“Great location at a good price”
4 of 5 bubbles Review of CityLife Auckland

CityLife Auckland
Ranked #8 of 66 Hotels in Auckland
Bishops Stortford, United Kingdom
“Great location at a good price”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 February 2013 via mobile

Central Auckland only five minutes walk from the restaurants and bars on the waterfront. Lots of shopping nearby also. Rooms spacious and clean. Service very good both for the room and in the lobby. Valet parking at $35 was a boon - Car kept securely and you are able to get it in and out of the car park as many times as you wish. Didn't use the restaurant, hardly anyone seemed to be using it. Not really surprising as there are so many good places to eat within a five or 10 minute walk. Breakfast was expensive at $35. I went to the Occidental which is a Belgian bar just off Queen Street only two minutes walk from the hotel. Excellent breakfast deal for $8.50 plus coffee four dollars made for a very good start to the day. Would recommend city life if you are looking for somewhere Central, clean, and good value, especially if you have a car you need to park overnight.

Stayed February 2013, travelled solo
1 Thank 666awy

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (274)
  • Polish first
Wellington, New Zealand
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 February 2013

Last night I stayed at the CityLife hotel and really enjoyed it. My expectations were not really high, but I was suitably impressed during my stay. I stayed in a one bedroom unit and liked how the unit was kited out with a kitchen, dining room table, lounge and laundry. This room would be excellent if you were staying for longer than a night. The staff are friendly and reasonably informal. I had an excellent stay and would recommend this hotel to both business and weekend travellers.

seattle, wa
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 February 2013

We really liked this hotel. Awesome location on Queen. Very quiet. Reasonably priced. Full kitchen. Friendly staff. Nice amount of space. Internet was a little flakey, but that was our only complaint.

Koege
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 February 2013

Great location, clean rooms and in general good service, however, several things pulled it down to just an average experience.

Dinner in the restaurant was very good, however, the breakfast buffet was very expensive (35 NZ$) and very basic.

You also have to pay quite a lot for the internet (only free for one hour at the lobby). Not onlo do you have to pay, shortly after you start using it, it slows down unless you pay additional 5 NZ$. If that was enough, you have max 1.000 mb per day. I only surfed the internet but still reached the max within 24 hours. Not only that, once you reach it you get a rude message saying that 'they don't consider it fair hat you have used 1.000 mb' and that you now have to pay again! What kind of language is that? Internet should be free in all hotels these days. The hotels are making a fortune on this service.

Next issue was when I kindly asked for 2 hours extension when checking out. No - unless I paid 25 NZ$ per hour. I reminded the person at the receipt that the company I work for is one of their big customer. 'So?' was the answer. I asked if he cared that my company booked elsewhere in the future. 'That's their decision' was the answer. I understand they have rules but show some flexibility for your big customers unless you want to lose their business.

Last note. Their treadmill is off by some 20 - 25 percent. I have a very accurate Garmin foot pod for indoor use and know my running speed very well. When the foot pod said 8 km - the treadmill showed 10 km!

• Stayed February 2013, travelled on business
CAKL, General Manager at CityLife Auckland, responded to this review, 11 February 2013
Thank you - we appreciate the positive feedback on our rooms and service in general.
I am pleased you have also recieved my email to you which clarified the misunderstanding with the late check out - our check out time is 10am, so the hotel did extend your check out by two hours (until 12 noon) complimentary. It is normal and accepted to then be charged for any check outs later than 12 noon, in some cases later check outs are declined due to occupancy levels as we are obligated to have rooms ready for our arrival guests at 2PM.
We certainly always are willing to accommodate all requests where possible and your company is very accepting that in some cases charges will apply.
I have spoken to the staff member in regards to how he could have better handled your situation. You have my reassurance that this was an isolated incident and I am confident it would not happen again.
I have also contacted our internet provider to seek clarification on the message and instructions you received.
I am pleased that since you have posted these comments we have been able to touch base with each other and sort out any confusion and misuderstanding.
We look forward to welcoming you back to CityLife Auckland again this Friday
Northland Region, New Zealand
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 February 2013

This was the first time we stayed at Citylife Auckland. As title says, the staff here were lovely. Check in was great. Valet parking fast and efficient.

The room was a nice size (deluxe suite). A little worn in places but still clean as a whistle. It was a plus having a good size fridge and washing machine/dryer in the room. Fab range of toiletries provided from the Manuka Spa rang. Breakfast was included in our package deal and this was delicious. Plenty of fruit/cereals and all the typical cooked breakfast fare.

It is the best located hotel we have stayed in whilst in the city.

The negatives and the reasons why we won't stay here again are:

We had requested a higher floor because of reading about the noise. We were put on the 14th floor facing Queen Street. I had read the reviews saying it could be noisy, but as I am a heavy sleeper I thought the 14th floor would be high enough. I was wrong. I had about 2-3 hours sleep due to the noise from a typical Saturday night on Queen Street. Or should I say Saturday night Sunday morning. The noise went until 4 or 5am.

The bed. When we first got in it felt great. Quality sheets and perfect pillows. Then after about a minute we realised we were rolling together in the middle. And this was VERY uncomfortable. I actually had a bad back when I got up in the morning and my partner said he kept waking up because he was uncomfortable. We had seen that we could order Aromatherapy pillows so we called up around 3pm, just after we checked in, to order these for the night only to be told they had run out?

It is SUCH a shame that this hotel is let down by not having double glazing and a decent bed.
We would definitely stay there again if these issues are rectified. Until then, will stay elsewhere.

Really disappointed as we don't often get weekends away in the city and don't have the budget to do this often.

Room Tip: Request a room opposite side to Queen St!
  • Stayed February 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Pachewychomp
Thank you for your feedback - I am pleased to read you enjoyed the cooked breakfast in Zest. Please accept my sincere apologies for the inconvenience caused to you in regards to the external noise from Queen Street - I agree this is frustrating. We are working with the Auckland City Council on ways to be able to reduce the noise from the surrounding bars and night clubs. This year we are also commencing our retro-fitting double glazing program into rooms on the side of the building that is most exposed to the external noise, and plan to complete the entire hotel in stages. This project is a huge undertaking in both time and cost but we are confident it will be the right solution and ensure an uniterrupted nights sleep.
I was suprised to learn of your discomfort with our beds as we replaced all our beds with a super plush range last year. In regards to our aromatherapy pillows we have more pillows on back order to ensure our stock levels are maintained.
We look forward to welcoming you back to CityLife Auckland again soon - please feel free to contact me when you are next travelling up to Auckland and I would be pleased to allocate you to one of our retro-fitted double glazed rooms when completed so you can experience the difference it will and I am confident you will enjoy what you encounter.
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 February 2013 via mobile

Just Spent 3 nights here. Very impressed. Clean, modern and comfortable and in a perfect location. Staff friendly and helpful. The rooms have everything you would find in a serviced apartment yet are serviced daily as you would expect in a standard hotel. Would definitely recommend this hotel and will definitely be staying again.

Stayed February 2013, travelled on business
Thank you for your lovely comments - we do appreciate them! We look forward to welcoming you back again soon!
Sydney, Australia
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 February 2013 via mobile

I've stayed at CityLife many times over the past 15 years. It's always a good experience.
The location would have to be its biggest draw card; right on Queen St in central Auckland within easy walking distance of Viaduct Basin, shops and transport.

The hotel itself is very good, perhaps a little worn in places but very pleasant with well appointed spacious rooms.
Breakfast was pretty standard for a hotel.

Charges can be a bit of issue. as with most hotels - parking is not cheap and CityLife charges for wifi ($10/day which is quite low compared to some other Auckland hotels). There are some good combo deals that can be booked at CityLife that give you breakfast and parking as part of the tariff.

Staff were friendly and efficient.

Stayed January 2013, travelled solo
Thank you for your lovely comments and feedback - I am pleased that CityLife Auckland is your hotel of choice when travelling to Auckland - we look forward to welcoming you back again soon.