“Average hotel”

Ranked #50 of 67 Hotels in Auckland
Lancashire, United Kingdom
“Average hotel”
Reviewed 19 April 2013

I stopped at for 1 night on 2 separate occasions in March 2013 in a twin room.

Summary
Overall an average city hotel, which needs updating with poor service and located quite a way from Auckland's main attractions.

This review is based on my stay in rooms 309 & 212.

The room amenities include: Air Conditioning, 2x Queen beds, fridge, Sky TV, broadband (charges apply), tea & coffee making facilities with kettle, hair dryer, iron and board.

Hotel amenities include:- Restaurant, exercise balls available from reception, currency exchange facilities, coin operated laundry ($4 per machine, $2 powder) and 20 minutes free wifi per day

Located on Anzac Avenue near to the university and Auckland's main arena. An easy 20-25 minute walk to the CBD and waterfront area of Auckland, up hill on the way back. A small mini market about 5 minutes away from the hotel but not much else surrounding the hotel if on foot.

Room 309 located on the 3rd floor and is facing the front of the hotel, where it is quietest, the front views overlook Anzac Avenue. A tired, dark and old fashioned but spacious room with plenty of storage.

Room 212 located on the 2nd floor and is facing the rear of the hotel, where it is noisiest, the rear views are of the train station and the arena but you do get a harbour view. A tired and old fashioned but spacious room. There is a balcony which overlooks the hotel's air conditioning units, however the balcony door won't lock and there is no safe in the room.

The first night I stopped at the Copthorne Hotel Auckland City was my first night in New Zealand, I had flown in from Hong Kong on an overnight flight. I arrived at the hotel at around 11.00am and was told on check in that my room wasn't ready. I was told I could secure my luggage and go for a walk in the city, use the restaurant or wait. We decided to wait as all we wanted to do was to freshen up and have a cup of tea. We waited around 45 minutes.

The free wifi in the lobby is terrible, you can not access emails or even facebook, it takes the whole of the 20 minutes just to load up a single web page. Do your self a favour walk into the CBD and go in McDonalds and use their free and fast wifi for any communication.

I ate in the restaurant on my first night in New Zealand and found it satisfying and reasonably priced for a hotel restaurant. Fish & Chips $24. Parpedelle, mushroom & asparagus $21.

Breakfast was included in the room rate and is the standard fare, bacon, sausages, hash browns, tomatoes, beans, mushrooms, selection of breads/toast, cereals, pastries, tea, coffee and fruit juice. However there is simply not enough tables and chairs in the restaurant. I had to eat in the lounge off my lap on both occasions after asking for some cutlery and napkins as the waiting staff were not very helpful.

I have given this hotel the worst rating I have ever given to a hotel on Tripadvisor mainly because the service was so bad. I waited for my room on arrival, I sorted my own seating arrangements out at breakfast and waited at reception 30 minutes to check out.

Overall I wouldn't recommend nor stop at this hotel again.

Room Tip: Rooms facing the front of the hotel are quieter
  • Stayed March 2013, travelled with friends
Sarah O, Manager at Copthorne Hotel Auckland City, responded to this review, 25 April 2013
Thank you very much for your feedback, this is always appreciated. I'm sorry to read you would not stay or recommend us and have taken your comment and your feedback on board. Thank you for taking the time to post your thoughts.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (118)
Hamilton, New Zealand
Reviewed 16 April 2013 via mobile

Before I started, our initial room's air conditioning wasn't working and they gave us another room with no fuss, the staff even offered to move our stuff for us even though we had unpacked.

Cleanliness:- spotless!

Location:- about 10-15 mins walk to CBD, the return trip is a uphill climb!

Rooms:- as mentioned, excellent!

Service & Staff:- really friend and accommodated us well, always glad to help and give us a maximum happy experience

Value:- awesome cheap pricing but you have to pay for parking, and a limited number of places available..

• Stayed January 2013
Sarah O, Manager at Copthorne Hotel Auckland City, responded to this review, 18 April 2013
Thank you very much for taking the time to provide feedback, this is really appreciated and I'm pleased to hear you had such a great stay. We look forward to welcoming you back again
Cleveland, Ohio
Reviewed 15 April 2013

The Copethorne Auckland City Hotel is in a convenient location for waling to the ferry dock and to the Sky Tower. The parking is paid parking and the spaces are very limited.

The staff was very helpful with directions and on two occasions printed out direstions for us.

Room Tip: Corner rooms have best view, higher rooms have less street noise.
  • Stayed April 2013, travelled with family
Sarah O, Manager at Copthorne Hotel Auckland City, responded to this review, 17 April 2013
Thank you very much for your feedback, I'm pleased to hear you enjoyed our central location and we look forward to welcoming you back again sometime
Ngunguru, New Zealand
Reviewed 7 April 2013

There is not nearly enough parking,and none for disabled.When I asked the desk clerk where to park, I was given a map and some spiel on where to park.She acted like she had said it 1000 times,and the hotel could do no more to help.I think that hotel staff should keep in mind that MOST guests that arrive to a hotel,have done some travelling to get there,and are probably tired by the time they check in to a hotel,and most likely never visited this hotel or city before.There was NO parking anywhere but down at the bottom of a steep hill around the block from the hotel.Yes, I managed to climb this hill,bag in tow, a 50-something woman with Multiple Sclerosis.I had to then move my car later in the evening to another spot (so not to be towed) and found a disabled spot across the busy street.The hotel was clean "enough" but not worth the discounted rate I received by using a booking web site.I witnessed two different guests who were complaining to the desk clerks about something (couldn't hear why) and that is never a good sign. Something is obviously not good at this place. f you do not have a car,and arrive by taxi or bus,you wouldn't worry about parking.Could the hotel offer a shuttle service of some kind?That could help.Even though I was travelling solo this trip, I felt very "alone" at this hotel.

• Stayed April 2013, travelled solo
Sarah O, Manager at Copthorne Hotel Auckland City, responded to this review, 9 April 2013
Thank you very much for taking the time to provide feedback and I'm sorry to hear the issues that you had in regards to carparking. Please note we do have a disabled carpark and this can be reserved prior to arrival if it is available. I'm sorry we were not able to provide a carpark for you during your recent stay here, as you will have noticed it is very limited however we do make every effort to get as many cars as possible parked on site. I appreciate your comments that most guests arrive having travelled some distance and every effort should be made to ensure they are made to feel welcome from the start. I will pass your comments onto the front office team but again, thank you for taking the time to provide feedback, this is always appreciated.
Wellington, New Zealand
Reviewed 27 March 2013

Staff at reception were excellent - very helpful and friendly. We had carparking included in our rate but carpark full. Two staff ensured we could still park by accommodating the car in a temporary park. Room rate included "free upgrade" - not sure what the other room would have looked like as this one pretty small! Great sized TV though. Air con pretty noisy at night. All in all, good value for inner city. Will return but Would try to book top floor room if these are bigger. Many thanks

• Stayed March 2013, travelled as a couple
Sarah O, Manager at Copthorne Hotel Auckland City, responded to this review, 1 April 2013
Thank you very much for the feedback and I'm pleased to hear you had a great stay with us. All of our rooms are the same size except the suites we have on the top floor which have a lounge and separate living area. I'm pleased the staff were able to assist with your car parking and we look forward to having the opportunity to accommodate you again in the future.
Hamilton, New Zealand
Reviewed 20 March 2013

We booked online and thought we had gotten a great deal to stay at a four star hotel in the centre of Auckland. How wrong we were. Check in took forever as there was not enough staff for the number of people checking in at the time. The room was small and the decor was outdated, it appears it hasn't been updated since the 70's or so. There were panels loose in the ceiling of the bathroom so you could see into the roof and there were cracked tiles and it generally looked tired and worn. I can't really comment on the service as other than checking in and checking out we didn't require anything but we will not be staying here again as I felt thoroughly ripped off. What a massive disappointment.

• Stayed April 2012, travelled as a couple
Sarah O, Manager at Copthorne Hotel Auckland City, responded to this review, 24 March 2013
Thank you for taking the time to provide feedback and I'm sorry to hear you did not have an enjoyable stay with us recently. We have undergone a refurbishment in the top 3 floors and are currently refurbishing the bottom 3 floors. I appreciate you taking the time to provide feedback, this is always appreciated.

Travellers are raving about these Auckland hotels

Auckland Region, New Zealand
Reviewed 18 March 2013

The staff were friendly and helpful, the room was clean and met our needs, although it was odd there were only 2 glasses, and cups and saucers which wasnt enough as we'd booked 4 people. Air con is old and not particularly efficient, particularly on a very humid Auckland night. Parking was bordering on stupid, with the only park available to us a tiny space that required everyone but the driver to get out before parking. Very yummy breakfast!

• Stayed March 2013, travelled with family
Sarah O, Manager at Copthorne Hotel Auckland City, responded to this review, 20 March 2013
Thank you very much for the feedback and I'm pleased to read that overall you had a great stay and enjoyed the breakfast that we have to offer! We look forward to welcoming you back again