This hotel proudly displays its 4 "circle"–Very Good rating at the concierge and YourFirst check-in/out desk. And true to my opinion, equal numbers of TripAdvisor reviewers rate the Rendezvous very highly - in the 4 and 5 level rating tier. I however think that a 5 out of 5 rating means superlative on almost all counts -- and this Rendezvous comes close but gets no cigar.
Our check-in experience was awesome -- we arrived 5 hours before the declared 3pm check-in and our room was ready. We were very happy to settle in to freshen up before a shopping day on Queen Street.
We came back in the rain and wanted to eat-in but discovered that the touted in-hotel Japanese cuisine restaurant was closed on Monday -- total shame since we were really looking forward to it having read about it prior to heading out. But, nowhere in the hotel room's printed material is closed Monday communicated. Nor should an in-house restaurant be closed in my opinion.
Then, we decided to eat-in and enjoy room service while watching the semi-final outcome of the latest MasterChef. I ordered a bucket of ice and champagne glasses from the concierge
that took almost 40 minutes to deliver...we decided to chance diner from their other restaurant -- actually the breakfast cafe, and were pleased with the Singaporean TigerShrimp Curry -- excellent flavor tho small overcooked prawns but really disappointed with the Caesar which boosted home-made dressing that was way too mayonnaise-like and the lettuce was drenched, not lightly dressed nor crisp at all...but they made up for service speed with delivery in 1/2 the 20 minutes that we were told.
The rooms are spacious and true to the brochure as "extensively refurbished" but the room lighting set up is both confusing and way OTT...there are 7 un-labeled black on black light switches at the bed and one is constantly trying to turn on or off whatever is the right lighting. Awkward!
The hotel does offer a variety of extra amenity packages but wifi is always FREE w/ your room...as it should be at ANY hotel, period.
This Rendezvous Grand Hotel was a comfortable place to stay comes VERY close to living up to it's best reviews, but from my experience, then falls just a notch short.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- New Zealand's largest hotel located in the heart of cosmopolitan and provides impeccable service and coupled with superb facilities, such as an indoor pool, saunas, gymnasium and award-winning restaurants and bars. The hotel features 452 elegantly appointed oversized guest rooms and suites that will ensure comfort and convenience. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Hotels.com, Expedia, Ctrip TA, TripOnline SA, HotelQuickly, Ebookers, Evoline ltd, Cancelon and getaroom.com so you can book your Grand Millennium Auckland reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Auckland Rendezvous Hotel
- Grand Millennium Auckland New Zealand