“A great stay right in the city”
Review of CityLife Auckland

CityLife Auckland
Ranked #8 of 67 Hotels in Auckland
New Zealand
“A great stay right in the city”
Reviewed 28 March 2014

I usually have a car, so stay a bit further out where parking is easier (and free - parking is $35 per day at City Life). But with no car this time I thought I'd try a central city hotel, and I'm pleased I did. It's a bit more expensive than I usually pay, but it was well worth it. A room to international hotel standards, with all the facilities you need (including gym and pool), located right on Auckland's main street, in the very heart of the city. Close to restaurants, theatres and cinemas, and very handy to work the next morning. I will stay here again.

• Stayed March 2014, travelled on business
David L, General Manager at CityLife Auckland, responded to this review, 29 March 2014
Dear Sparky81,

Thank you for your recent review and for sharing your experience with our readers. We were happy to read that you had a fantastic experience here at CityLife Auckland and I would recommend you book through our hotel website and take advantage of either packages we sell with parking included or our special add-on's menu which have discounts for services such as parking, breakfast and internet.

Thank you again for visiting CityLife Auckland and we hope to host you again in the near future.

T.H.E Front Office Manager

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (281)
  • Polish first
Bilthoven, The Netherlands
Reviewed 28 March 2014

Perfect place to discover Auckland. The apartment is well equipped and has plenty of room and a good bed.We only had a bit of a problem finding the parking, but that was solved by a very nice staff member who accompanied us in our car. Also the rest of the staff was very friendly.

• Stayed March 2014, travelled as a couple
Dear Ies N,

Thank you for your recent review and your wonderful comments about your room, our beds and staff. We are currently looking at ways to ensure our guests find our hotel forecourt but I am glad our staff were on hand to ensure your car was looked after. We look forward to welcoming you back to New Zealand and CityLife Auckland in the near future

Seattle, Washington
Reviewed 22 March 2014

This is a very nice hotel, well-located in the center of town, a couple blocks from the Sky Tower and an easy walk down to the harbor area. The hotel restaurant is decent, and it was nice to be able to just go downstairs for dinner the night we arrived. Only ate breakfast there once, it was the usual overpriced hotel buffet but with one unique aspect, an assortment of juice “shooters” of various concoctions. WiFi is free only in the public areas, and coverage is spotty – I couldn’t get a good connection in the restaurant – but there is a PC available in the lobby for guest use. They do charge for in-room access, which is annoying. There’s a small gym and lap pool on the 2nd floor.

We had a 1-bedroom suite on the 12th floor, with a view of surrounding high-rises. We appreciated the washer & dryer in the kitchen. The bed was comfortable, with good bedside reading lamps. The spacious closet had a stack of wire baskets to use in lieu of drawers, as there was no dresser in the room. The bathroom was a bit small but had good counter space and a heated towel rack. Lighting was terrible – a lighted makeup mirror would be a good addition. Overall, it was comfortable and a good choice for exploring Auckland.

Stayed March 2014, travelled as a couple
David L, Front Office Manager at CityLife Auckland, responded to this review, 23 March 2014
Dear Seattle98101,

Thank you for your recent review and choosing CityLife Auckland as your accommodation provider. Thank you for your comments about the Wi-Fi connection in the restaurant, please be assured we are currently in the process of installing an additional router to increase our coverage in that area. I have spoken to our Maintenance Manager to see if there are options of increasing lighting in our bathrooms.

Thank you again for your review and we hope you had a safe journey back to Seattle.

Hanmer Springs, New Zealand
Reviewed 15 March 2014

A lovely place to stay. Only hiccup we experienced was that our rooms weren't ready ( we were a group of 17) so getting changed for Bruce Springsteen was tricky. Also we all checked out just before 10am & then asked to breakfast in the dining room but were all turned away as it closes at 10 on a week day which was annoying esp at it was only just 10.00am

• Stayed March 2014, travelled with friends
David L, Front Office Manager at CityLife Auckland, responded to this review, 16 March 2014
Dear Nico0000,

Thank you for your recent review and for sharing your experience with our readers. I must apologise for your experience at breakfast and this something that I will follow up with our team as we would like to think we would serve our guests even 30 mins after closing time.

With regards to your check in it was one of the busiest weekend in Auckland and we anticipated for some our guests to wait for their rooms and I apologise for the wait. We certainly hope you and your friends enjoyed the concert and we hope to host you again in the near future.

Paraparaumu, New Zealand
Reviewed 12 March 2014

I stay at this hotel often and the point of difference compared too other hotels I have stayed in is the staff. They are always polite, efficient and very helpful. The hotel is in a great location close to restaurants, shops, transport and entertainment. And the hotel restaurant is also excellent and reasonable prices for the quality of the food.

Room Tip: The higher floors are quieter.
  • Stayed March 2014, travelled on business
1 Thank SteveMacNZ
David L, Front Office Manager at CityLife Auckland, responded to this review, 13 March 2014
Dear SteveMacNZ,

Thank you for your recent review and sharing your experience with our readers. Your positive comments on our staff, location and restaurant is much appreciated and it is certainly always a pleasure to host you at CityLife Auckland. We look forward to your next visit to us.

Tucson,AZ
Reviewed 11 March 2014

The best thing about this hotel is the location. Right on Queen St in close proximity to some great little cafés (I recommend going to Vulcan Lane which is a 3 minute walk away). This hotel is also a 10 minute walk (max) to the Britomart and the ferry terminal and the Sky Tower.

My main concern from reading other reviews was the noise at night from the surrounding bars primarily on Queen St. So I requested a room away from Queen St which they happily accommodated. My first night was a Thursday and noise was not an issue at all. However Friday and Saturday night I could hear some crowd noise and thumping of base from music at a bar/club despite being n the 16th floor. I never did quite figure out exactly where that place was. Even with the white noise app on my iPhone that I always travel with could not drown it the thumping of the music. So I came prepared with earplugs as backup and that did the trick and I was able to sleep ok after that. I did hear some folks at the hotel restaurant complaining about the noise the next morning at breakfast. So my advice is that is you staying Sun - Thurs noise should not be much of an issue. However if you are staying on a Friday or Saturday night I recommend you come prepared with a noise blocking technique just in case

So basically the location is both the best feature yet also possibly the worst feature depending how you look at it. That being said I would stay here again (with ear plugs in my suitcase).

I did find the hotel restaurant breakfast to be a little overpriced and mediocre so I would recommend you walk 3 minutes to nearby Vulcan lane and choose from one of their 3 excellent cafés for a slightly cheaper price and much better food (I recommend Cafe Melba which I have reviewed separately)

• Stayed March 2014, travelled solo
1 Thank traveler62577
David L, Front Office Manager at CityLife Auckland, responded to this review, 14 March 2014
Dear Traveler62577,

Thank you for your recent review of CityLife Auckland, it is always great to receive feedback from Senior Contributors such as yourself on TripAdvisor.

I must apologise for the experience you had over the weekend and I can confirm this was a nearby resident which was causing all the issues. Our night staff called the Council and Police to try and close the music down but encountered significant trouble trying to access the building. The hotel has a responsibility to ensure our guests have the best possible sleep so when issues like this arise, we feel just as frustrated as our guests as it hinders us from delivering a service which we pride ourselves on.

With regards to the restaurant we do have a full price for the hot and cold buffet but we also offer an Al a Carte option which we believe rivals most nearby cafes for price and quality. Thank you again for your feedback and we hope to host you again in the near future.

Wellington, New Zealand
Reviewed 11 March 2014

Clean, friendly staff, modern décor in a very central location. We got upgraded to a Deluxe suite which was nice.

Room was on the second floor facing into the alley so very noisy rubbish trucks constantly waking us this ruined my sleep.

Tayndya front service lady was an absolute star.

Room Tip: DONOT get a room on the lower floor facing the back (where the main drive up part is) you will not...
  • Stayed March 2014, travelled with friends
David L, Front Office Manager at CityLife Auckland, responded to this review, 12 March 2014
Dear Trailertroll,

Thank you for taking the time to review our hotel, I do apologise for the lack of sleep you experienced due to the rubbish trucks outside the hotel and agree this must have been frustrating. We have some rooms on trial at the moment with double glazed windows and we are receiving very positive responses for them so hopefully this initiative will be expanded to the rest of the hotel in the near future.

With regards to the service you received from Tapasya at the Front Desk, I will ensure she is acknowledged for your comments. Thank you again for sharing your feedback and we hope to host you again in the near future.