Auckland suffers from a distinct lack of quality accommodation anytime but at NZ$385 p/night for an Executive Suite (room 512) in a Heritage brand hotel, we didn't expect a sleepless night on a concaved mattress, a broken bedside table lamp and faulty airconditioning - but that's what we got. Stripping the bed back in the morning - including the poorly veiled attempt to extend the life of the mattress ie the padded mattress topper, I discovered the date on the mattress was July '04 (see photo). In February 2012 that makes it almost eight years old and it wasn't a quality mattress to begin with. The mattress was so bad, we had to hold ourselves in position on either side of the mattress or roll together in the middle and the pillows weren't much better. Don't even get me started about what creatures are living inside a mattress that's had over five years public use, I shudder at the thought! To explain the faulty air con would take more time that any of us have. We arrived late evening after a flight from Sydney. For the Chairman of an NZ public company, fronting the AGM the next day on no sleep was far from the ideal. We also did not expect this of a hotel recommended by the American Express Platinum Club, but I will contact them about the standard of this hotel. It also wasn't the standard expected by the lawyer from Westpac Auckland (who use this hotel for staff) when I recounted the experience to her at lunch time. We tried to bring the situation to the attention of management but that just compounded the disappointment by an overreaching duty manager out of his depth. Later in the day (Friday) we followed up with the front desk who referred the complaint to the General Manager who, rather than make a call, deemed a sufficient response to be an apologetic email on Monday, offering half off and explaining they're replacing their beds. Sadly the mattress we were asked to pay to sleep on was not replaced before we got there. This hotel is in a central city location, the accommodations are at best 3 star and if you have no reservations at being asked to use an eight year old mattress for $385 or even half that, you may find it satisfactory. We don't.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Modern spacious high-rise - In the heart of Auckland. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Expedia, Agoda, Ctrip TA, Hotels.com, Ebookers, Cancelon, Evoline ltd, HotelsClick, 5viajes2012 S.L., HotelQuickly and getaroom.com so you can book your CityLife Auckland reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Citylife Auckland Hotel Auckland Central
- Citylife Hotel Auckland
- Auckland Citylife Hotel
- CityLife Auckland New Zealand