“Ok stay, will try something different next time”

Grand Millennium Auckland
Ranked #13 of 65 Hotels in Auckland Central
Reviewed 25 February 2010

We stayed in Rendezvous for 3 nights in Auckland. Upon entering the room, the first thing that we could smell was smoke. Cigarette smoke. Haivng read a few previous comments left by other people, looks like travellers tend to have a few smokes on the balcony and stink up the whole room. The smell was an issue everytime we entered the room. We stayed in the balcony suite so the room was beautiful. The balcony furniture was quite old and dated and is in desperate need of replacing. We had some issues getting the TV's to work. We had 3 in the suite and only 1 workerd but there were no channels. The hotel is a bit out of the action in Auckland. It's a bit of walk (not their fault) but just became annoying in the end. Other than that, we were wuite happy with the place.

• Stayed: February 2010, travelled as a couple

Reviewed 24 February 2010

The hotel was great, room only but lovely cafe over the road we went to every mornng.
Rooms were huge with good facilities, hotel about a 10min walk from harbour, easy to get around

Stayed: October 2009, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 14 February 2010

We have just returned from a weekend in Auckland staying at this hotel. This is the 3rd time in 12 months we have stayed here and every time it has been great. The check in staff at reception are always friendly, staff at the restaurant are also very friendly. The rooms we have had were always very clean and comfortable and it’s quiet.
The hotel was a big 5 star late 1980's model and the reception area is huge. However it is now a good standard hotel much like a millennium which offers similar rooms at similar prices. The bedding was comfortable, the usual room amenities and a huge bathroom - large bath big shower and vanity that is enormous.
There is a self parking car park attached to the hotel and is good value for Auckland.
The buffet breakfast was very good standard hotel breakfast fare. Lots of fruit, cereals, juices meats cheeses and big selection of good offerings.
The location is great just a short 10 min walk one way and you’re in heart of Queen Street and the boutiques of High Street and a 10 mins the other way and to the bars and clubs on Karangahape Road and about 15 minutes from trendy Ponsonby Road. So unless you’re a complete couch potato who doesn’t walk more than from the TV to the fridge then everything is within easy walking distance.
Despite what other reviewers have commented our 3 experiences have been never been anything less than positive and the rates available are very good value for money. Perhaps those who want a 5 star experience should stay in a 5 star property and be prepared to pay any dollars for 5 star services.
We would recommend this property without hesitation

Stayed: February 2010, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 22 January 2010

I don't even know where to start, but I guess I could start from the Checking-In. As a part of RTW tour we stopped in this hotel because of the location. We had it book months in advance! I've asked for a nice, non-smoking room, with a view. She, the check-in girlie, smiled. I assumed she understood. We went to the room. My 1.5YO son touched the very heavy glass table, and it came apart (photo attached). Next, we noticed the filthy and patched curtain (photo attached). Well, pushed the table to one side to make it safe for my little one, then opened the curtains, so we won't see the dirty nets, and boy-o-boy. There was a view that I will never forget and I do hope you will never visit there to witness it! The suspicious looking liquid marks on the window seal and the stench was too much to stomach. My son went to the window and start looking out to fag-ends (photos attached). So much so for a non-smoking room. I don't even wont the go any further. Yack! It was simply terrible! Awful! Nasty! Look at the pictures!
I wasn't going to write about this hotel, but just read the previous review and thought I should add my voice to it too!
I have contacted the management and sent them the images, but as you can imagine, no reply from them nor I expect one!
Date was 15th December, Room 315, Rendezvous Hotel Auckland, NZ.
p.s. have to sat after the complaints I've made on the way out, they did change my room to higher floor and a bit tidier room, but again, NOTHING SPECIAL! I have stayed in Heritage Auckland Hotel in the past, which is just round the corner from Rendezvous. I would highly recommend you to stay there! Al the best!

2  Thank Kamham
Reviewed 20 January 2010

During our recent vacation in New Zealand we booked 3 days in the Rendezvous Hotel to unwind from jet leg and have a static base for Xmas. Within half an hour of arriving at the hotel we had the feeling it was going to be a disappointment. The general cleanliness of the hotel is poor with rooms on the Club class floor being as basic as an Army billet.

Within the hour we decided to cut our 3 day visit to 1, thankfully we received a refund.
The Club class lounge is the worst we have ever seen, a few pieces of bread with ham and olives.

The only saving grace was the breakfast in the lobby, this was of good standard and very tasty.

In summary, if you are after a bed for the night, the Rendezvous is an adequate place to rest your head. If you are on holiday, well do yourself a favour and avoid it like the plague.

1  Thank peteark
Reviewed 6 January 2010

We use this hotel on the recommendation of our travel agent.... Even though it is centrally located within walking distance of most attractions, I would NOT use this hotel ever again. When you send out laundry to be done you do not get all your items / clothing back and No one seems to care. We came within 30 minutes of missing our flight trying to get the hotel to locate our laundry. To NO prevail our laundry was gone!
This hotel needs employees and management who care about their customers and will go that extra step to see that most needs are met.
For the cost of this hotel, you would hope that their services in general would be better than the false advertisement of being a four star hotel, which it is not...
I can only advise that I would consider another hotel and let this be my very last choice, if I should ever get the opportunity to visit New Zealand again.
Quinn's In Greenwood,MS.

Reviewed 8 December 2009

Overall, I would say this was a decent 4 star hotel. Comfortable as a city base for a couple of days exploring Auckland. The indoor atrium is really nice, makes for a nice atmosphere in the hotel. Check in was efficient and friendly. But as other reviewers have mentioned, do not expect an early check in here! Despite being the largest hotel in Auckland, our room was not ready when we arrived at 12:30pm off an international flight, and we were asked to come back at 3pm. They did store our luggage of course, which was a help. The young guy who delivered our bags to the room was really friendly, the best staff member we encountered in the hotel.

The indoor pool and Gym are really good. Clean and spacious. The garden deck just near the pool is also quite nice. Request a room on a high floor (we were on 8), the lower floors had zero privacy facing the garden deck on that side of the hotel.

The rooms are quite spacious. The bathroom was great, shower and separate bath. My bed was uncomfortable though, almost rolled off a few times due to a steep slope on it! And the room is a bit drab, dull brown decor a remnant of the mid 1990's. But it was clean.

During the day, I asked the head concierge/doorman what time the lobby bar closed, for a nightcap after dinner at Orbit. He said 10:30 or 11:00. I got to the bar about 9:30, the service was uninterested and unfriendly. At about 9:50, last drinks were called. There were still about 15 customers in the bar, so perhaps the unfriendly bar girl had a party to go to. It was a Thursday night. But I would recommend this hotel to friends, check out the net for best rates, we paid NZ$110 for our room. Great price.

• Stayed: November 2009