“A classic very good old hotel”
Review of Heritage Auckland

Ranked #10 of 67 Hotels in Auckland Central
Reviewed 25 January 2014

This is the second time we stay here. It is a great hotel in a great location. The in room kitchenette is well equipped. The Sky Tower is a two min walk away and the marina a 10 min walk away. The rooms as such are spacious. The roof swimming pool is a great bonus.

Room Tip: Try to get a room in the old wing, a bit cosier
  • Stayed: January 2014, travelled with family
1  Thank LG4KL
GM_HeritageAuckland, General Manager at Heritage Auckland, responded to this reviewResponded 27 January 2014

Dear LG4KL,
Thank you for sharing with our readers the fantastic feedback relating to your recent stay with us at Heritage Auckland. As a senior contributor my team are extremely proud that "The Heritage Experience" has exceeded your expectations in every way. We were honored to serve you again and would look forward to hosting you again sometime very soon.

There are newer reviews for Heritage Auckland

Reviewed 23 January 2014

We only stayed a night. The general impression was that the hotel was past its prime. The check in service was efficient. Our room was fairly spacious (with an awful view), but what caught my eye was the mis-matched decor. There was evidence of beautiful classy, classic design from a bygone era; with marble edging and some beautiful pieces of carved wooden furniture. But it was clear that all additional furniture and renovation was done with a cheap and nasty budget. Although, the beds were quite soft. The microwave and stove top looked at least 12 years old. there were scuff marks all over the walls, paint peeling and the shower/bath was very worn and unattractive. The place is also a maze to navigate.
The restaurant was impressive looking but I was disappointed with its poor service and tiny portion sizes. The waiters didn't clear dirty plates/cups, they were inattentive and couldn't manage to let us pay for breakfast by card after we had checked out... bizarre.
Generally the staff and the atmosphere was uninspiring. For that price ($190) I expected an exceptional experience. I was just awkward.

• Stayed: January 2014, travelled as a couple
2  Thank adwight

Dear adwight,
Thank you for sharing with our readers feedback relating to your recent stay at Heritage Auckland. In reading your review we have not exceeded your expectations which is extremely disappointing. We receive positive feedback every day which is fantastic but when we see we have not which is the case with your stay with us we do spend quite sometime looking into how we could best change what has happened during your experience with us. The building will celebrate 100 years in operation this year and we do continue to work on refurbishment programme to keep the charm of our historic building reflective in our decor plans. I do hope that in sometime to come you will visit our fantastic hotel to see how we continue to improve our guest experience.

Reviewed 23 January 2014 via mobile

Stayed here in Jan 2014. Really liked the hotel found it very clean with good facilities. Food in the Restuarant was all very good and if you want to venture out of the hotel you'll find plenty of good places to eat in walking distance. I also found all the staff very helpful. I spoke with Richard on the concierge desk in the tower wing many times and found his advice very useful. I can't fault any of the staff. All of them were very friendly and helpful. I would highly recommend looking at this hotel as an option if you're staying in Central Auckland.

From a Happy English Customer

Stayed: January 2014
1  Thank AidyK1975

Dear AidyK1975,
Thank you very much for sharing with our readers comments relating to your recent stay with us at Heritage Auckland. My team and I are delighted to read that we have exceeded your expectations through out your time with us. We were extremely proud to serve you and do look forward to hosting you again sometime very soon.

Reviewed 21 January 2014

We had a great stay at this hotel, centrally located, good gym with a wonderful view on the roof. Hot tub and pool were also on the roof open to the view. Only negative comment is that 2 chairs in the room would have been welcome.

Stayed: January 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank patriciamarkwick

Dear patricamarkwick,
Thank you for sharing the great feedback relating to your recent stay at Heritage Auckland. My team and I are delighted we have exceeded your expectations and have noted your comments about chairs in the room. We do hope that you have enjoyed the rest of your time in New Zealand and would be honored to host you again sometime very soon.

Reviewed 21 January 2014

Ideal for Auckland central break away from home. Walking distance to most attractions, staff exceptionally friendly and attentive. We had a corner room with windows on 2 sides which made it bright and sunny - loved it! Go to Federal St deli near Sky City for your lunch, you won't be disappointed.

Room Tip: Corner Suite
  • Stayed: November 2013, travelled as a couple

Dear Carol K,
Thank you for sharing with our readers the wonderful comments relating to your recent stay at Heritage Auckland. My team and I are very pleased "The Heritage Experience" has exceeded your expectations and we do look forward to hosting you again sometime very soon.

Reviewed 19 January 2014

My partner and I enjoyed a lovely two night stay here. We were here for the Big Day Out and appreciated the proximity of this hotel to local facilities especially Britomart.

The check in staff were friendly and we were impressed with our room. We stayed in a one bedroom room which was huge especially the bathroom. The kitchen did not have a microwave so this could be something to take into account if you are planning on cooking in your room.

This hotel has amazing facilities, however, I have two recommendations to make. The signage in this hotel is TERRIBLE. We wanted to go to the health club which was the roof top pool, spa and gym. We were staying in room 454 and thought this was great as the health club was apparently accessible from level 4. We followed the signs to the health club winding ourselves round the corridors here. We had recently watched the movie "The Shining" and both remarked that the corridors reminded us of this movie. We reached the last sign and were confronted by a lift and an emergency exit. The lift had a sign which DID NOT include the health club. Another hotel guest (who did not speak English) was also looking for the health club. I confidently lead her out to the emergency exit as I thought that would be where the health club would be located. I was wrong and we got locked out. We had to go down to reception to seek help.

At reception I spoke to the conceirge working that evening and was shocked by how unhelpful he was. He gave us vague instructions and would not provide us with a map of the hotel (a sketch on the back of a napkin would have come in handy). Eventually we found the health club. You have to go into the lift even though the lift sign does not list the health club.

This debacle was worth it as the health club is excellent with a huge rooftop pool and spa. There was also gym facilities and showers there to. I think they also have a bar up there to. There were heaps of sun loungers and I imagine that this would be a popular spot during the day.

We also wanted to go to the indoor pool and spa. Luckily a person who lived at the hotel was able to provide instructions on how to get there. I was also impressed with the indoor facilities which also included a sauna and gym. The indoor pool is more of a lap pool and would be suited for exercise. This hotel also has a huge tennis court.

Overall we had a pleasant stay despite getting lost. Our room was comfortable and quiet. I will definitely be staying here in the future now that I know my way around.

• Stayed: January 2014, travelled as a couple
GM_HeritageAuckland, General Manager at Heritage Auckland, responded to this reviewResponded 21 January 2014

Dear OliviaM,
Thank you for sharing with our readers comments relating to your recent stay with us at Heritage Auckland. My team and I are delighted we exceeded your expectations on comfort and relaxation. I have noted your comments regarding signage and we have spent sometime this week having a re look at this point you have raised as we do have to remember we walk this area every day and our focus has to be, each day is a new day with new guest being welcomed to our experience. I would hope that we will have this updated over the next month or so.
Thank you again for sharing your thoughts as I always respect all feedback that helps us improve all elements of our guest experience.
We do look forward to hosting you again sometime very soon.

Reviewed 16 January 2014

My wife and I took the opportunity to stay at the Heritage over the Christmas period. What a great decision. Based upon the idea that most Aucklanders would vacate the city and the occupancy would be low was confused somewhat with many of the ASB tennis competitors staying there, a truly delightful bunch. I cannot compliment the staff too much. The cleanliness and friendliness of the room servicing staff, always cheerful, the restaurant staff with their friendliness and the front of house staff were professional to a standard I have seldom experienced overseas. Located as it is on the one way system 5 minutes to the zoo, Chamberlain Park golf course and Takapuna by car or 5 minute walk to Library Art Gallery Viaduct, Brittamart etc. The highlight was perhaps the roof top pool open on New Years eve for the Sky city fireworks. What an experience! The clincher included in our package complimentary breakfasts and car parking. The breakfasts were superb!!! Going back? Watch this space.

Room Tip: Views over the harbour were much appreciated
  • Stayed: December 2013, travelled with family

Dear Tom P,
Thank you very much for sharing with our readers the wonderful comments relating to your recent stay at Heritage Auckland. My team and I are delighted "The Heritage Experience" has exceeded your expectations and we do look forward to meeting you again during your next stay with us when we will be honored to serve you with pride.