“Not Overwhelming”

Ranked #53 of 67 Hotels in Auckland
Sydney, Australia
“Not Overwhelming”
Reviewed 14 January 2012

We arrived at the Hotel and were greeted by a none too enthusiastic young lady. The Hotel itself is in need of a refurb, our room (although with a harbour view) was tired and dated. I am not sure if this Hotel is suitable for wheelchairs (we didn't see a ramp anywhere), we were offered no assistance with our luggage. I have stayed in other Hotels in Auckland which were of a higher standard with a much more reasonable rate than the NZ180 we paid (b'fast not included). I would not stay here again.

Room Tip: All rooms face the Harbour - may be an idea to ask for a room on a higher floor as the AMP building...
  • Stayed January 2012, travelled as a couple

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (287)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
Sydney, Australia
Reviewed 8 January 2012

I arrived late, after midnight, but had forewarned the hotel in my booking. The guy on reception stared at his computer for about 15 minutes then told me that they'd sold my room even though I had a confirmed booking. Needless to say I was not happy. They only had one room left, he told me, which was a small twin on a lower level. I had wanted, and paid for, a deluxe king size room with a view.

The room i got, at 12:45am, was a shabby shoebox. There were water stains in the bath, the tv was something out of the 1980's and the whole thing was way under par. the only consolation is that next morning, they only charged me 50% of my original room rate.

What had happened, they said, was that someone else with my name had booked in that previous evening, and even though he had booked in under another travel agent, the hotel had thought it was a duplicate booking, cancelled my reservation and sold my room.

I had wanted to stay at the Copthorne because it was close to the Waiheke Island ferry which I had to take the next morning. In other words, the location was convenient. But the hotel is way sub-standard.

nd small things, like internet access is nearly $30 per day - outrageous - yet there's free wi-fi in the lobby but only for 20 minutes. Also the breakfast is nearly $30 and for what you get, again it's outrageous.

Would I stay there again? No.

The one good thing is that the people on reception were very sweet and good natured. It's just that the hotel is a two star at best.

Room Tip: Make sure they haven't sold your room before you get there.
  • Stayed January 2012, travelled on business
1 Thank billbennettoz

Travellers are raving about these Auckland hotels

Hamilton
Reviewed 5 January 2012

180 degree view over the BEAUTIFUL Auckland harbour. Short stroll to restaurants, ferries and CBD. Tarif was cheap. Bed large and comfortable. clean

Room Tip: higher has a better view and less noice
  • Stayed January 2012, travelled with family
Dunedin, New Zealand
Reviewed 3 January 2012

Location fantastic- very close to waterfront. Found the staff very friendly, and had done a great job of cleaning the room. Breakfast was good- and much cheaper than other places we had looked at.

• Stayed December 2011, travelled as a couple
1 Thank JME92
Perth Australia
Reviewed 2 January 2012

We disembarked from our 12 night Sydney to Auckland cruise on the Celebrity Century and walked the 200 meters to the Copthorne Auckland Harbourcity Hotel, the proximity to the International Cruise Terminal was what had us book an overnight stay here before getting our lunchtime flight back to Perth.

It was also the reason many of our fellow cruises passengers from the USA also chose the Harbourcity, and boy were we all in for a surprise after the five star cruise we ended up in a half star hotel.

We did not expect to be able to get into our room at 9am when we disembarked, but were assured that we should be able to get in by 12 noon their advertised time, so dropping off our cases we caught the inner circle bus and spent time touring Auckland hopping off and on when we found somewhere of interest.

Having lunch at a wharf side café we returned at about 1.30pm only to be told our room would not be ready until after 2pm, so off we went and did some shopping, it was in one store talking with a nice lady shop assistant, who lived in Auckland for many years, and when told of where we were staying she profoundly apologised to us on behalf of Auckland and the whole of New Zealand for the Copthorne Harbourcity Hotel!

We returned just after 2pm and then sat in the foyer for another 45 minutes before eventually getting into our 9th floor room at about 3pm.

The room was small dingy and in need of a major overhaul as does the rest of the hotel, better still demolish it and start from scratch would be better, our outlook, as is the case for all rooms, was directly to the 10 story building across the street, and for us directly into a two story high neon sign which shone through the drawn curtains all night!

It has to be said that the New Zealand inventor of Bungy Jumping got the idea after traveling in the Copthorne’s lifts, they would have to be the scariest lifts we have ever been in, for having dropped like a stone from the 9th floor, they bounce about two foot up and down when they reach the ground floor, what a ride.

The next morning we checked out at 10am and the queue at the desk was long and the mood was sombre however we managed to get the bill sorted just in time to catch our 10.30 transfer to the airport, along with two other American couples from the ship, who were simply gobsmacked.

All we can collectively say is don’t be taken by its proximity to the Cruise Terminal, catch a cab, bus, train or walk for miles to any other hotel it will be worth your while.

Room Tip: No rooms are good
  • Stayed December 2011, travelled with friends
1 Thank BJC49
Hamilton, New Zealand
Reviewed 30 December 2011

Have stayed here many times. Recommend it highly for good sized rooms with guaranteed views of waterfront, excellent breakfasts and handy location to transport. Consistently reasonable tariffs with occasional excellent deals on internet. Have stayed at other cbd hotels but this one tends to be my favourite.

Room Tip: Rooms close to lifts can be a little noisy. Double glazed windows need to be aligned accurately to...
  • Stayed December 2011, travelled solo
Auckland
Reviewed 30 December 2011

I stayed one night and it was great for what I wanted, the very best location in Auck. Close to the Viaduct, ferry, bus/train terminals and Downtown Auck. Service was good and facilities very good for the money I paid. Any more and the review would take a slant.

• Stayed December 2011, travelled solo