“chelsea”

Ranked #52 of 66 Hotels in Auckland
Christchurch, New Zealand
“chelsea”
Reviewed 3 December 2013

so me and my friends have stayed here 3 times within a couple months every time has been horrible from first not getting inter connecting doors when that was what we asked for then getting charged for something out of the mini bar which we did not take after tht we would get it removed this last time was it and we will not be staying here ever again there were 3 of us and the woman at the counter without asking any questions took my credit card and charged the whole 2 nights on it not only did she max it out I had no spending money for the whole weekend which resulted in me borrowing of friends the woman didn't care we had planned to prepay which we still did so we basicly payed double at the time after complaining to management I got 3 measly drink vouchers which I didn't bother using I am now still stuck with a credit card it over draft which I have never had which will result in bank fees be very careful to check this hotels ridiculous bond system before staying here we will NOT be back

• Stayed November 2013, travelled with friends

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (287)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
Leeds
Reviewed 1 December 2013

We stayed here for two nights in November 2013. After checking in we were getting changed to go out when another guest walked into our room! They too had been given our room key - I immediately phoned reception and expressed my horror at another guest walking in on us and was advised that we should be in the room and there had been a mix up! I complained to the manager who apologised and gave us 4 drinks vouchers and offered us breakfast for the next two mornings! We have stayed in the Copthorne Hotel in Newcastle, United Kingdom and it is in a different league. This hotel is quite run down and still uses 'keys' to enter your room. We ate in the restaurant on both nights and the first night I purchased a 'special' which was steak and chips for $18, the steak was quite small so the next night I ordered from the standard menu and paid $28 for steak, chips and egg - I wish I hadn't because the steak was even smaller than the previous night - I have never had a sirloin steak as small ever - Definitely not worth $28. Breakfast was nice though.

• Stayed November 2013, travelled with family
Katikati, New Zealand
Reviewed 27 November 2013

Quick pleasant check-in, and efficient check-out.
Rooms basic for the price, no extra cup, tea or milk put in room for our extra person, but the bed and towels were all set up on arrival.
Location is great for ferry access, with a short walk to Viaduct and on to Wynyard Quarter.

• Stayed November 2013, travelled with friends
1 Thank Tanyadc67
Invercargill, New Zealand
Reviewed 27 November 2013

If you are looking for something in the centre of Auckland, this is great.

Staff very helpful, we needed direction somewhere and they were able to provide these. Also allowed up to have a late checkout at no extra charge, although we did not end up using it.

The rooms had actual keys. It was the first hotel I had been in, in a long time where you were given keys.

Be aware that they put a $50 a night hold over you card that takes some time to clear back off again.

• Stayed September 2013, travelled with friends
1 Thank Buddytarns
Christchurch, New Zealand
Reviewed 25 November 2013

The location and the very reasonable rate was the reason I booked this hotel. It is such a perfect location, across the road from the ferry to Devonport, Waiheke Island and Farm Cove. It is a pleasant stroll along the Viaduct, to Wynyard Quarter where you are spoilt for choice with the many restaurants along the way. It is also a few minutes walk to Brittomart station and close to bus stops with a short trip to Mission Bay and St Heliers highly recommended. The hotel itself is a bit tired and in need of a renovation and re-fit and sound-proofing, however the staff were friendly and helpful and the view from the room with it's large windows was fabulous. We stayed during the week and had no problem with street noise. Would I stay here again - Yes, for the reasonable price, the great location and the harbour view.

Room Tip: Pay the bit extra for the harbour view - it is worth it!
  • Stayed October 2013, travelled with friends
1 Thank Raelyn33
New Zealand
Reviewed 25 November 2013

Recently stayed here for two nights and although the hotel is starting to show its age we found it very clean and tidy. It is definetly noisy at night but we discovered that the window is double glazed if you slide the window to the centre. We only found this out on the second night. Very friendly and speedy checkin and the front reception staff even found us a taxi back to airport for only $35. The views from the front are amazing and I believe all the rooms have a harbour view. Would not hesitate in staying again.

• Stayed November 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank davidNewZealand
Newcastle, Australia
Reviewed 24 November 2013

We were doing a cruise around NZ and this hotel is ideally suited to get on a ship that leaves from Auckland Harbour as you can walk to the wharf. We stayed at the hotel on a Saturday night and the noise from the street is terrible with revelers going until 4.00am. I assume this would be the same on any weekend but may not carry through to the week?. The hotel itself is needs a bit of renovation and the sound insulation is minimal.

Room Tip: check other Trip Advisor reviews for noise issues
  • Stayed November 2013, travelled as a couple