window had a giant crack running through it. The windows barely managed to shut properly, and the street noise made for a very loud night! The wide screen tv was not set on the right aspect ratio and was not able to be adjusted, making it difficult to watch anything. The shower was so small that I doubt even a hobbit could have a comfortable shower in. The shower rose was leaking. The bed was lumpy and seemed passed its use by date. The whole thing was just plain shabby! Very disappointing.

• Stayed November 2013, travelled as a couple
Auckland Region, New Zealand
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 November 2013

I stayed by myself for three nights in a superior room. I chose the hotel because of previous stays at other Scenic Hotels as well as the location to the venue where I was attending a course at AUT. It was only 5 minutes walk away. I arrived very early on the first morning and was able to have my luggage stored at the hotel for the day before I checked in that afternoon so I didn't have to take my luggage to the course which was extremely helpful. Also, the same applied on the last day which I was very grateful for their help. I was very happy with the comfortable décor and the quietness of my room. The bed was blissful! The friendliness of the staff was also noticeable. I have one recommendation: The environmental sign in the bathroom about reusing towels to save the overuse of washing didn't appear to be noticed by the cleaning staff. Even though I had put my used linen on the towel rail, each day it was taken away and new linen replaced it which I thought was a bit strange. I bought my own breakfast supplies and found that the kitchen appliances were adequate. I would certainly be happy to recommend the hotel to others. Thank you.

Room Tip: My room on the 5th floor was facing out onto a no exit side street which was very quiet. The curtai...
  • Stayed November 2013, travelled solo
Wellington, New Zealand
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 November 2013

Scenic Hotel is ideally situated on Queen Street - before the street starts to get steep- with a Auckland airport bus stop right outside. Close to Civic and Aotea Centre. I have stayed several times now- always very clean and tidy- staff friendly and welcoming.
I have always had a back facing room and have never been bothered by street noise. MLC cafe on site is handy and offers tasty fare.

• Stayed November 2013, travelled as a couple