“Great location”

Ranked #8 of 67 Hotels in Auckland
Sydney
“Great location”
Reviewed 4 October 2012

Really lovely hotel in a famous old landmark building. The rooms are spacious, the staff are really lovely, particularly the concierge.
The food in the restaurant is outstanding and the service is great.
I find it hard to believe the cost for the internet... and there is not a lot of alternatives in NZ. We paid the internet, parking and breakfast "special" which really hiked up the room rate. I guess we could have parked down the road for less than half the price... the breakfast was expensive compared to other hotels and the internet, well, I guess that is what happens when you have a population of just over 3 million. All in all a lovely hotel

• Stayed October 2012, travelled on business
1 Thank missy88sydney

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (483)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Thai first
Auckland Region, New Zealand
Reviewed 3 October 2012

Stayed overnight. Good and attentive service, reasonable size room, comfortable bed, nice buffet breakfast. However the decor, furniture and bathroom facilities require update. The towels in the bathroom washed out, soft furnishing and carpets are tired and wore off. Overall experience is above average, however not very good.

• Stayed October 2012, travelled as a couple
James B, Manager at Heritage Auckland, responded to this review, 8 October 2012
Dear TetaTet,

Firstly thank you for taking the time to pass on your feedback following your recent stay with us. I was happy to see that the service you experienced was to your liking and I was disappointed to learn that the towelling in your room was not up to our required standard. I will look into this and I appreciate your comments in relation to the decor, furniture and bathroom facilities.

Perhaps if you had a moment, and I would sincerely appreciate it if you could take the time to email me the specific aspects of these key items that you consider were tired. My email address is jamesb@heritagehotels.co.nz. Thank you for your time and consideration, I do hope you will choose to stay with us in the future,

Reviewed 3 October 2012

I have stayed at the Heritage Hotel many times over the last few years, but the most recent experience I had was fantastic. The staff are always very courteous and the facilities are great and it was no different this time. The main improvement in my recent stay was the mattress in my room. It was the most comfortable night's sleep I think I have ever had in a hotel anywhere in the world. Apparently all the mattresses have recently been replaced, and it just makes such a huge difference when you're away from home. There have also been a number of other upgrades to decor completed as well. All in all, I love coming to stay at the Heritage - I wouldn't choose anywhere else!

• Stayed September 2012, travelled solo
NZ
Reviewed 29 September 2012

This hotel is in a great location in the heart of the city.
Check in was quick, only to be told I was in the Tower over the other side of the hotel. A maze of paths leads you there, past the tennis court and outdoor chess set.
The room is a good size, but the bathroom is dated, and the pressure in the shower was terrible!! On letting the staff know during checkout the response was "oh yes, we get a few complaints about that". Maybe something should be done to fix it!!!!
The restaurant was nice, a good selection of meals and wines to choose from.
Will likely be back...

• Stayed August 2012, travelled on business
James B, Manager at Heritage Auckland, responded to this review, 2 October 2012
Hi NZTraveller,

Thank you very much for your kind feedback. I have followed up with the team in relation to your concerns over the shower pressure, I was disappointed to learn of the response you received from our team, as usually we get more positive comments around this issue. Please do feel free to contact me directly for your future bookings, my email address is jamesb@heritagehotels.co.nz.

Derbyshire, United Kingdom
Reviewed 27 September 2012 via mobile

Had Christmas here! The service was great, staff were very helpful and polite!

Food was awesome! Really enjoyed our lunch! Would definitely go back!

Was very clean and tidy! Five *****!!!

Only bad point is that parking is scarce (unless you valet park)

• Stayed December 2011
Sydney, Australia
Reviewed 24 September 2012

My husband, me and our 3 yo daughter stayed for 2 night at Tower Deluxe Suite of Heritage Auckland early September 2012 and have had a great experience.
From booking to the time we checked out, everything was great.

We booked the Tower Deluxe Suite as it comes with a in-room laundry and the room was big enough that we can have a fold-up bed in it without feeling cramp at all.
It didnt have a balcony but it is a corner room so as the result, we have plenty of natural light into the room which was fantastic.

It's advertised as a suite however, in real life, it feels more like a studio apartment. There is a good size living room and a dining table. The kitchen is not big but definitely sufficient if you would like to cook a meal.

We needed to check-in early as my husband need to change clothes for work. While we were told that it was not possible; Reception lent my husband a swipe card so that he can change at the pool bathroom and we could leave our luggage with them until check-in time.
When we came back to check-in; our luggage were already in our room and they got the keys ready for us.
They even remembered that my husband will be coming back late that night and therefore, provided an extra key for him when he returned.

The valet service was fantastic and make it so much easier than having to go round the block to find parking. If you compared prices, it is actually cheaper than parking anywhere else anyway.

We didnt have breakfast in the hotel but we did have a quick drink at the bar and again, nothing was too hard when it comes to service.

If there is any negative that I have to mention, the TV in the bedroom didnt work and it was unplugged and not connected to anything. So not sure if it wasnt working anyway and they just dont want guest to use it.

Location is a tad far and on the hilly side but at least, it's good tightening up the leg muscle.

However, it is a great hotel and I totally recommend this hotel for everyone...(family, couples, singles or business traveller).
We will definitely be back everytime we go back to Auckland.

For the team at the hotel, thank you for a great stay!
Keep up the good work.

• Stayed September 2012, travelled with family
James B, Manager at Heritage Auckland, responded to this review, 2 October 2012
Hi Lynx P

Thank you very much for your kind feedback. The team were thrilled to read it online for themselves. Please do feel free to contact me if you require any further assistance with future bookings,

Auckland Region, New Zealand
Reviewed 24 September 2012

First off this hotel is GREAT.

We have now stayed in both CityLife and the Heritage. My partner and I stayed here in April for our first anniversary.

But the biggest problem we had was the room location. We were in an Atrium view room. This means the room looks out in to the Atrium inside and has no outside view or a window you can open. So there is no fresh air or view out the "window". And because there is no window to the outside, there is also no light. So the whole room and bedroom is dark 24/7 apart from switching on lights. - No sunlight or natural lighting. This is the biggest downfall and our only fault. So please request a room outside facing.

This hotel is a bit older and has been renovated nicely. The room was great with a wardrobe and safe. Nice big bed and a desk.

Bathroom was lovely with a big basin and mirror with a separate shower and bath.

Lounge was avergage, small tv and hard couches. Kitchen was very basic and a little run down but plenty of utensils to cover the basics.

Staff were lovely and always helpful.

Our best part of the trip was the buffet! Definitely the best buffet we have ever had. It has anything you could ever want. Such a delight.

Overall CityLife was a better experience for us and modern. But the Heritage was special, we just got unlucky with the dark internal room.

Room Tip: The biggest problem we had was the room location. We were in an Atrium view room. This means the roo...