“Great value with a little luxury”

Grand Millennium Auckland
Ranked #13 of 66 Hotels in Auckland Central
Reviewed 5 July 2008

Just stayed for one night in July. Booked a Plaza Club room. Was located on the 10th floor.

Firstly, the arrival to the rendezvous was inviting, the atrium really is a focal point of the hotel, marble everywhere in the hotel, can't help thinking the rendezvous is a slightly faded star at the moment though, which is a shame since it was 'the' hotel in auckland in the late eighties/early nineties.

Concierge is nowhere to be seen in the entrance however. No one even there to offer help with bags.

Check in was okay, all the usual addressed not much enthuasiam with the staff, and very little explained (at least they should have asked if I had stayed before).

I had to ask about the Plaza Club and where is was, and times of access.

Proceeded to my room on Level 10, my room was facing south basically, which is generally the worst side for views, being high enough you could see a few surrounding buildings, so it wasn't too bad.

The room was very spacious in a square shape which is an unusual design. Furnishings were comfortable, bed was a little hard and the pillows fairly average.

I did like the bathroom however, well set out, great bath and shower facilities and marble vanity was nice.

There were no robes in the room, which I found a little surprising and also had no shampoo, no biggie though, easily fixed.

Plaza Club for drinks/canapes at night was wonderful great views and good selection of food/drink items, this is well worth the extra $50 not only do you get evening drinks and canapes also a great continental breakfast, top 3 floors of the hotel, self car park, newspaper.

Supposedly you get priority check in, I could not see that anywhere, not that you need it really never seems to be many people in the hotel.

I imagine this hotel would been stunning and luxurious when it opened in 1989, it does still has some luxury to it, but its really in need of refurbishment, from what i could see alot of signs of wear and tear all over the hotel, and this could be once again a 5 star hotel if they invested some money into it!..

Overall found the Plaza Club staff very friendly and helpful, reception not so, they did nothing wrong but really didn't exude any wow factor or try and make your stay the best possible. At both check in and check out I found staff were discussing issues in the hotel or chatting which I found quite un professional.

There is no card access to any of the lifts which I find slightly alarming, security needs some attention here!.

In summary, I was being very critical with this hotel, as this was my first stay here, and I'd have to say that there is alot of work needed here. Especially when there is Sky City Grand, Langham and the Westin, the Rendezvous is really trailing behind but definitely has the potential to be on top once again

Points to make this a 5-star hotel once again...

* Total refurbishment of rooms and all public areas 'modernise' the decor

* More enthusiastic staff, willing to go the extra mile, to make you stay special

* Security card access to the lifts

I did however enjoy my stay, because the rates I believe are fairly competitive, and especially with Plaza Club. I just hope the Rendezvous takes on the advice and then it can once again be in the top league of hotels in auckland.

• Stayed: July 2008, travelled solo
2  Thank auckguy1
There are newer reviews for Grand Millennium Auckland

Reviewed 20 May 2008

Our first night in NZ was spent at the Rendezvous, and i have to say, it was a great introduction to a country.

The room was huge and clean, the views were splendid despite the rain, the facilities were extensive and the queen sized bed was very welcoming (we had spent 24 hours travellelling!).

Staff were very friendly and helpful (even to the point of quickly delivering a carton of milk to our room for tea and coffee) without a grumble (which, i've noticed, is increasingly rare in the modern world)

And the location put us within walking distance of the city centre, harbour, domain and of course, the shopping.

Other than a smple buffet breakfast, we didn't eat in the hotel, so i can't rate the food.

A reccomended hotel.

• Stayed: April 2008, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 18 May 2008

We booked with Expedia and got one free night in four.For the price we paid the hotel was very good.,Because we complained about the Plaza Club service we were upgraded and had an excellent room although small problems were experienced with housekeeping.
After the initial problems at the Plaza Club the normal staff returned and we hade very good service.The food could have been more interesting but having just spent 4 nights at the Radisson in Sydney perhaps we were spoiled.

• Stayed: April 2008
Reviewed 18 May 2008

I stayed at the Rendezvous Hotel in Auckland from 12th May to 16th May. I went with a friend of mine and we stayed in a 'Club Plaza' Room.
To start with I booked online through a 3rd party and needed a twin room. The third party could not guarantee this, however put the request in. I contacted the hotel a couple of days later and they promptly confirmed the request, and that all was ok.
We arrived at the Rendezvous, the staff at Reception were very pleasant, and it was an easy check in. We went to our room. The entrance itself had an interesting feature. Whilst having a standard door, it also had a set of bifold doors which separated our room and the one next to it from the hallway. We didn't use them..but it was an interesting feature.
As advised the twin beds were there. The room was nice and big. The bathroom was big, there was plenty of drawers and enough cupboard space. The room was very clean.
The only negative I have for the room is that the room can be smoked in, there was a clean ashtray on the table and I did notice the smell of smoke (as a non smoker). The room does not have a balcony but we were aware of that. It has windows which can be opened out...so we did open our windows for the first day...and left them open...to freshen up the room. If I could make one recommendation to the hotel it would be for one of those automatic perfume scent machines to be installed in the room/s, just to appease the smell of smoke.
Also the view from the room was ordinary, whilst we were on the top floor our room looked out of the back to side of the hotel...and really...no view worth talking about..just some small ordinary office and residential buildings. It wasn't something that you would sit and look out at for an extended period.
Don't get me wrong though...the room was very good and we were both satisfied. Newspaper was always there at the door of our room when we woke up, Housekeeping did a great job. I would stay in the room again.
Staying in the 'Club' Room, we had access to the plaza club room for complimentary canape's and drinks for two hours 5:30pm - 7:30pm. This room has an awesome view of the city and Sky Tower...it really is tops (The room is on the top level to the front of the building). We spent each night of our stay in the room. Plenty of drink options, and the canape's were good. I want to say a special thank you to Arki (lady who works in the club room). She looked after my mate Russ and myself each night. She did a great job and was very friendly. We had a great time chatting and getting to know her. It was sad to say goodbye to her.
The Rendezvous is a very classy hotel. The service from everyone involved is impeccable. It is about a 3-5 minute walk to the Sky Tower and the heart of town. It is in a great location. It is away from the hustle and bustle, whilst being very close also (if that makes sense). The hotel is very clean and quiet.
The hotel has a couple of restaurants, we went to the European Restaurant on one night...and the food and drinks were nice. The service great again.
As for facilities, the business centre room for email access is good...complimentary 15 minutes use..which was handy...for organising the airport on-line check in :)...to have an exra 1.5 hours in Auckland.
The hotel has a gym...which I used at 4:30am in the morning...hahaha..crazy I know. The weight machines are cable, and they have treadmills etc. More than adequate. One cable machine pretty much could do everything that was needed. (Just a quick comment to the hotel...the coating on the cables is worn...so sometimes it gets stuck between the pully and the machine itself).
There is a swimming pool. The hotel website says that it is heated...and so does the in room information...but actually it is freezing cold...like ice :). We went to use it...but it was really cold...too cold to get in I thought.
There is a sauna as well...but the sauna actually doesn't seem to heat up. We did raise this with the hotel because the rocks on the sauna aren't even hot. The room temperature from memory was about 27 degrees...so it doesn't even start to break a sweat...no steam is created from the rocks..because they are too cold...not that I recommend this..but the rocks were so cold that they could be picked up. The element in the sauna was black, not red which tends to mean that it is cold. The staff did check and advised us that the temperature never changes...it's always on the same...and that they've never had any complaints about it.....but seriously...I don't think anyone uses it..so that is probably why there is no complaints. The hotel should look into the sauna, because there is something wrong there. The rocks shouldn't be cold. Even the sauna documentation on the wall next to the sauna states what the average temperatuer should be...I can't remember exactly what it said...but it definitely should be at least 60 degrees celsius.
Ok to wrap up with the hotel is very good, but if they attended to a few of the above things it will be excellent.
Brilliant Staff, can't speak highly enough of them
Beautiful Hotel (Luxurious)
Great Location
Great Service
Great outside design of the hotel, loved the trees around it also.
Great Plaza Club Room - view, selection of drinks, canape's and of course service (Arki)

Negatives
Smoke Smell in hotel room
Cold Sauna
Cold Swimming pool (only because it says 'heated')
Possible smoking allowed in hotel (We did not see anyone smoking, but there was a smoke butt in what appears to be fancy bins with ashtrays near the lift on the floor we stayed on)

Overall I don't wish for my review to be seen as negative, because I would definitely stay in this hotel again, and I would recommend it to anyone who wants to stay in Auckland.

• Stayed: May 2008, travelled with friends
Reviewed 1 May 2008

Stayed for 3 nights at the end of March. Do not have anything good to say about the hotel. Room was dirty, stains on the carpet and scary stains on the bedding (Housekeeping did change the bed linens on request - but suspect they were heading to someone elses bed),. Pillows so old, lumpy and horrible that I used hand towels to sleep on, window wouldn't close due to so many cigarette ends being jammed in the sill in an attempt to throw them out on to the unlovely gravel and concrete 'garden', air con didn't work, no hairdryer, food at the bar very limited 'We don't do sandwiches'.Check in/check out took forever . However the staff seem to be having a good time, laughing and joking in and out of the lifts and taking photos of each other.

Avoid at all costs.....

• Stayed: March 2008
Reviewed 21 March 2008

Check-in: the front desk staff looked cool & unfriendly.
Room: the room was not ready. when we first entered the assigned room, the bed cover was on the floor but not on the bed.
Swimming pool: lockers were found in the changing room but no keys available.
Staff manner: When we asked for help at the front desk, the staff simply repeated the unavailability of any key like a parrot. To access the facility, we had to bring the room key (magnet card) but the staff did not show any concern or give any advice to place this key safely. We asked to talk with the manager on duty. Her manner was even worse. She just stated that they never received a guest's request for locker key. Upon I reflected the security problem, she just said it was the hotel's problem but not her problem. She was so aloof and rude to sort out solution for a guest's simple request.

• Stayed: March 2008, travelled with friends
Reviewed 16 March 2008

Very nice hotel hard to fault it,you can get good rates if you shop around,The down side is the front desk and check in time 3-00,
This hotel is used by the cruise companys, and is very busy, do not try to book in until late afternoon as you will have to stand in a long line for about 1 houre, the staff are very slow and not very professional.

• Stayed: January 2008, travelled as a couple