“Very Impressed !” 5 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #12 of 68 Hotels in Auckland
Church Gresley, United Kingdom
“Very Impressed !”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 September 2013

I was very much looking forward to my stay here after a long journey. I had requested a room with a view of the city for my two nights here, I didn't get it, but I did get a very nice and quiet room.

Check in was quick, efficient and welcoming. My room was first class. Clean, tidy and with an oriental touch to the design and furnishings. By far the largest bath I've ever had in a hotel, in a well equipped bathroom with separate shower and heaps of towels.

TV reception appeared to be a little fuzzy at times. Good working area and all you need for coffee and tea making with a large refrigerator for storing your own wine or food.

Look out for a very handy underground foot tunnel between the reception/car park entrance that leads out into the town square, ask the concierge where it is, it saves crossing the many busy roads that surround the hotel !

• Stayed August 2013, travelled solo
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
RendezvousAuckland, General Manager at Grand Millennium Auckland, responded to this review, 15 September 2013
Dear Iain H,

Thank you for taking the time to write such a comprehensive review of Rendezvous Grand Hotel Auckland following your recent stay with us.

We were delighted to read that although you did not receive your City View Room you were allocated a quiet room that was first class and you enjoyed the design. Our underground tunnel is as located off the Lobby Level and will have you on Queen Street or at one of the many theatres in the block within 4 minutes.

Thank you also on your note with regard to the TV signal, we are constantly working on delivering a better picture through the hotel.

Once again thank you for your review and we do look forward to welcoming you back very soon.
Best regards Paul

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (478)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Greek first
  • Korean first
  • Thai first
Norfolk, VA
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 September 2013

The Rendezvous Grand has some positive and negative points:
The Positives: they are centrally located, just a short walk to the Skytree and Ferries. The room was a good size and so was the bathroom. The gym was excellent and the indoor pool was wonderful, we could actually do laps. The Club benefits were great as well. My husband and I really enjoyed unwinding at the end of the day with some adult beverages in the Club Lounge. Lizzette and Aileen were fantastic. The breakfast buffet had a lot to choose from to please meat eaters and vegetarians alike. Check-in was quick and easy.
The negatives: the bed was really lumpy. I felt like I was sleeping directly on the springs. Check-out was a little annoying. We were down at the desk by 0450 and nobody was at the desk. Myself and a few stewardess waited for someone to show up. No sign letting us know they stepped away for a few minutes. After about 10 mins the reception guy showed up and didn't even apologize even thou he had a line of people waiting to check-out.
The positives outweighed the negatives, my spouse and I would stay here again the next time we are in Auckland.

• Stayed August 2013, travelled as a couple
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
RendezvousAuckland, General Manager at Grand Millennium Auckland, responded to this review, 13 September 2013
Dear Michelle R,

Thank you for choosing to stay at Rendezvous Grand Hotel Auckland during your recent visit to Auckland. We were delighted to read your review with regard to our central location, the size of our room, the gym, pool and the Club Lounge Benefits.

I would like to also thank you for bringing to our attention and offer you my apologies with regards to the Bed and your check out experience, I will address both of these issues with the Senior Managers of the respective department.

Once again, thank you for your review and we do look forward to welcoming you back very soon.

5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 31 August 2013

Great facilities, comfortable beds, delicious food, friendly staff. The bathroom in my room looked clean but I felt like it could've been cleaner. My family didn't think so though so maybe that's just my OCD taking. Other than that, it was an excellent experience and I didn't want to leave.

• Stayed August 2013
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
RendezvousAuckland, General Manager at Grand Millennium Auckland, responded to this review, 12 September 2013
Dear Yvonne F,

Thank you for taking the time to review Rendezvous Grand Hotel Auckland, we were delighted to read that you and your family enjoyed all the hotel had to offer and did not want to leave. I will certainly share your comments with our team.

Once again thank you and we look forward to having you return very soon.

Auckland Region, New Zealand
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 31 August 2013

My partner and I stayed here on business in the city. It is a very spacious hotel, nice Japanese restaurant on-site and the staff are very happy to oblige with anything.

I did think some of the design features in the rooms were a bit odd - i.e., towel rail on the other side of the bathroom from the shower so you have to walk across slippery tiles to get them, and a phone hanging right above the toilet roll so the cord gets in the way.

Otherwise it's a nice place with eco-beauty products and great location for doing business or exploring the CBD. We enjoyed using the pretty much empty gym and the swimming pool.

Dear Tesh001,

It is a pleasure to hear from you here at Rendezvous Grand Hotel Auckland and thank you for taking the time to write your review. We were pleased to read that you enjoyed Katsura – our Signature Japanese Restaurant and that you enjoyed your stay.

Once again thank you and we look forward to welcoming you back very soon

Queenstown, Otago, New Zealand
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 August 2013

From the very moment we arrived to the moment we left the staff were friendly helpful and completely attentive. The rooms were modern, clean and spacious. The pool is lovely, the bathrooms well equipped. In room breakfast is easily ordered and actually very good and moderately priced. The best part is the hotel is centrally located - but far enough away from the busiest sections of Queen Street to be quiet and relaxed. K Road and the Aotea Centre are within walking distance. Each room looks out over the lobby and the street and Auckland are visibly from the giant picture windows that scan the entire front of the hotel. Having a permanent taxi stand out front is extremely convenient. My only complaint is that there are very few power outlets in the room and as we both had computers and cell-phones in need of charging... was a bit challenging.

Room Tip: We stayed on the 5th floor. It was quiet, good view, etc. Have nothing to compare it to.
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
RendezvousAuckland, General Manager at Grand Millennium Auckland, responded to this review, 5 September 2013
Dear Margaret O,

It is a pleasure to hear from you here at Rendezvous Grand Hotel Auckland and thank you for taking the time to post your review.

We were delighted to read your comments with regard to our friendly welcome and through to our Central Location.

I would like to thank you for also bringing the power outlets to my attention, for the benefit of our other travellers and should you return we can provide multi-boxes upon request and a permanent solution is something that we will work on.

Once again thank you and we do look forward to welcoming you back to Rendezvous Grand Hotel in the very near future.

Auckland Region, New Zealand
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 August 2013

Stayed overnight on business. Left brand new set of Clinque moisturisers on the vanity value $200. Rendezvous response is very disappointing, saying it was not left there, they have checked etc. The Super or the Cleaner are being dishonest along with their colleagues backing them up. Will not be visiting again in fact I will be telling everybody I know. Dishonesty is the worst!!!

• 1 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank Odette M
RendezvousAuckland, General Manager at Grand Millennium Auckland, responded to this review, 28 August 2013
Dear Odette M,

I have spoken with your husband on the telephone and explained our process in detail with him, I note that this does not provide the return of your items and for this I would like to offer our sincerest apologies.

Our Security Manager, a Trained Detective has conducted a thorough investigation from reading the door lock to interviewing the team members that entered the room following your check-out to contacting our linen provider to check that it was not bundled within the linen.

Our team members are well briefed into our lost property policy of the hotel and after our investigation are satisfied that no member of our team has acted dishonestly. I would also note that the value you have advised and provided the receipt for was for $150.00 not $200.00 as you have listed above, we believe it is important in a case like this that we have all of the facts correct.

In summary, once again I would like to apologise that we are unable to locate the property you state was left in the room, it is a difficult situation for all concerned.

Should you wish to involve the Police as you have stated to our Security Manager, we would gladly provide them with every assistance in order to maintain our service, integrity and quality reputation that you have clearly brought into question.

Yours sincerely Paul
Ghent, Belgium
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 August 2013

My girlfriend and I stayed in this hotel during our stay in Auckland as part of our RTW-trip.
Upon arrival we were greeted and checked in very quickly. Staff was friendly and helpful from the first minute we walked in 'till the moment we left for Sydney.

Room was big enough, had all the amenities we required and above all, it was clean.
Since we went on several tours and daytrips during our stay we didn't spend much time in the room or in the hotel but all the facilities we did use were up to standard.

Hotel is conveniently located in the centre of the city, only 1 minute away from Queen Street, and there are plenty of possibilities for breakfast, lunch or dinner in the neighborhood. Because of this we decided not to eat in the hotel but just go out so no comments on the restaurants.

If you are looking for the best beef ever (at least the best I've ever tasted), ask the concierge to make a reservation at Tony's. We asked the on-duty manager to suggest a good restaurant for some NZ steak and this was his first choice (the man knows his world, that's for sure).
If you make a reservation through the hotel you also get a free glass of (sparkling) wine so don't hesitate to ask.

I'm terrible with remembering names but would especially like to thank the valet who, after it appeared the parking was full, offered to keep an eye on our rental car and park it as soon as a parking space became vacant without extra charge. And of course the on-duty manager for the great suggestions and effort to make the required reservations.

• Stayed August 2013, travelled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
RendezvousAuckland, General Manager at Grand Millennium Auckland, responded to this review, 2 September 2013
Dear Benjamin B,

Thank you for choosing to stay at Rendezvous Grand Hotel Auckland during your recent visit to New Zealand. We were delighted to read your comments with regard to our recent renovation, the service from our team members and the extremely good value for money.

I will also ensure that I pass on your comments with regard to the service offered by the Concierge and our Duty Manager. We do look forward to welcoming you both back to New Zealand very soon.

Best regards