“Location / Service Spot On”

and 1 more site!
Copthorne Hotel Auckland HarbourCity
Ranked #51 of 65 Hotels in Auckland
Wellington, New Zealand
“Location / Service Spot On”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 January 2012

Superb location. Brilliant outlook. Great service. Good price - book early to get great deals. Great shower pressure. Yes bits a bit tired, but, still very clean. We enjoyed our stay. We'll be back and will definitely recommend to others. We were on Level 11.

Room Tip: Request upper floor room when booking - to enjoy more of the view and would be quieter. if you have...
  • Stayed January 2012, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Mike H

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (287)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
Perth Western Australia
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 January 2012

There's no doubt that this hotel is in a good location. However, the room we had was very tired and the bathroom was horrible. They had one of those plastic suction mats on the bath which looked like it had been around for a very long time. The room was noisy, plumbing noises and externally. We were on the 10th floor but could hear the partygoers going home early in the morning. When we checked out we advised the desk that we did not use anything from the minibar, however, when we got home and checked our credit card statement we were charged for a bottle of water. It's not the money -NZ$4 - but the principle of such behaviour. After contacting the hotel they have since refunded this money but it should not have happened in the first place. How many times do they get away with this?

1 Thank Idaellen

Travellers are raving about these Auckland hotels

Auckland
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 January 2012

This hotel was excellently located in the viaduct harbour. It is close to everything and nightlife. Rooms were not at other hotel standards in the area but you have to consider location in any rating. Hotel staff were friendly and a lock problem was rectified quickly and we were looked after. There were no in house movies which I thought was unusual for a hotel. I think overall good money for value especially considering location.

Sydney, Australia
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 January 2012

We arrived at the Hotel and were greeted by a none too enthusiastic young lady. The Hotel itself is in need of a refurb, our room (although with a harbour view) was tired and dated. I am not sure if this Hotel is suitable for wheelchairs (we didn't see a ramp anywhere), we were offered no assistance with our luggage. I have stayed in other Hotels in Auckland which were of a higher standard with a much more reasonable rate than the NZ180 we paid (b'fast not included). I would not stay here again.

Room Tip: All rooms face the Harbour - may be an idea to ask for a room on a higher floor as the AMP building...
  • Stayed January 2012, travelled as a couple
Sydney, Australia
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 January 2012

I arrived late, after midnight, but had forewarned the hotel in my booking. The guy on reception stared at his computer for about 15 minutes then told me that they'd sold my room even though I had a confirmed booking. Needless to say I was not happy. They only had one room left, he told me, which was a small twin on a lower level. I had wanted, and paid for, a deluxe king size room with a view.

The room i got, at 12:45am, was a shabby shoebox. There were water stains in the bath, the tv was something out of the 1980's and the whole thing was way under par. the only consolation is that next morning, they only charged me 50% of my original room rate.

What had happened, they said, was that someone else with my name had booked in that previous evening, and even though he had booked in under another travel agent, the hotel had thought it was a duplicate booking, cancelled my reservation and sold my room.

I had wanted to stay at the Copthorne because it was close to the Waiheke Island ferry which I had to take the next morning. In other words, the location was convenient. But the hotel is way sub-standard.

nd small things, like internet access is nearly $30 per day - outrageous - yet there's free wi-fi in the lobby but only for 20 minutes. Also the breakfast is nearly $30 and for what you get, again it's outrageous.

Would I stay there again? No.

The one good thing is that the people on reception were very sweet and good natured. It's just that the hotel is a two star at best.

Room Tip: Make sure they haven't sold your room before you get there.
  • Stayed January 2012, travelled on business
1 Thank billbennettoz
Hamilton
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 January 2012

180 degree view over the BEAUTIFUL Auckland harbour. Short stroll to restaurants, ferries and CBD. Tarif was cheap. Bed large and comfortable. clean

Room Tip: higher has a better view and less noice
  • Stayed January 2012, travelled with family
Dunedin, New Zealand
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 January 2012

Location fantastic- very close to waterfront. Found the staff very friendly, and had done a great job of cleaning the room. Breakfast was good- and much cheaper than other places we had looked at.

1 Thank JME92