“Great stay”

Ranked #49 of 67 Hotels in Auckland
Perth, Australia
“Great stay”
Reviewed 12 May 2011

I stayed here 3 nights while on interviews for work. The front desk and bar staff were incredibly nice and helpful. Great value for 3 nights for an Auckland city hotel; will recommend to others.

• Stayed July 2010, travelled on business

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (118)
Christchurch, New Zealand
Reviewed 15 April 2011

I had a bit of a disappointing stay at the Copthorne Auckland and after I had left, I received an email asking me about my stay. I responded honestly but now that 3 weeks have passed and I have had no response to my email or concerns, I felt I should post it here.

I arrived quite early and while waiting for a room, went off to have breakfast in the cafe/restaurant. The young woman at the restaurant desk was very surly. I checked the menu at the desk and asked for the scrambled egg and smoked salmon which I think was marked as $16. The young woman asked me for $18 or so, and I pointed out the lower printed menu price. Without a word, she turned her payment screen towards me and stabbed a finger at the higher amount that had come up on her screen. I asked for a cup of tea as well, and she said – 'that's with a full breakfast'. I didn't bother to figure out what she meant. She took my cash, gave me change and never spoke another word. On the other hand, the young chap at the hotel front desk (I believe, from Christchurch) was enthusiastic and very helpful indeed. Went off to my room and after a few minutes, discovered that water was pouring through the ceiling in my bathroom. Called the front desk and was told someone would be up. A while later, a couple of people knocked on the
door, looked at it and said that maintenance doesn’t work on a Sunday and that it would be fine. I mentioned that it was really loud, and he asked if I wanted to change rooms. It was organised that I switched to the room opposite. Found only 2 entirely flat pillows – housekeeping opened another room and gave me some pillows that had a little filling. Decided to make tea – no tea cups in the room. Called housekeeping again and was
brought one. No bath mat - just used a towel. Had the afternoon away and returned later. That was when I discovered that my room and bed backed directly onto the lift shaft.
It was a night from hell with hardly a half hour when I was not woken by the lift banging behind my head. And when it wasn’t the lift, the fridge clunked and clanged all night and unfortunately I wasn’t awake enough to figure out I could have turned it off.

Won't be back.

Room Tip: Ask for a room away from the lift
  • Stayed March 2011, travelled on business

Travellers are raving about these Auckland hotels

Shanghai, China
Reviewed 11 April 2011

I have stayed here on many occasions, mainly because of location, as it is only a short walk to Queens Street and downtown Auckland. On this visit, I was caught off-guard and was lucky to get a room, as the Vecta Area had a big concert and this hotel is very close, so they were was very busy.
I find the staff very friendly and always willing to help. I am regularly greeted by the management and they make me feel appreciated and valued as a customer.
I am happy to recommend this hotel and I will be returning in the future.

• Stayed April 2011, travelled on business
Campbelltown, Australia
Reviewed 4 April 2011

I traveled with my senior citizen Mum, who doesn't get to enjoy the finer things too often. We enjoyed the meal at night, with a special 20% discount, and a splendid array for the breakfast. The staff were delightful and always helpful. Thanks Copthorne Auckland City.

Room Tip: book via web with online discounts available.
  • Stayed March 2011, travelled on business
Nelson, New Zealand
Reviewed 4 March 2011

We booked this hotel because it was close to the Vector Arena. Other reviews mention the parking - luckily we managed to get into the very small car park both days, but I think more by luck than judgement - I'm glad my car isn't too big, because I'm not sure I would have been able to squeeze past the barriers protecting the external 'tarting up' f I'd had a bigger vehicle. I don't know if there is any other parking available close by. We had a room on the 5th floor overlooking Anzac Avenue. It was clean, but in need of a fairly serious amount of TLC.

The bed was comfortable, but the pillows were a bit lumpy. Old furniture with stains and rings all over it, old TV in a rather strange cabinet which also housed the tea/coffee, etc. We stayed for 2 nights and, as we are an environmentally friendly couple, we chose to re-use our towels and hung them up. Regardless of this, they were still replaced - what is the point of giving you the option of using them again when they are replaced anyway? We also were not given another shower gel for our second night - one small bottle does not really last two days.

The dining room leaves a lot to be desired. It feels as though you are eating in a staff canteen - the chairs are all stained and the general ambience is non existent. The buffet breakfast on the first morning was cold. The a la carte for the second day was much better, but took ages to arrive.

All in all, handy for the Vector Arena, but it doesn't have an awful lot else going for it. Not sure how Qualmark gave it 4 stars.

Stayed March 2011, travelled as a couple
Escondido, California
Reviewed 9 February 2011

We will never stay at a Copthorne property again. On a 3 night stay at the Copthorne in Auckland city, we had the following unpleasant experiences: 1) fewer than a dozen parking spaces and all hard to get into and out of because of construction, 2) a soiled sheet that housekeeping did not change from the first day although we requested same, 3) housekeeping did not show up until 4 pm on our last day, requiring us to leave the room while she made it up, 4) we took our diet cokes to the lobby and sat to wait only to be accosted by a rude manager who ordered us out of the lobby - telling us that we could not drink there. I calmly pointed out that we were drinking diet coke and only came there because housekeeping was making up our room at 4:30 pm. He huffed a bit and left. Later, he sent a clerk to tell us that our room was ready - no apology for his behavior or for delinquent housekeeping. When we went upstairs, my wife pulled back the top sheet - the soiled bottom sheet was still there! This hotel does not care for its patrons, but we got plenty of broadsides and notes about what a fine job they are doing saving the environment. We love the environment, too, but provide our guests with clean sheets.

• Stayed February 2011, travelled as a couple
1 Thank EdR_11
Ohio
Reviewed 26 January 2011

Accommodating staff, great location for those boarding a cruise ship. Ok breakfast if getting pre booking price. Rooms are rather spartan, but about what I expected after reading previous reviews. Pretty much average, however it worked fine for us.

• Stayed January 2011, travelled as a couple