“ok, but room for improvement”

Grand Millennium Auckland
Ranked #13 of 65 Hotels in Auckland Central
Reviewed 20 January 2013

I have stayed here a few times for work and always got good service and a good upgrade. However, my misfortune was getting a young north American lady at check in who would have to be the rudest customer service person I have ever had the misfortune of getting. I would recommend some training or relocating her to another job where people can be as rude as they like, I can't think of any I could suggest.

having said that, the hotel is nice. It is in a great part of town. The rooms are well appointed and the resturants are great. Some of the rooms I have stayed in needed a bit more maintence (light bulbs not working) but overall, it is a comfortable and convenient place to stay... if you can avoid a certain receptionist.

Stayed: February 2012
2  Thank Allan F
RendezvousAuckland, General Manager at Grand Millennium Auckland, responded to this reviewResponded 6 February 2013

Dear Allan F,

Thank you for taking the time to review Rendezvous Grand Hotel, we were disappointed to read of your last experience here at the hotel and as all reviews are read by our team members they along with me would like to send you our sincerest apologies for the lack of courtesy by one of our fellow team members.
Thank you also for highlighting the maintenance issue regarding light bulbs, I will certainly raise this with our Engineer.

We look forward to welcoming you back to Rendezvous Grand Hotel Auckland in the very near future and please do not hesitate to contact me directly should I be of assistance to you.

Reviewed 19 January 2013

I've now stayed twice at the Rendezvous and can't fault it.
The rooms are spacious clean and quiet. The bathroom was huge.
We opted for the breakfast which was fantastic.
The gym and pool are nice and there is a sauna also.
I would recommend to everybody visiting Auckland

• Stayed: January 2013, travelled as a couple
RendezvousAuckland, General Manager at Grand Millennium Auckland, responded to this reviewResponded 4 February 2013

Dear S2ley,

Thank you for your review of Rendezvous Grand Hotel Auckland, we were delighted to read such positive feedback from a return guest, on behalf of the team here thank you.
We look forward to welcoming you back in the very near future.

Reviewed 18 January 2013

I stayed for 3 (2 + 1) nights there in the month of Dec,2012. I made the reservation for King size single bed however when I reached there they gave me twin bed room.
I fought with them even at one point I was ready to move to some other hotel then only they gave me nice king size one bedroom.
Overall (apart from the fight I had while check-in) it was nice experience. Hotel has the good location with the city.
I will recommend but beware of the room type and check it before accepting.

• Stayed: December 2012, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Paresh V

Dear Paresh V,

Thank you for your review of Rendezvous Grand Hotel Auckland and for your recommendation of the property. I agree with you the request for a King Bed should not have been so difficult, December certainly was a busy time, but we would expect that our team deal with your request without the need for you to “fight” at check in. This falls well below the minimum standards of service we expect and for this I would like to offer you my sincerest apologies.
We look forward to welcoming you back to the property in the very near future

Reviewed 17 January 2013

We blind booked the Rendezvous through Wotif.com for a recent pre-cruise stay. We were admittedly tired when we arrived and anxious to just settle in. The first room we were assigned was a handicap accessible room--not at our request--so I went back to the front desk to ask for another room. The second room might have been nice but when I opened the door, it was clear from the visible luggage and the surprised look on the occupant's face, that a quick retreat was in order. Back to the front desk, on to the third room. This room was very, very nice and made up for the two treks to the front desk. The room appeared to be recently renovated, and though the view was limited, it was nicely appointed, spacious, and very clean and comfortable. The hotel itself appears to be undergoing renovation so some parts of the hotel which look a bit tired should improve when the work is done. In sum, we were pleased with our stay once we got to our final room. And dinner in the downstairs restaurant was excellent. I'll do a separate review.

• Stayed: January 2013, travelled as a couple
RendezvousAuckland, General Manager at Grand Millennium Auckland, responded to this reviewResponded 24 January 2013

Dear Anaco_Angler,

Thank you for taking the time to review Rendezvous Grand Hotel Auckland, we were pleased to read after some issues on check in you found the room that was to your liking and enjoyed the rest of your stay with us. I would like to extend to you my sincerest apologies for the inconvenience suffered, I would have expected that we get this right the first time, thank you however for patience.
We look forward to welcoming you back to the hotel very soon.

Regards Paul

Reviewed 17 January 2013

My partner and I had a very relaxing stay at the Rendezvous Grand Hotel Auckland, staying for two nights in a deluxe room. The reception staff were very friendly, and although our room was not ready for check-in when we arrived they were very helpful in taking our bags and suggesting activities nearby while we waited.

The hotel architecture is great, the exterior and main atrium are very striking in a monument-to-concrete-and-glass kind of way. The rooms, however, have all been modernised, which is great to see in a hotel of this era. The room itself was very spacious and comfortable, lots of room to spread out and relax.

We didn't get a chance to try the hotel's restaurant, however did enjoy using the swimming pool and gym facilities; both of which were excellent. The only down side to this hotel was the location, being a solid walk from main shopping/restaurant area of Queen Street and the harbour. In saying this, it was very close to the Sky Tower and fairly easy to access from the Airbus.

• Stayed: February 2012, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Mitchell R

Dear Mitchell R,

Thank you for taking the time to review Rendezvous Grand Hotel Auckland, we were very pleased to read your review and we will share this with the wider team, who will be delighted as I was to learn that you had a relaxing stay with us. We are centrally located to the main Shopping Street but as you and other reviewer’s state we are located away from the Waterfront in the more leafy part of town with many Theatres, Galleries located close by, we do have the advantage of being away from the noisy bars that can sometimes affect CBD Hotels.

Thank you once again for taking the time to review and we look forward to welcoming you back to the hotel very soon.

Regards Paul

Reviewed 17 January 2013

I stayed here for 5 nights in late November with a friend. We were able to check in quickly, although the first room we were given was the wrong type. After a quick trip back to the desk, we checked into a nicely sized room with 2 double beds. The beds were fairly soft and comfortable. Our room had a minibar area, and we enjoyed having the fridge to store water, juice and milk in. The bathroom design is horrible though. The shower only has a curtain surrounding it, and water splashed all over. We had to turn the showerhead to face the wall to avoid getting puddles near the sink area. Both my friend and I slipped numerous times, and used towel after towel to try to sop up water. I'm sure this setup would be nice as a handicap accessible shower, but it made us very leery to use it!

The concierge staff was fairly helpful in getting us booked on a ferry trip to Waiheke Island for a wine tour. We later tried to book a day trip to Hobbiton, Waitomo Glowworm Caves and Rotorua through the desk, but ended up booking it ourselves online.

Oh, one last thing: the internet service. Each device in the room was alloted 3 consecutive hours of WiFi access in a 24 hour period. This wasn't explained well when we checked in, so the hotel was kind enough to give us a few free passes. For the price of the hotel though, we felt that WiFi should have been free 24/7.

All in all, good hotel. It's centrally located and we were able to walk pretty much anywhere we wanted.

• Stayed: November 2012, travelled with friends

Dear NAUgrad2005,

Thank you for taking the time to complete your review following your stay at Rendezvous Grand Hotel Auckland, we were pleased to read that overall you enjoyed your stay with us. I can confirm the Bathroom design you received was an accessible room, hence the set-up of the shower, the majority of the rooms are a traditional shower design. I would like to apologise that you were allocated this type of room, I do know that over this time we were busy and we needed to accommodate your bedding configuration. I am also pleased to report that we have now changed the internet system so you are now able to access 24 hours non-stop, this is available on complimentary basis at low speed, which is perfect for email and simple surfing.
Thank you once again for taking the time to complete your review and we look forward to welcoming you back very soon.

Reviewed 17 January 2013

This is a good hotel that could ge great with very little effort.
We had a lovely hige room that has recently been refurbished, but htere was no safe, something that I expect these days, although you can use the safety deposit boxes at reception.
Gym and Swimming pool were great, and there is alovely outside area that with a bit of tender loving care could be excellant and a real bonus to the hotel.
Rooms were kept clean and tidy but sometimes it was late in the afternoon before the room got serviced.
The only downside to this is its location as it is a good 15 minute walk to the harbour area and thats back up hill on the way back to the hotel, although the hotel is on the city bus loop that costs something like a $1 a trip.
all in all I would not hesitate to use or recommend this hotel in the future

Dear jec01,

Thank you for taking the time to complete your review of Rendezvous Grand Hotel following your recent stay in New Zealand. We were delighted to read that you enjoyed your stay and found our refurbished rooms to be comfortable and clean, the final part of our refurbishment is the installation of In room Guest Safes, over 90% of the hotel is compete and we expect to finish the remainder this month.

Thank you once again and we look forward to welcoming you back to the hotel and New Zealand in the very near future.