“great value”

Grand Millennium Auckland
Ranked #13 of 66 Hotels in Auckland Central
Reviewed 17 October 2009

Hotel had the most comfortable beds. However I had to change my room three times due to The television not working. The tvs had to beat least ten years old and were very small. Had a nice gym. The hotel in general needs abit of refurbishment to put it in a 5 star category.

• Stayed: October 2009, travelled solo
There are newer reviews for Grand Millennium Auckland

Reviewed 7 October 2009

My wife and I stayed for 2 nights in mid-September in a newly decorated room with excellent design in both bathroom and furniture. Efficient staff, but reception could have had more on duty at busy times. Within easy walking distance of waterfront and main entertainment district. Very quiet with traffic noise.

• Stayed: September 2009, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 29 September 2009

The hotel is conveniently located across from the entertainment arena. Rooms were spacious and clean. Hotel reminded me of some Vegas hotels with the never ending hallways..You can tell the hotel is a bit dated and tired. Carpets needs an upgrade and the shower had some mold buildup. Beds were queen size and a bit lumpy. Minibar was never replenished. The fourth floor has a gym and pool with a large outdoor deck that with some heatlamps could be a great socializing space like other rooftop bars but this seems lost to the hotel staff. Another bar area is located on the ground floor but seemed like a morgue since the hotel does not seem interested in advertising this space for people to unwind and mingle. ( they were playing classical music in this bar area while they played the top-40 in the restaurant!, go figure) The Atrium bar was nice but they had a convention there and closed it to the public. In fact, I couldn't tell if this was a hotel or a convention center. They had a MS booth, Air New Zealand booth, Cruise center booths, etc....Of course, if they did make this a higher end property, then the rates would increase proportionally....Bummer, this could be a destination hotel if they changed it a bit...

• Stayed: September 2009, travelled with friends
Reviewed 21 September 2009

We arrrives late one night & staff couldn't find our reservation. Lucky we had a copy to prove it was there. Room service was excellent, good food & super fast. Full cooked breakfast were included in our package but they also tried to charge us again when booking out. We had booked a balcony suite that includes Plaza Club Access but when we got there it had been closed for renovations. This wasn't mentioned at the time of booking or on our previous email exchanges or even when we were booking in. We went o dine there & found the sign. Spoke to the manager Emelio whom was very apologetic & understanding re our dissapointment & offered us a comprimise once he explained the problem he was having since taking over. All I can say is good luck Emelio I just hope your wonderful attitude rubs off on your staff in the future.

• Stayed: September 2009, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 18 September 2009

I stayed here on business for two nights. The hotel was known as a 5 star hotel under its previous ownership (different name) and they currently describe themselves as 'luxury' and 4.5 star and stunning, so I was looking forward to trying it out again after quite some time.
Check in was helpful and courteous as were concierge staff. On arrival in my room the first thing I noticed was a nasty black curly hair adjacent to the toilet so was somewhat put off. Later I went to use the phone and discovered that the cord was covered in spills & stains. It was at this point I began to realise that the hotel wasnt what it used to be.
Staff continued to be helpful and courteous during my stay however there were little disappointments - my evening meal eaten in their restaurant was very tough (pork). I was asked how my meal was however when I politely responded that it was tough he simply walked away. The rooms were impossibly hot at night although airconditioned, I had it turned as low as it would go with fans up but woke constantly through out the nite trying to cool down. I used the in room internet service with no problem however my colleague tried for two nights running but was unable - the hotel was not interessted in helping with this.

All in all I found the experience fairly average.

• Stayed: September 2009, travelled on business
Reviewed 16 September 2009

The Rendezvous was undergoing some renovation to their club room area, so I did not get to experience that section.
The hotel, however, was clean, quiet, friendly and roomy. The room itself was spacious and arranged well, with a large desk and good bathroom.
Service was not plentiful, but was friendly.
A few irritants kept my stay in the Very Good range; expensive (but speedy) internet, a business centre without a working printer no diet soft drinks in the mini-bar. All-in-all nothing too serious.

• Stayed: September 2009, travelled on business
Reviewed 8 September 2009

This is a 4.5 star hotel - the lobby certainly shows that. The service was pretty good as well, everytime we had a request it was met efficiently, including the morning call at 4:15am. We stayed here for 2 nights, had 2 interconnecting deluxe rooms on the 8th floor. Both were very spacious. Shower was great, ample supply of hot water. Bathroom is also top notched. Some parts of the hotel is showing wears and would require makeover pretty soon, such as carpets and lift doors etc. The carpark was good - plenty of them and at a reasonable rate of $12 a day. Location is also pretty good, close to the Skycity and about 10 min walk to Queen Street. We got a great rate through hotelclub, and at that price I think this is excellent value for money.

• Stayed: September 2009, travelled with family