“Good Hotel, the location will get you fit”

Grand Millennium Auckland
Ranked #12 of 67 Hotels in Auckland
Nottingham, United Kingdom
“Good Hotel, the location will get you fit”
Reviewed 17 January 2013

This is a good hotel that could ge great with very little effort.
We had a lovely hige room that has recently been refurbished, but htere was no safe, something that I expect these days, although you can use the safety deposit boxes at reception.
Gym and Swimming pool were great, and there is alovely outside area that with a bit of tender loving care could be excellant and a real bonus to the hotel.
Rooms were kept clean and tidy but sometimes it was late in the afternoon before the room got serviced.
The only downside to this is its location as it is a good 15 minute walk to the harbour area and thats back up hill on the way back to the hotel, although the hotel is on the city bus loop that costs something like a $1 a trip.
all in all I would not hesitate to use or recommend this hotel in the future

• Stayed January 2013, travelled as a couple
RendezvousAuckland, General Manager at Grand Millennium Auckland, responded to this review, 24 January 2013
Dear jec01,

Thank you for taking the time to complete your review of Rendezvous Grand Hotel following your recent stay in New Zealand. We were delighted to read that you enjoyed your stay and found our refurbished rooms to be comfortable and clean, the final part of our refurbishment is the installation of In room Guest Safes, over 90% of the hotel is compete and we expect to finish the remainder this month.

Thank you once again and we look forward to welcoming you back to the hotel and New Zealand in the very near future.

Best regards Paul

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (487)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Greek first
  • Korean first
  • Thai first
Hamilton, New Zealand
Reviewed 14 January 2013

The stay at the hotel was pleasant enough with reasonable facilities. Nothing to complain about.

I managed to forget something in the room I was staying in. It wasn't anything fancy, just some toiletries that I had purchased overseas and couldn't get in NZ. I checked out and and realised later that day that I had left something in the room. I phoned the hotel once I had realised my mistake (about 3pm) and told a staff member that I had left something, where I had left it, and exactly what it was. I was told that it wouldn't be a problem and that room service would pick up the lost item and hand it in that day. The staff member was pleasant enough and took my details and promised to call me back.

I didn't hear anything for a few days and assumed they must have forgotten to call back. I rang back and asked what had happened. I was told that nothing had been handed in. I was somewhat surprised by this given I had called the same day I had checked out and was told that room service had not been completed yet. The staff member told me that they would look to replace it as it must have been thrown out. Again, they took my details and promised to get a duty manager to call me back.

I didn't hear back from the hotel for a week so decided to call again. I spoke to a duty manager who had no idea what I was talking about. They promised to get in touch with "lost and found" that day and call me back once they had figured out what had happened.

Another few days goes by and I haven't heard anything so I follow up again. This time I get another duty manager who again has no idea what I'm talking about. This time, the duty manager says that they won't be replacing the item as the hotel does not take any responsibility for guest's property left in rooms. I questioned whether that was such a sound blanket policy but was told that was the hotel's policy and they would not be replacing it. The duty manager said he would double check with "lost and found", though, and get back to me once he had talked to them. Another week has passed with no call back.

The fact that the item is gone is annoying and I know that I should have been more careful. However, I am disappointed that I notified the hotel staff on the same day I checked out, told them where it was etc, and I have been told that nothing was handed in. I am disappointed that, despite being promised on four occasions that the Hotel would contact me, no one has called me to give me a final answer. The hotel staff were generally pleasant to talk to but obviously very dismissive of the situation and could not even give me the courtesy of a follow up phone call. Given the rating of the Hotel, I expected much more.

• Stayed December 2012, travelled with family
Dear kal_f4u

Thank you for your review of Rendezvous Grand Hotel Auckland following your recent stay with us. On behalf of the team here I would like to extend our sincerest apologies for the level of service you have described. We will make contact with you directly through this site and offer a more personal apology. I will discuss this review and our service shortfalls with the teams that were involved to ensure a similar shortfall does not happen again, clearly this falls well below our minimum standards.
Once again I apologise for the inconvenience caused.

Reviewed 14 January 2013 via mobile

The staff were very professional and helpful. The rooms have been renovated so they have all of the mod cons. The only downside of the hotel was the location. It was a 15 min walk from the harbour. The buffet breakfast could do with some improvement as well.

Stayed January 2013
RendezvousAuckland, General Manager at Grand Millennium Auckland, responded to this review, 22 January 2013
Dear PavNick,

Thank you for taking the time to write your review following your recent stay at Rendezvous Grand Hotel Auckland, we were pleased to read that overall you enjoyed your stay and in particular the staff and the quality of our guest rooms.
You are correct, we are not located near the harbour, but our advantage is a leafier area of town in the heart of the Theatre, Parks and Arts district
Thank you once again and we look forward to welcoming you back to Rendezvous Grand Hotel in the very near future

Melbourne, Australia
Reviewed 14 January 2013

We had a wonderfully relaxing time in the Rendezvous. Really great location (able to walk to the city or casino in a couple of minutes) and the bed was so wonderfully comfortable we wanted to get one for home! The room service sticky date pudding was a great treat as well...

Stayed January 2013, travelled as a couple
Dear Doug81,

Thank you for taking the time to write your review following your recent stay at Rendezvous Grand Hotel Auckland, we were pleased to read your enjoyed your stay and in particular you found the bed to exceptional, along with the sticky date pudding.

Tucson, Arizona
Reviewed 13 January 2013

When we arrived at this hotel, what a nice surprise. Very modern, new and very close to the activities in the area. the rooms are a nice size and clean, All the rooms are around an open area from top to bottom.

They have a very nice restaurant for the buffet breakfast, and regular service in the evening, as well as a separate sushi restaurant, locally across the lobby. The bar is centrally located in the lobby between the two restaurants.

There is on sight parking and also valet service. A gift shop is located in the lobby.

Location is very good, There is an open area across the street where different activities are held. The main street to walk to the waterfront is 2 blocks from the hotel. The walk to the waterfront and water activities would take approximately 20 to 30 minutes depending on your activity along the way. Close to many banks, a grocery store, and retail shops.

The space needle where bungy jumping is conducted is two blocks away. You can see it from the lobby.

The hotel staff is very good, prompt and helpful.

Recommend it highly.

• Stayed December 2012, travelled with friends
Dear Norb W,

Thank you for taking the time to complete your review of Rendezvous Grand Hotel Auckland, I will be sure to pass on your feedback to the team here, they will be delighted as I was to read that you enjoyed our property and most of all found the team helpful, prompt and very good.
Thank you once again and we trust you enjoyed the remainder of your stay in New Zealand.

Auckland, Auckland, New Zealand
Reviewed 12 January 2013

We stayed for a1night deal, the room was very good, very clean & cool (it was a hot week end) with a good TV. I booked there because it had a pool. The pool was not flash or upgraded but clean. The hallways were so hot, like a sauna, after a cooling swim I was hot by the time I was back at our room. Pleasant staff & really good 2 for 1 buffet breakfast. Parking extra at a reduced rate next door. A pleasant place to stay.

Dear Brenda G,

Thank you for taking the time to write your review following your recent stay at Rendezvous Grand Hotel Auckland, we were pleased to read your enjoyed your stay and although it was hot in the corridors on this very hotel weekend you found the room to be a haven from the heat.

Hamilton, New Zealand
Reviewed 12 January 2013

Very nice hotel, especially since the upgrade. Great staff always ready to go the extra. Full breakfasts are a bit steep at NZ$31, but nicely turned out. Could use a few more hot items such as eggs benedict which comparable hotels provide in their buffet breakfasts. They do provide eggs benedict, but as an ala carte at NZ$18. No spa provided, but the gym, pool and sauna were very nice.

Room Tip: Try for the top floors facing the square