“I was impressed”

Copthorne Hotel Auckland City
Ranked #45 of 66 Hotels in Auckland Central
Reviewed 3 June 2011

I have read a number of reviews regarding this hotel and must say I can not believe the comments they make. I found this hotel to be a real gem close to the city. The room was on a corner with lovely views across the park and the city. It had recently been renovated and was great decor. I found the bed to be of good quality and certainly has a very good nights sleep. The room service breakfast was a little pricey, but was of good presentation and taste. I will most certainly be staying here again should the need arise.

Room Tip: Ask for a renovated room on the 4th floor or above
  • Stayed: May 2011, travelled on business
2  Thank gahchch

Reviewed 31 May 2011

I spend a minimum of 2 nights a week on business in Auckland and have done for the last 2 years. In that time, I have probably stayed in 20 different hotels in and around the CBD but have now settled on this one. Competitive prices, friendly staff, recently decorated, walking distance to anything of note and free parking - this last factor alone saves you $25 a night!

• Stayed: May 2011, travelled on business
Reviewed 20 May 2011

My husband surprised me with a night in the city as part of our 30th wedding anniversary celebrations (we live in Auckland, but spending a night in a hotel in town is really convenient when meeting up with friends and family). We found The Copthorne to be perfectly adequate for the night and for the cost. The staff were helpful and friendly.
The location is really ideal, close to the Viaduct and all it's restaurants, close to the ferry building and really within easy walking distance to Queen Street and shopping. We wandered up to the casino for some entertainment and pre dinner drinks etc.....an easy 20 minute or so stroll.
Yes, the hotel is looking a bit jaded around the edges however our room was spotless and the bed was extremely comfortable, what more do you need? We had a gorgeous harbour view from the room and on opening the curtains in the morning we were surprised to see that a cruise ship had arrived during the night.....what a beautiful outlook.
Thankfully our air conditioning worked perfectly as it might have been a tad noisy in the early hours of the morning when the nearby night clubs and restaurants emptied out, so we wouldn't have wanted the windows open. However we slept very well and were really quite happy with our short stay.

Room Tip: Ask for a room with a harbour view.
  • Stayed: February 2011, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 15 May 2011

The fourth floor room we stayed in for the first three nights was was very comfortable - however I give a low rating because of a toxic smell emitted (possibly from the air-conditioner?:/) in the sixth floor room we stayed in on our return visit. The staff were wonderful though was funny to see the welcome change when realised we were not the group that they were obviously expecting. All guests should be treated the same!! Definitely do not recommend Zoe's Restaurant located on ground floor near foyer. Breakfast was substantial for price but our dinner menu choice could have been purchased at a seaside cafe for a third of price - would be surprised if a qualified chef was cooking at the time. Was also amused when our request for a particular table was refused - reason being was reserved for an expected group (that never presented while we were there). Hardly a restaurant.

• Stayed: May 2011, travelled as a couple
1  Thank janal1983
Reviewed 12 May 2011

I stayed here 3 nights while on interviews for work. The front desk and bar staff were incredibly nice and helpful. Great value for 3 nights for an Auckland city hotel; will recommend to others.

• Stayed: July 2010, travelled on business
Reviewed 15 April 2011

I had a bit of a disappointing stay at the Copthorne Auckland and after I had left, I received an email asking me about my stay. I responded honestly but now that 3 weeks have passed and I have had no response to my email or concerns, I felt I should post it here.

I arrived quite early and while waiting for a room, went off to have breakfast in the cafe/restaurant. The young woman at the restaurant desk was very surly. I checked the menu at the desk and asked for the scrambled egg and smoked salmon which I think was marked as $16. The young woman asked me for $18 or so, and I pointed out the lower printed menu price. Without a word, she turned her payment screen towards me and stabbed a finger at the higher amount that had come up on her screen. I asked for a cup of tea as well, and she said – 'that's with a full breakfast'. I didn't bother to figure out what she meant. She took my cash, gave me change and never spoke another word. On the other hand, the young chap at the hotel front desk (I believe, from Christchurch) was enthusiastic and very helpful indeed. Went off to my room and after a few minutes, discovered that water was pouring through the ceiling in my bathroom. Called the front desk and was told someone would be up. A while later, a couple of people knocked on the
door, looked at it and said that maintenance doesn’t work on a Sunday and that it would be fine. I mentioned that it was really loud, and he asked if I wanted to change rooms. It was organised that I switched to the room opposite. Found only 2 entirely flat pillows – housekeeping opened another room and gave me some pillows that had a little filling. Decided to make tea – no tea cups in the room. Called housekeeping again and was
brought one. No bath mat - just used a towel. Had the afternoon away and returned later. That was when I discovered that my room and bed backed directly onto the lift shaft.
It was a night from hell with hardly a half hour when I was not woken by the lift banging behind my head. And when it wasn’t the lift, the fridge clunked and clanged all night and unfortunately I wasn’t awake enough to figure out I could have turned it off.

Won't be back.

Room Tip: Ask for a room away from the lift
  • Stayed: March 2011, travelled on business
Reviewed 11 April 2011

I have stayed here on many occasions, mainly because of location, as it is only a short walk to Queens Street and downtown Auckland. On this visit, I was caught off-guard and was lucky to get a room, as the Vecta Area had a big concert and this hotel is very close, so they were was very busy.
I find the staff very friendly and always willing to help. I am regularly greeted by the management and they make me feel appreciated and valued as a customer.
I am happy to recommend this hotel and I will be returning in the future.

• Stayed: April 2011, travelled on business