“clean, accommodating and convenient”
Review of CityLife Auckland

CityLife Auckland
Ranked #8 of 67 Hotels in Auckland
Cherry Hill, New Jersey
“clean, accommodating and convenient”
Reviewed 22 May 2011

After traveling for nearly 20 hours from the USA, we arrived at citylife at 8:30 in the morning. They generously accommodated us by granting us our room at that time, several hours prior to the designated check-in hour. The staff was helpful in steering us to restaurants and sites for our one-day stay prior to moving southward through New Zealand. They even opened the gym for us at 4:30 in the morning the next day and called a less expensive taxi to take us back to the airport for our flight to Wellington. There were many similar hotels in the downtown auckland area to choose from, but we got a great expedia rate at citylife and it was very clean and the staff was exceptionally accommodating.

• Stayed March 2011, travelled as a couple

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (281)
  • Polish first
Tauranga, New Zealand
Reviewed 8 May 2011

Stayed 1 night in a One bedroom suite, which is a good size and didn't feel cramped. The Queen Bed in the bedroom was very comfortable and the hotel offers the option of pillow menu which is a lovely touch. The sofa bed was comfortable for one person, would be o.k for 2 younger children.

Very clean and nicely furnished with kitchenette and dining table, the fridge was larger than you get in most hotel rooms, great if you are staying a few days and want to self cater. The bathroom had nice amenities and the shower was hot and the pressure was good.

We had drinks in the bar before going to our concert and although quiet it had a nice atmosphere and the staff were friendly and relaxed.

The breakfast buffet was provided as part of our hotel package and was pretty standard affair. Again the staff were very friendly and attentive.

Not problems on checking in or out which is always nice, the reception and the valet parking staff were efficient.

In regard to noise, yes we did here some sirens, noises etc but its right in the middle of the city so thats is the trade off. Can't say it disturbed us at all.

Would definitely stay here again if wanting inner Auckland hotel. It really is a great location for Waterfront or Vector arena (brisk 10 minutes walk, don't bother with a taxi unless you have mobility issues).

Room Tip: Ask for room with Sky tower view.
  • Stayed May 2011, travelled with family
1 Thank tgagirl
Auckland Region, New Zealand
Reviewed 4 May 2011

My parnter and i have stayed here twice before and are again in June. Excellent facilities and rooms never disappoint. Always friendly staff and valet car service is superb. We woudl stay in no other place in Auckland City but here. Very central location off Queen Street

• Stayed November 2010, travelled as a couple
Wellington, New Zealand
Reviewed 28 April 2011

I booked a stay of 6 days the week before easter. I looked on t/a and saw other properties that appeared to be cheaper etc however I'm very happy with the experience we had here for the money we paid. We got an easter bunny special for $239 per night, 2 bedrooms suite (actually a one br suite with interconnecting door to studio room. There were 4 of us, two adults and two children (11 and 13)). I wanted a twin room for the kids. Incl in the package was parking (this is advertised as $35 per day for valet parking if not included in your package!) and breakfast at the restaurant. I would estimate that the space we got was about 60-65sq metres so I'm not sure what other reviewers are talking about re small space. We were on the 18th floor.

I booked about 3 weeks ahead on the hotel website. I noticed that a week out the rate for the package went up to $438 for the two br, not incl. breakfast so I'm glad I booked early. I also requested the twin room as our kids are not too good at sleeping on a sofa bed or in one bed!!

Anyway great stay, I don't mind paying for full service, the staff were attentive, well trained. The breakfast, although not lavish was always nice, fresh food and fruit etc. If I hadn't had that included it was another $26pp for an adult. I loved the central location stepping straight out on Queen St as I'm a shopper. A few of those other apartment properties that rate well on t/a are quite a walk from the centre or a hike up the hill. Also the link circular route bus stops outside the Queen St entrance to the hotel.

To summarise this is what I liked about the stay:
Central location
Decent breakfast buffet, high standard of food
Spacious room Value for money package, would have been expensive if we'd had to pay for parking though
Well trained and courteous staff
Decent quality air conditioning units Opening window - I don't like rooms that don't have opening windows
Second bedroom is not internal as in some other properties like the Oaks one I saw.
Decent bed and bedding
Good selection on sky

If you check out some of these other similar offerings in cheaper, not so well run and staffed properties you will find that one of the above factors is absent. I'm not really prepared to compromise on any of the above items, in particular I do not like arriving to find no opening windows or the second bedroom internal!!

I took our ipad where I have a prepaid card which overcomes the problem of expensive internet connections when travelling, however the kids went through a lot of gb doing youtube so we've banned that whilst on holiday!!

So to summarise I will come back, I would always look on the website for a package though.

Room Tip: Hotel package and book at least 3 weeks out
  • Stayed April 2011, travelled with family
1 Thank yeowon
Sydney, Australia
Reviewed 18 April 2011

Stayed here for 6 nights for business with 2 other colleagues. We had a 3 bedroom/3 bathroom apartment - which was great value for money and very spacious with 2 lounges, 2 dining rooms & 2 kitchens. Plenty of room for us to have our own space., but quite cosy as well Check in was smooth - although car parking is far too expensive. ($35 per night) As we were staying for 6 nights - we were offerred a car parking discount at check in - especially when we said that we were going to use the public car park which was across the side lane and only $8 per night. The only other comment I would make is that it can get a little noisy at night - especially Friday & Saturday nights especially if you leave your windows open. Apart from that - I would recommend Citylife due to its super location and the facilities and accommodation being first class

• Stayed April 2011, travelled on business
Exeter, United Kingdom
Reviewed 28 March 2011

We loved the position of this hotel on Queen Street within walking distance of many of Auckland's attractions. We felt that our "Superior Double" room was very small for the price and that the breakfast, which we only had once, was not very exciting for the cost.
The cleanliness was fine but we disliked other guests used breakfast trays which were put outside rooms and left all day.

• Stayed March 2011, travelled as a couple
Charlestown, Australia
Reviewed 14 March 2011

One of the better places to stay in Auckland, although there seems to be very limited onsite parking (and it's quite pricey to park).

Check-in was smooth, as was checkout. The staff are fabulous, even when we ventured down at almost midnight to ask if there was anywhere local we could grab some decent food - they pointed us in the right direction and we found good food!

The bathroom, and room in gneral was quite clean, although our bottom sheet did have a tear in it - quite possible just something that they missed, but still, it should have been noticed when they were making then bed.

The bathroom lacked a bath, but the shower was exceptionally good, we both enjoyed extra long showers here - not quite sure why, but they just felt great.

There are also a nicely sized indoor pool and a reasonably well equipt gym.

The location is great, with the side entrance opening directly onto the main street (Queen street) and easily within walking distance to the Casino, as well as the foreshore.

I'd have no hesitation in recommending this hotel to anyone looking for somewhere nice to stay.

• Stayed February 2011, travelled as a couple