“Disappointing stay”

Ranked #53 of 67 Hotels in Auckland
Blenheim, Marlborough, New Zealand
“Disappointing stay”
Reviewed 8 June 2014

Overall I found this place not as I would expect for this hotel brand. The service was polite but not overly friendly, the bar closed fairly early, and the breakfast selection was mediocre. The whole place whilst comfortable and providing all the facilities needed, had no panache or flavour. It all seemed very bland and matter of fact. I especially did not appreciate having free WIFI only in the foyer and having to buy it if I chose to have access in my room.

Room Tip: Read the tips from others. I did and was ready to swap but luckily did not need to.
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled on business

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (287)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
Dunedin, New Zealand
Reviewed 5 June 2014

I have never complained about anything before but had to write this to warn others. Hotel was very dated and old and the noise at night from the bars nearby kept us awake most of the night. Toilet also made a weird noise about every 15 minutes. Staff were not friendly at all - not even a smile when we checked in. The worst part was when we went to the bar to get a drink and some bar snacks with our 7 year old son, lady who was behind the bar was unfriendly and made us feel very unwelcome. The food is so overpriced it is a joke we ordered the wedges with sour cream cheese and bacon, this came out to us with a dollop of sour cream and no bacon or cheese. My husband took to back and said it was not what he ordered he got told rudely that it is only a bar snack. The manager than came over to our table to say it just had a little bit of bacon on it!!! She obviously had better eyesight than us, no apology nothing. I ordered the dim sims/spring rolls etc for $19.50 - absolute rip off do not order these I got about 8 pieces they were straight from a box that you can get a 30 piece pack at the supermarket for about $8. Overall we were really unimpressed with our stay and will not be back.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank kazjosh

Travellers are raving about these Auckland hotels

Christchurch, New Zealand
Reviewed 5 June 2014

Very comfortable hotel , perfect location being right on the harbour. There are some great bars and restaurants just round the corner , Skycity is only 15min walk away. The room size was good , the bed large and very comfortable. The facilities was good , hairdryer and toiletries. A mini fridge but not stocked , that you had to ask for. The only down side was it was a little dated and could do with a bit of modernizing. Other than that , good value and perfect location.

Room Tip: all rooms are sea view which is great , bars nearby are noisy but its a city what do you expect!?
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
Edmonton, Canada
Reviewed 3 June 2014

Gave the place 4 stars because of its location (dead on the harbour) and price relative to surrounding options, and the rooms were clean and comfortable.

Having said that, the decor is seriously in need of updating. My bathroom sink was cracked and stained, the vinyl easy chairs had worn, cracked upholstery, and the feel was one of a late 1950's hotel.

The price for internet ($30) is pretty steep and has small data caps, but you can connect for free in the lobby for 20 minutes to grab/send mail.

Could be noisy, right on the harbourfront, but I was there mid-week and it wasn't too bad (or i was just jet-lagged).

This place obviously caters to groups of foreign tourists (mainly Asian based on signage) so they probably don't feel pressured to update.

So, value-wise a good deal if you don't plan to spend much time in the room.

Room Tip: all rooms face the water
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled solo
Reviewed 29 May 2014

You'd expect a hotel on Auckland's viaduct to be of a high standard, and the Copthorne Auckland Harbour City may have been when it was built many years ago. The hotel lobby is nice and modern, very misleading compared to the rooms which appear to have been furnished in the 80s and haven't been touched since.
Disappointment hit on opening the door to my room which smelt. There was a large burn on the carpet from an iron, the vinyl armchair was cracked and faded, and the bathroom had seen far better days.
The beds were of average comfort, but the walls proved thin and I could hear my neighbours arriving home drunk late at night. Not that it woke me - the double glazed windows did little to keep the street noise down.
If you do stay here, skip the buffet. You'll get a nicer breakfast at McDonalds. Also don't expect any room service - I rang at 10.30pm on a Friday to be told the kitchen was closed (despite there being an all night menu in the room guide). I never had a paper delivered to my room either, even though I diligently hung a request from the door every night.
The staff were all polite and friendly but the hotel itself is not up to par and is not what I would expect of the Copthorne brand. Time for some upgrades please!!
In saying this, the views across the harbour and viaduct are great, as is the location in central Auckland. If Copthorne stepped up their game I would stay again. As it is I'll be looking elsewhere.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled solo
1 Thank Bedsa
Reviewed 28 May 2014

Very outdated, on arrival they took a hundred dollar deposit off my credit card, which was not returned for a full 2 weeks, this was totally ridiculous (the only hotel i have stayed at which requires this kind of deposit, most hotels are happy just with the credit card details.). emailed them about this issue to which i received no return correspondence, had to call them overseas to speak to them at which time they told me that's just how it works and it will be released soon.
Totally unacceptable

Stayed May 2014, travelled solo
Christchurch, New Zealand
Reviewed 28 May 2014

After making our booking we read reviews on this Hotel & there were extremely negative comments, so I e-mailed the Hotel directly regarding our concerns. We were assured there would not be any issues I mentioned which I has seen in previous reviews. After staying 2 nights we feel the Hotel is very tired & well overdue renovation & should not have 4 stars. The pillows deffinitely need to be replaced as they were smelly & flat. However, our room was cleaned to a high standard which we would like to thank the cleaning staff for. The location was spot on & close to everything we wanted. Although we were on the 12th floor, the party goers out on the street from the viaduct kept us awake until after 4am. All of the staff we dealt with were extremely friendly & polite. Due to the possitives & the reasonable price per night we would stay again but would be happy to pay more if this Hotel was brought up to the 4 star standard which it should already be.

Room Tip: Ask for a room to 4 star quality which is clean & without the damage & negatives previously...
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple