“Good and not so good”

Ranked #53 of 67 Hotels in Auckland
Wellington, New Zealand
“Good and not so good”
Reviewed 10 August 2014

I didn't have the same overall reaction this time as last time and even thought of making this a two star review, but when I had a good think that would be unfair.

The good:
- Location for the price. Harbourview room on advance purchase for $136.

- That despite being an advance no refund sort of booking, I was able to change it online (from queen to twin due to change in plans) with no hassle or extra cost

- Winter breakfast deal for $15 each

The not so good:
- Somehow in winter, quite a cold day for Auckland in winter, the room was quite warm and we had trouble sleeping. So we tried the aircon which only blew warm air no matter what setting it was on (also it was fairly loud even on Low, and the temperature setting was in Farenheight only which was odd). So we opened the window which of course lets in some noise. Even with the window open I actually didn't get in the bed, sleeping on top of my one.

- Just 2 smallish lifts for what is not a small hotel. There are separate staff/goods lifts but really the 2 small ones for passengers don't cut it.

- Unable to fill a fairly small water bottle in the bathroom nor the kettle. This is not an uncommon issue at hotels but it we had to go to a new level of improvisation before using glasses to move water into the bottle and kettle.

In summary the biggest downside was the aircon not working and the biggest upside in this particular case was the ability easily change the room at no extra cost when the visit changed from being myself and my girlfriend to be mum & myself.

Stayed August 2014, travelled with family

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (287)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
Auckland
Reviewed 7 August 2014

I got it on a coupon deal for a great price.

When checking in, I asked for a room with a view - and what a view it was!

Then they said it was $24 for parking for night - Would be great if the coupon and/or the hotel had that info when booking!

The room was spacious, nice & clean & tidy.

Would definitely stay again.

Room Tip: The higher you go, the better the view...
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled solo
New York City, New York
Reviewed 7 August 2014

You can't beat the location of this hotel! Staff was very pleasant and helpful. If peace and quiet is something you are looking for this place may not be ideal for you. It is a livelier area of Auckland on some evenings and you can hear it in your room from time to time. It wasn't something I was concerned with. I always ask myself if I would stay at this hotel again and the answer is yes!

• Stayed July 2014, travelled solo
Sydney, Australia
Reviewed 5 August 2014

Location is great:, just two short blocks from Britomart, the downtown railway station for suburban and long-distance trains, and diagonally opposite the harbour ferry terminal, and at the northern end of the CBD.

Having stayed here before, I expected and again received a very comfortable hotel with courteous and pleasant staff. Most rooms have a view over Waitemata Harbour, and the windows are double-glazed for quietness.

For the first time, I availed myself of the $15.00 buffet breakfast, with the usual selection of fruits, cereals, bakery items, cooked items and beverages. This was tasty and excellent value for money.

As positive criticism, I would prefer in this day and age to have wi-fi included in the price rather than as a pricey extra. 30-mins per day is free-of-charge, but only in the lobby.

Room Tip: Simply ask for a harbour view.
  • Stayed August 2014, travelled solo
3 Thank ChrisatSydney
Greater Wellington, New Zealand
Reviewed 4 August 2014

The corner family-room was big enough for all of us. The Receptionist on check-in advised us why they have arranged this room for us- as it is noise-free from the road and other neighbours.This is absolutely true. Good on you girl (sorry, cannot mention name) We had early check-in and the staff were helpful and friendly. We stayed for 2 nights and the room was serviced well by Maintenance staff. The AIR-CON was not great as the weather turned pretty warm during this wintry season. VIEWS from our room over the wharf was great. The HOTEL being close to many attractions in the CBD namely, Sky-Tower, Brittomart, Wharf, Cafes, Shopping Malls, Banks, is awesome. Ideal for families with children!!! Nice and safe to go for a long walk along the wharf on Quay St. Who cares if the rooms are TIRED. Clean and comfortable rooms is all that matters!!!

Room Tip: Corner suites are large and better
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled with family
Nelson, New Zealand
Reviewed 28 July 2014

The only real positive thing to say about this hotel is its convenient central location. We were referred to this property through the conference my wife was attending. We decided to fly up a couple of days early to enjoy the city over the weekend prior to her conference. The booking was made via the conference connection, so the hotel knew we were a part of the conference and were staying there as part of a business trip. Our total stay was 4 nights.

The room we were given was extremely tired, and obviously in the oldest part of the hotel. There was only one usable power outlet in the whole room, and that one was very difficult to reach and across the room from the desk -- making it virtually impossible to charge/use any electronic devices.

The room faced onto Quay street, which can get noisy at night. The extra sliding windows installed was reasonably effective at blocking out street sounds, but the rooms ventilation system (required if the windows were closed) was so incredibly loud it kept us up most of the night. We thought that Sunday night might be better (less noise on Quay than a Sat night), allowing us to sleep with the window open, but that wasn't to be.

After two terrible nights with little rest I went to speak with the duty manager first thing on Monday morning, who (to his credit) switched our room. Interestingly enough that second room was actually set up for a business traveler's use, with a useable desk with multiple power/ethernet outlets, and not looking nearly as tired, and with the quiet ventilation system one could reasonably expect. Essentially the room we should have received from the start.

The other "buyer beware" thing to know is regarding wi-fi use. Unfortunately this hotel, as many others in New Zealand, still see internet as another potential source of revenue and not a "value added" benefit as most other parts of the world. I had planned to do work (my business is largely internet based) from the hotel room during the 5 total days of our stay. I won't go into details, but despite conversations with hotel management, my bill for basic internet use during our stay ended up costing $125 ($25/day). (I wasn't about to cart all my business notes and laptop to a local coffee shop or McDonald's (who offer free wifi to anyone off the street, never mind someone paying to stay there 4 nights) so I could set up a mobile office just to get free wifi).

I take responsibility for not having checked here on TripAdvisor sooner, which I would ordinarily have done. However we trusted the recommendation of the conference (a big mistake).

While we have occasion to travel to Auckland periodically, rest assured that this is a property we will never visit again.

Room Tip: If you do end up staying here, insist on inspecting your room before accepting it.
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled on business

Travellers are raving about these Auckland hotels

Feilding, New Zealand
Reviewed 27 July 2014

The Copthorne represents excellent value for the Auckland CBD. Located on the waterfront, the views over Auckland harbour are spectacular. It's handy for downtown business meetings and is close enough to the motorway junctions. Vector Arena is a short walk away, and the Britomart train station (if one is heading for a match at Eden Park) is even closer.

Yes, the rooms are a little tired but present good value. The windows have retro-fitted double glazing, which helps to keep the noise level down. The bed was comfortable and I had a good night's sleep.

No qualms about returning.

Room Tip: The higher the better.
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled on business