Just stayed for one night in July. Booked a Plaza Club room. Was located on the 10th floor.
Firstly, the arrival to the rendezvous was inviting, the atrium really is a focal point of the hotel, marble everywhere in the hotel, can't help thinking the rendezvous is a slightly faded star at the moment though, which is a shame since it was 'the' hotel in auckland in the late eighties/early nineties.
Concierge is nowhere to be seen in the entrance however. No one even there to offer help with bags.
Check in was okay, all the usual addressed not much enthuasiam with the staff, and very little explained (at least they should have asked if I had stayed before).
I had to ask about the Plaza Club and where is was, and times of access.
Proceeded to my room on Level 10, my room was facing south basically, which is generally the worst side for views, being high enough you could see a few surrounding buildings, so it wasn't too bad.
The room was very spacious in a square shape which is an unusual design. Furnishings were comfortable, bed was a little hard and the pillows fairly average.
I did like the bathroom however, well set out, great bath and shower facilities and marble vanity was nice.
There were no robes in the room, which I found a little surprising and also had no shampoo, no biggie though, easily fixed.
Plaza Club for drinks/canapes at night was wonderful great views and good selection of food/drink items, this is well worth the extra $50 not only do you get evening drinks and canapes also a great continental breakfast, top 3 floors of the hotel, self car park, newspaper.
Supposedly you get priority check in, I could not see that anywhere, not that you need it really never seems to be many people in the hotel.
I imagine this hotel would been stunning and luxurious when it opened in 1989, it does still has some luxury to it, but its really in need of refurbishment, from what i could see alot of signs of wear and tear all over the hotel, and this could be once again a 5 star hotel if they invested some money into it!..
Overall found the Plaza Club staff very friendly and helpful, reception not so, they did nothing wrong but really didn't exude any wow factor or try and make your stay the best possible. At both check in and check out I found staff were discussing issues in the hotel or chatting which I found quite un professional.
There is no card access to any of the lifts which I find slightly alarming, security needs some attention here!.
In summary, I was being very critical with this hotel, as this was my first stay here, and I'd have to say that there is alot of work needed here. Especially when there is Sky City Grand, Langham and the Westin, the Rendezvous is really trailing behind but definitely has the potential to be on top once again
Points to make this a 5-star hotel once again...
* Total refurbishment of rooms and all public areas 'modernise' the decor
* More enthusiastic staff, willing to go the extra mile, to make you stay special
* Security card access to the lifts
I did however enjoy my stay, because the rates I believe are fairly competitive, and especially with Plaza Club. I just hope the Rendezvous takes on the advice and then it can once again be in the top league of hotels in auckland.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- New Zealand's largest hotel located in the heart of cosmopolitan and provides impeccable service and coupled with superb facilities, such as an indoor pool, saunas, gymnasium and award-winning restaurants and bars. The hotel features 452 elegantly appointed oversized guest rooms and suites that will ensure comfort and convenience. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Expedia, Booking.com, Odigeo, Agoda, Ctrip TA, Hotels.com, TripOnline SA, Ebookers, Evoline ltd, HotelQuickly, 5viajes2012 S.L., Cancelon and getaroom.com so you can book your Grand Millennium Auckland reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Auckland Rendezvous Hotel
- Grand Millennium Auckland New Zealand