“First-class service - consistently”
Review of Heritage Auckland

Heritage Auckland
Ranked #9 of 67 Hotels in Auckland
Thames, New Zealand
“First-class service - consistently”
Reviewed 18 February 2012

I've stayed at the Heritage Auckland several times and it never disappoints. The staff's attention to detail and desire to provide optimal service is what sets this hotel apart. Many of the staff have been there for years - which speaks volumes of the owners and management. Rooms are well-appointed and bathrooms feature superior toiletries. The location is excellent, with easy access to the motorway. Guest rooms are quiet, regardless of their location in the complex. It's the consistently excellent service and warm welcome that keeps me returning to the Heritage Auckland.

• Stayed February 2012, travelled on business

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (488)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Thai first
Auckland Region, New Zealand
Reviewed 18 February 2012

We stayed at the Heritage for 4 nights from 14th February. On the positive side the staff were very friendly and helpful, the hotel is clean although looking a little tired in places. When we arrived we were surprised to find that the roof top pool was closed. This was not mentioned on the hotel website although when we read the reviews before booking we read that this pool had been closed for refurbishment and was due to reopen in January. Throughout our stay the pool was wrapped in shrinkwrap and there was no sign of any work taking place to get it back into order. So it could be a long time before this pool - which incidently, the hotel advertises as one of its main features- is back in business. Personally, I really dislike it when a hotel lies by omission - and lets you book thinking that a major summer facility is available, when it is not. .Also the hotel did not make clear before we arrived that the free internet availability in the lobby is limited to 30 minutes or 50 megabites - a very mean allowance in my opinion. Any extra you have to pay for and its not cheap.

• Stayed February 2012, travelled as a couple
GM_HeritageAuckland, General Manager at Heritage Auckland, responded to this review, 19 February 2012
Dear Mr Agnoli-
Thank you for taking time to give us your feedback. I apologise for the lack of information provided to you at check in. We have rechecked all of our 3rd party websites today and I can assure you the pool closure is listed prominently on all of them. I am happy that you were pleased with the level of service you received from our staff. We hope you enjoy the rest of your trip in New Zealand,

Kind Regards,

Coleford, United Kingdom
Reviewed 15 February 2012

Parking in Auckland is horrendous so do use their friendly and efficient valet parking. The hotel is impressive for a city centre with high levels of service - the best front desk we experienced in NZ. We enjoyed an upgrade and had a smashing suite, large enough to invite a couple of dozen people to party in. We didn't. We were disappointed that the swimming pool was out of action - something we experienced several more times as we travelled around. This was our first hotel in NZ and we weren't disappointed.

Tauranga
Reviewed 14 February 2012

This is an hotel with outstanding service, helpful staff,comfortable beds and a very good restaurant. We were made welcome from the moment we arrived and we had a very happy and memorable 41st wedding anniversary. Thank you everone. Without a doubt we will return.

• Stayed February 2012, travelled as a couple
ireland
Reviewed 12 February 2012

We stayed here twice in Jan this year - once at the beginning of our holiday for two days and on the last night. We'd booked through trailfinders and got an upgrade to a delux suite on our first stay as we'd booked for 2 nights. I was a bit apprehensive when I'd read some of the reviews but I needn't have worried. The welcome was ok the first occasion and our cases were ferried to our room which was first class. Our room was an inside one with window onto the restaurant beneath. When we left we had to collect our hired car and there was no problem leaving our luggage in the lobby till we returned. Our second visit(Feb.2nd) we had a standard room again with a view down to the restaurant. It too was ok but we had to ask for a missing hairdrier which was delivered and the kettle was missing too - we didn't ask for this as we didn't need it. Our welcome the second time was fantastic. We had dinner in the hotel that night and it was very good - one of the best we had during our trip. The waiting staff were great as were all the staff. We had no problem leaving our luggage -our flight home wasn't until midnight!! When we were leaving the shuttle bus was ordered for us and an eye kept to see when it arrived. I was very happy with our stay and would certainly request to stay again should we return.

Denver
Reviewed 8 February 2012

Although I did cancel my reservation I felt obliged to write a short review. The front desk personnel were unhelpful, unprofessional and uninformed.
One of my concerns that I addressed was about the hefty charges listed for internet access. I inquired about the internet costs (which are charged based on the amount of data used) and the answer I was given was a blank stare. I later learned from another hotel employee that a half hour of skyping could cost you around $25. Forget about using internet in the lobby. You get free access for only 30 minutes and you get marginal bandwidth.....so I was informed.
In addition they were having issues finding me reservation. (This was after I spelled my surname 4 times to a reservation specialist at the time of booking).
The hotel lobby and reception appeared outdated.
Given these issues I opted to cancel my room reservation and opted for the fine hotel a block away.

Room Tip: Get a complete understanding of the hotels internet charges to avoid unpleasant surprises at check...
  • Stayed February 2012, travelled solo
4 Thank dwarly
GM_HeritageAuckland, General Manager at Heritage Auckland, responded to this review, 8 February 2012
Dear dwarly<
Thank you for your posting: I have reviewed your concerns and provide the following feedback for readers to understand what did happen at time of check in:
DWarly from the USA enquired about the internet charges, Manager on Duty dealt with her at the time.
As per the traces on the booking, dWarly called the day before to arrange for an early check in , which was all done and her room was clean and ready to go when she arrived at about 9am at no early check in fee

When she arrived, she was greeted by Guest Service Agent who welcomed her and asked her for her name. She was very out of breath and because of her accent, she was hard to understand. She also asked question after question, so GSA did get slightly confused when he tried to look up the reservation.
dWarly did ask about the internet charges and GSA gave her the information slip that we have available at reception for clearer understanding. dWarly had to wait for one or two minutes since all reception staff were with guests at the time. Manager on Duty then dealt with her. She was frustrated but he explained everything to her, the internet charges and MB limits in the room as well as the FOC half hour/ 30MB internet access in the lobby.
At no point did Manager on Duty provide dWarly with uninformed or unprofessional service. dWarly then decided to cancel the booking because the internet was too expensive and she was planning on spending most of her time on Skype. Manager on Duty explained to her that this will use up a lot of MB usage.
DWarly then asked for other hotel in the area. She wanted to call the Westin but was informed by Neil that the Westin has closed down and has been renamed to Hotel Lighter Quay, Dwarly did not believe him and insisted that he double-check. He then showed her the details on the internet.

The booking with us was cancelled without any cancellation fee.
I do apologize if we did not meet your expectatiopn but do consider that all steps to meet your needs were undertaken and that the cost of Internet was the key reason for your disappointment.
Auckland
Reviewed 1 February 2012

Stayed at the Heritage Hotel with my partner for two nights in January 2012. We have stayed in hotels all around the world but found the Heritage Hotel staff to be the most unhelpful we have ever come across.

First off when we check in to the hotel the staff behind the counter did not tell us anything about the hotel ie. what time breakfast is served, where our room is, that the pool was closed etc. They asked us if we had a car to park and when we told them yes they said it will be $35 to valet. When asked how much the car park next door cost the lady had no idea. I am pretty sure I have not been the first person to ask this question. We agreed to valet it as the $35 will allow us to come and go as we please.

Breakfast was included in the room but we kept on been given a bill for our breakfast. When ordering room service we were told that we are unable to charge it to the room and had to go down to the lobby to pay for it. A bit backward I think. When checking out they informed us that the valet parking was $70, $35 a night! This was never mentioned in check-in so I argued that I would only pay for 1 night which they agreed. Then tried to charge us for alcohol which we never drank. Also while checking out we saw a guest pushing the bag trolley while no less than 5 conceirge sat around watching.

The food was great and the room was nice at this place and location is great to walk down to the Waterfront and enjoy Auckland, but I would not recommend staying here due to the terrible customer service. We have stayed at the Langham in Auckland before and will be returning there from now on.

1 Thank Ash N
GM_HeritageAuckland, General Manager at Heritage Auckland, responded to this review, 7 February 2012
Thank you for your feedback, while I am disappointed with how we have managed your stay with us, I can assure you that the points you have raised have been shared with our team as we work very hard on ensuring each guest experience is memorable and worthy of return to our fantastic hotel. I would welcome an opportunity to discuss further your feedback and look at ways to improve your view of our experience to a point where we can welcome you back to Heritage Auckland.