“Can I Please Get Some Sleep”

and 1 more site!
Copthorne Hotel Auckland HarbourCity
Ranked #51 of 66 Hotels in Auckland Central
Reviewed 28 January 2011

The Copthorne must be the most over-priced hotel in Auckland City. The room are old and tired and noisy. The walls are paper thin and I was kept up until the early hours of the morning listening to the conversation of the people in the next room. Also there is a lot of road noise. I couldn't find the air conditioning panel in the room - it must have been controlled elsewhere and the room was far to hot - couldn't leave the window open as too noisy! Wifi access was ridiculously expensive - they tried to charge my $29 for 1 day!!!
I stay in Auckland regularly and almost any other hotel would represent better value for money.

• Stayed: January 2011, travelled on business
There are newer reviews for Copthorne Hotel Auckland HarbourCity

Reviewed 22 January 2011

We chose this hotel because we wanted a harbour view and it was handy to our cruise ship. The view is great and somewhat made up for an adequate but dated room. However, the noise was a killer. The aircon sounded like an aircraft about to take off so we tried sleeping with the window open. That was hopeless as the traffic, together with the neighborhood bars emptying around 2 am, meant little sleep was possible. The second night we slept with our bedroom door to the corridor open. We were surprised to be confronted with steps in the main foyer which meant handling of suitcases was difficult. The breakfast buffet was okay but we were very pleased we hadn't paid the advertised rate for this.

• Stayed: January 2011, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 18 January 2011

The hotel is very dated, I booked a superior harbour view room

The bathroom had not been updated since the seventies, I contacted reception and asked if they had given me a superior room and they claimed it was a superior room.

Items were missing from the mini bar as it obviously hadn't been replenished from the previous guests, no wine glasses, one coffee MUG, I contacted reception again and asked them to rectify the missing items and ensure I wasn't charged for them. Unfortunately I had prebooked and paid for 4 nights.

The toiletries were not replenished each day, on the second day more items were "missing" from the mini bar that we had not used. I called reception and asked them to rectify yet again. The room was cleaned to a very low standard, I placed a piece of tissue on the floor in the bathroom just to see if it would be picked up and it wasn't moved for our 4 day stay. The room had not been cleaned by 3.30 pm on our last day.
After a long day trip we decided to risk a meal in the restaurant which was very odd. I ordered a salmon dish which should have been served with a side dish of creamed spinach, and my husband had ordered a side serve of salad . They served our main meal and no side dishes we didn't see the same waiter again so we asked another waiter and he went off to find our side dishes, no luck we didn't see him again, we then asked a waitress and she brought out the dise dishes but - yes you've guessed we had finished our meal by then.

• Stayed: November 2010, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 16 January 2011

Booked over the internet and arrived on the evening of the 01 Jan until 03 Jan 2011. Welcomed at front counter and was expected on their computer system. Room 806 was clean, neat and tidy with a view over the harbour. Buffet breakfast at the hotel was what I would expect. Staff friendly. Great place to stay if you are catching a cruise ship as you only have to walk across the road. Westfield shopping centre easy walking distance. Subway (fast foods) across the road. McDonald’s in Westfield and also in Queen Street. Burger King (Hungry Jack’s) in Queen Street. Close to everything. Only negative thing was the couple of steps you need to climb with bags and suitcases to get to the lifts after you have checked in. Use the Airbus Express shuttle bus to get from the airport. It drops you in Queen Street (last stop) and is only a block away from the hotel. Would stay there again.

• Stayed: January 2011, travelled with family
Reviewed 7 January 2011

All rooms really overlook the harbor... you can walk the viaduct and enjoy the atmosphere.
Amazing location a few minutes from everything.

Rooms are ok. bathroom needs a lot of improvement. Lifts are shaky :)

The staff are very friendly and helpful. Room service is super efficient.

• Stayed: January 2011, travelled with family
Reviewed 6 January 2011

My Husband and I have just returned from staying at this hotel. It was ideal in that we had just come off a cruise ship and it is situated accross the road from Princes Wharf so we could walk to the hotel.
Staff are friendly and helpful. Our Room had a great view of the Harbour. The windows are double glazed so the street noise is minimal. Its in a great location close to restaurants and shops.
The Room was rather tired looking and the bathroom tiles weren't very clean I'd say they are old and in need of replacement..
We had Dinner and Breakfast at the Restaurant and the food was good.
I would recommend this hotel if you had just come off a cruise and wanted to stay a couple of nights in Auckland.

• Stayed: January 2011, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 1 January 2011

We arrived at approx 9.15am Mon 20th Dec and the receptionist who booked us in had a sullen manner and wasn't particularly welcoming we thought .We found the steps to get our luggage to the lifts a bit daunting and so did the other 2 people who checked in at the same time as us. We stayed here for 2 days as we were going cruising on the Pacific Pearl, the restaurant staff were very pleasant and helpful and so was the young guy down on the door he was great. The rooms could do with a bit of a facelift and the air con didn't work properly, but hey on the whole the place was in a great location handy to everything.

• Stayed: December 2010, travelled with family