“Grand Romance package & eating Gluten free at the Rendezvous”

Grand Millennium Auckland
Ranked #12 of 67 Hotels in Auckland
Auckland Region, New Zealand
“Grand Romance package & eating Gluten free at the Rendezvous”
Reviewed 22 October 2013

Excellent value package with all extra's we were looking for like the late checkout (1pm) & sparkling wine!The staff were all very attentive and professional. We had a Delux room on the 10th floor (part of the Romance package) and the room was a good size plus couch, generous bathroom with bath. We asked for a good view which we got - over Aotea square which is probably the best view the Rendezvous has to offer.

What I was most impressed with was the way the staff at the Straits cafe dealt with us needing to be Gluten Free. They made it effortless. As part of the package dinner and breakfast were included and so the dinner options were limited to a few choices not the full menu. However, there were plenty of choices (mainly mea/chicken dishes) for us within this. They were also happy to make the calamari starter GF when we asked. The staff seemed to have a clear understanding of Gluten free/Celiacs. When we came down the next morning one of the staff from the previous night immediately came up to us and asked us if we would like some gluten free options to go with the normal buffet breakfast. They brought us GF toast and GF cereal to our table which was great which we added to the eggs, bacon, fruit, yoghurt etc. Much appreciated!

• Stayed October 2013, travelled as a couple
RendezvousAuckland, General Manager at Grand Millennium Auckland, responded to this review, 24 October 2013
Dear Janine G,

It is a pleasure to hear from you here at Rendezvous Grand Hotel Auckland following your recent stay on a Romance Package.

I have also shared your feedback with our wider team who as I was were delighted to read your comments with regard to our service, value for money, quality of the room and your experience within Straits Cafe.

Thank you once again for your endorsement and we do look forward to welcoming you back very soon.

Best regards Paul

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (485)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Greek first
  • Korean first
  • Thai first
Hamilton, New Zealand
Reviewed 21 October 2013

After a disastrous attempt at staying at Rendezvous earlier this year and after a poor review on Trip Advisor, we were offered in return one night's accommodation in an executive suite with an interconnecting room. I emailed to take advantage of this offer and to book the rooms approximately six weeks' in advance. However, I was advised that it was a particularly busy weekend on the proposed weekend and that I would need to pay $185 per room per night. There were no conditions placed on the previous offer and certainly no suggestion that we could only book on a "quiet' night.

This hotel's attempt to redeem itself failed dismally....

Stayed October 2013, travelled with family
2 Thank Victoria W
RendezvousAuckland, General Manager at Grand Millennium Auckland, responded to this review, 22 October 2013
Dear Victoria W,

Our offer of a return visit was back in April of this year, you also did not respond to our email on that occasion. A week ago you emailed to request a stay for November.

The rate of $185.00 for two rooms: An Executive Suite and interconnecting Twin Room was offered.

This is in-fact a heavily discounted rate equal to a discount of over 72% of our very best rate you could find on the internet.

We apologise that we are unable to assist you on this occasion, however it is peak season and we are experiencing constrained demands.
Reviewed 20 October 2013

We stayed here for a week (Mid October 2013) whilst on holiday in Auckland.
I picked this hotel as the pictures of the hotel looked great, everything about it seemed really appealing.
Straight to the point I was disappointed with the hotel.... The rooms are really average and nothing special. The hair dryer over heated after about 1 minute, so I couldn't use it as I have long hair.
The cleaners replaced the drinking glasses one morning and actually left a glass with a huge crack right through it - my 6 year old daughter picked it up and it just broke in two. Very dangerous! I don't know how they missed that one....

I ordered from the dine-in menu one night and the lady that I spoke to on the phone was SO rude. I was trying to dial the number from the menu to order and it was engaged for a long time, so I decided to just call reception instead, I let the lady know that number I was dialing was engaged and had been for a long time, she replied with attitude "well your through now what would you like?" I said oh okay great, I wonder what is wrong with that line (as I thought I should let them know incase there was a problem they didnt know about) again she said to me "like I said to you, you are through now what do you want to order"
So rude. I was just trying to do the right thing!

Beds were terrible. One was firm & the other one was so soft we sunk into the middle of the bed. Pillows where horrible and uncomfortable.

The pool was disappointing.... Looks amazing in the pictures. Its was really average and crap!

There is no where to park in the area. You have to pay $15 a night in a cramped multi carpark. Or $35 for valet - and they park your car in the same carpark!!

A positive was the buffet breakfast. Fairly good variety to choose from and staff there where really lovely.
Another nice staff member was James down at reception - he was helpful and nice.

Overall - Would not stay here again and would not recommend it to others. For the same price stay somewhere better, Skycity was one on my list and I wish I stayed there now.

• Stayed October 2013, travelled with family
1 Thank Bobznemo
RendezvousAuckland, General Manager at Grand Millennium Auckland, responded to this review, 23 October 2013
Dear Bobznemo,

Thank you for taking the time to write your review of Rendezvous Grand Hotel Auckland, we were disappointed to read of your experience and on behalf of the team extend our sincerest apologies to you and your family.

I know that our Front Office Manager has also written to you offline so we are able to determine further some of the issues you raised, as he suggests if you had brought some the issues to our attention during your stay we would have gladly assisted.

For the record we do offer a Pillow Menu across the hotel and our car-park interconnects with the hotel. Many of our guests take time to comment how good our hotel pool is: 22 meters indoor and heated to 29 degrees.

Te Awamutu, New Zealand
Reviewed 18 October 2013

Stayed here as part of my partner's work do. I like the location of the hotel away from the main drag of Queen St which is noisy. I think this is generally a good hotel but the phone service and rooms are just a little strange. There was a phone right next to the toilet which was interesting and a volume adjustment knob at the entranceway into the bathroom which made strange sounds as you adjusted it. It was quite weird and no explanation was given. There were some nice features to the room and some strange tacky features like the signs or indicators to use for telling room service not to disturb you. OVerall it looked some features were updated and others weren't in a bid to save money. These were minor points though and as a place to park yourself while in the city it is not half bad. Don;t bother trying to phone the front desk as noone ever answers the phone and that is a poor aspect of the hotel.

• Stayed September 2013, travelled on business
Dear Tealovers-unanimous,

Thank you for taking the time to write your review of Rendezvous Grand Hotel Auckland, we were delighted to read that you enjoyed the location which is away from the noise of Queen Street. The volume knob on the entrance way to the bathroom is to control the TV volume that is piped into the bathroom.

Thank you for also advising us of the issue you had when trying to call the front desk and I would like to apologise for the inconvenience caused, we will investigate this issue.

Once again thank you for your review.

New Zealand
Reviewed 18 October 2013

Booked the Rendezvous for the first time after finding a great deal on wotif.com that included Breakfast (2 adults, 2 children) and parking. Couldn't be happier with the choice, the staff were friendly and accommodating to our requests, both the room and bathroom were spacious, and the location was very handy to The Civic, where we were attending a show. When comparing to similar hotel rates in the CBD, we thought the Rendezvous provided great value with the included breakfasts and parking. It's just a little thing, but I absolutely loved the retractable clothes line over the bath, great for drying the kids togs after using the pool! A (very) minor complaint would be having nowhere to hang the hand-towel. The breakfast was fabulous, however we were a little disappointed when dining at the Japanese restaurant...we were not offered Teppenyaki, and when we ordered both the entree and main size of the Teriyaki Chicken, the entree portion was of similar size for half the price of the main.

• Stayed October 2013, travelled with family
1 Thank 20wolves
Dear 20wolves,

It is a pleasure to hear from you here at Rendezvous Grand Hotel Auckland and thank you for taking the time to write your review of the hotel.

We were thrilled to read that you enjoyed your stay and found our team to be friendly and accommodating along with a spacious room and good value.

Thank you for your feedback with regard to Katsura, our signature Japanese Restaurant, Teppanyaki does need to be reserved in advance, so that would have been the reason it was not offered and I will discuss portion sizing with Chef Suzuki. I would like to extend to you our sincerest apologies.

Once again thank you for your review and we do look forward to welcoming you back very soon.

Hamilton, New Zealand
Reviewed 16 October 2013

I was sent to Auckland from Hamilton for work, I stayed in the Rendezvous for a week and I felt so at home. The staff are great, from Reception to the Restaurant, everyone was friendly and helpful. I had a wonderful stay and would definitely be staying there again in the future, and will definitely be recommending this hotel to anyone needing to stay in Auckland.

Room Tip: I found the rooms facing the garden area and outside deck by the pool to be the nicest.
  • Stayed October 2013, travelled on business
Dear Tracey-Lee R,

On behalf of the team here at Rendezvous Grand Hotel Auckland, thank you for taking the time to write your review and receive such a positive endorsement of the hotel.

We were delighted to read your comments and do look forward to welcoming you back to Auckland in the very near future.

Reviewed 16 October 2013

Right from walking into this place - being greeted at the door by a friendly concierge I was impressed with how much nicer this hotel is compared to when I was there about 6 years ago.

The facilities for the Intergen Dynamics Day were really nicely appointed, the conference food great and every single staff member on the ball. Really impressive. The room was very clean and tidy with the bed very comfortable. Breakfast well put together and reasonably priced. Overall I really enjoyed my stay and will definitely be back for more.

• Stayed October 2013, travelled on business
1 Thank Chunky55
Dear Chunky55,

Thank you for taking the time to write your review of Rendezvous Grand Hotel Auckland, our team will be delighted as I was to read your comments following your recent stay. The Team have worked very hard to ensure a welcoming environment and your feedback has let us know that at least on your experience we have been successful in our objective.

Thank you once again and we do look forward to welcoming you back very soon.