“A great mini-break!”
Review of Heritage Auckland

Ranked #11 of 66 Hotels in Auckland Central
Reviewed 31 January 2014

What a great hotel! I read many of the negative reviews and could see how important it is to stay in the Tower wing, which is the newer, modern side. I requested a high floor with Harbour views, which is imperative. The lower floor rooms have no views at all, other than the next door building, which is fine if you don't care to look out a window. Also, street noise can be an issue, so a higher floor helps with that. Some people that left reviews liked the atrium rooms, which would be very quiet, but have no views at all. Our executive 1 bedroom suite in the Tower Wing was on the 11th floor with sweeping views of Auckland Harbour. The decor was modern and lovely. The kitchen and bath were nicely appointed with granite bench-tops and were very clean. My friend really enjoyed the large bathtub. The beds were very comfortable. My friend had the queen bed in the bedroom and I slept on a roll-away in the lounge, which I was worried about at first as I have back issue. I slept like a log!! I was amazed at how well I slept. Now about the breakfast......I'm a vegetarian and the raw foods bar at the breakfast buffet was incredible! I loved, loved, loved it! I even took a picture of it and posted it on Facebook! My carnivore friend loved the buffet as well, especially the Eggs Benedict. I would definitely recommend getting the package that includes breakfast, parking and internet, if you need the parking and wifi.

Room Tip: High floor in Tower Wing with Harbour views.
  • Stayed: January 2014, travelled with friends
2  Thank ijoymama
GM_HeritageAuckland, General Manager at Heritage Auckland, responded to this reviewResponded 6 February 2014

Dear ijoymama,
Thank you for sharing with our readers the wonderful comments relating to your recent stay at Heritage Auckland. My team and I are extremely pleased 'The Heritage Experience" has exceeded your expectations including our popular "Raw Bar" breakfast offer and our focus on healthy eating habits.
We do look forward to hosting you again sometime very soon.

Reviewed 31 January 2014

Great location on Hobson Street within easy walk of Queen Street and the viaduct.

The young guy who greeted us was great. He sorted the car and got our bags into reception and then up to the room.The guy on reception who booked us in was a little rude as I wanted to use my debit card rather than my credit card. I fully expected for them to take a bond against use of the mini bar. But he also seemed intent on informing me that they would need to check the room in person when we checked out! perhaps it was my mask, stripy jumper and bag marked "swag" that raised his suspicion?

The room was brilliant and huge for a city centre hotel. There were two queen sized beds with a sliding partition between the two. A pretty full kitchen area too.

The hotel had quite a lot of character with some nice wood flooring and high standard décor.

On check out there was no room inspection and my bond was refunded to my debit card without the need for a full body search!

We did not let the officious receptionist affect out stay too much. Lighten up guy!

Dear Richard L,
Thank you for sharing with our readers comments relating to your recent stay with us at Heritage Auckland. I understand the message you are trying to convey through this post about our "Cash" guest policy which has been under review and while trying to soften the delivery the intent of the regretfully will not change. It comes down to training my team to ensure we are better at this message delivery. I am very pleased on the whole that you did enjoy your stay with us and we do look forward to hosting you again sometime very soon.

Reviewed 31 January 2014

Had 3 nights in this hotel whilst in New Zealand. Good location and walkable to Queen Street, The Viaduct etc. Lovely large quiet room, restaurant looked lovely although we only had the breakfast buffet once when we were there. Nice little rooftop pool.

Dear DaveyJA,
Thank you very much for sharing with our readers the excellent feedback relating to your recent stay at Heritage Auckland. My team and I are proud that "The Heritage Experience" has exceeded your expectations and do hope that you have enjoyed the rest of your stay in New Zealand. We would be honored to host you again sometime very soon.

Reviewed 25 January 2014

This is the second time we stay here. It is a great hotel in a great location. The in room kitchenette is well equipped. The Sky Tower is a two min walk away and the marina a 10 min walk away. The rooms as such are spacious. The roof swimming pool is a great bonus.

Room Tip: Try to get a room in the old wing, a bit cosier
  • Stayed: January 2014, travelled with family
1  Thank LG4KL
GM_HeritageAuckland, General Manager at Heritage Auckland, responded to this reviewResponded 27 January 2014

Dear LG4KL,
Thank you for sharing with our readers the fantastic feedback relating to your recent stay with us at Heritage Auckland. As a senior contributor my team are extremely proud that "The Heritage Experience" has exceeded your expectations in every way. We were honored to serve you again and would look forward to hosting you again sometime very soon.

Reviewed 23 January 2014

We only stayed a night. The general impression was that the hotel was past its prime. The check in service was efficient. Our room was fairly spacious (with an awful view), but what caught my eye was the mis-matched decor. There was evidence of beautiful classy, classic design from a bygone era; with marble edging and some beautiful pieces of carved wooden furniture. But it was clear that all additional furniture and renovation was done with a cheap and nasty budget. Although, the beds were quite soft. The microwave and stove top looked at least 12 years old. there were scuff marks all over the walls, paint peeling and the shower/bath was very worn and unattractive. The place is also a maze to navigate.
The restaurant was impressive looking but I was disappointed with its poor service and tiny portion sizes. The waiters didn't clear dirty plates/cups, they were inattentive and couldn't manage to let us pay for breakfast by card after we had checked out... bizarre.
Generally the staff and the atmosphere was uninspiring. For that price ($190) I expected an exceptional experience. I was just awkward.

2  Thank adwight

Dear adwight,
Thank you for sharing with our readers feedback relating to your recent stay at Heritage Auckland. In reading your review we have not exceeded your expectations which is extremely disappointing. We receive positive feedback every day which is fantastic but when we see we have not which is the case with your stay with us we do spend quite sometime looking into how we could best change what has happened during your experience with us. The building will celebrate 100 years in operation this year and we do continue to work on refurbishment programme to keep the charm of our historic building reflective in our decor plans. I do hope that in sometime to come you will visit our fantastic hotel to see how we continue to improve our guest experience.

Reviewed 23 January 2014 via mobile

Stayed here in Jan 2014. Really liked the hotel found it very clean with good facilities. Food in the Restuarant was all very good and if you want to venture out of the hotel you'll find plenty of good places to eat in walking distance. I also found all the staff very helpful. I spoke with Richard on the concierge desk in the tower wing many times and found his advice very useful. I can't fault any of the staff. All of them were very friendly and helpful. I would highly recommend looking at this hotel as an option if you're staying in Central Auckland.

From a Happy English Customer

Stayed: January 2014
1  Thank AidyK1975

Dear AidyK1975,
Thank you very much for sharing with our readers comments relating to your recent stay with us at Heritage Auckland. My team and I are delighted to read that we have exceeded your expectations through out your time with us. We were extremely proud to serve you and do look forward to hosting you again sometime very soon.

Reviewed 21 January 2014

We had a great stay at this hotel, centrally located, good gym with a wonderful view on the roof. Hot tub and pool were also on the roof open to the view. Only negative comment is that 2 chairs in the room would have been welcome.

Stayed: January 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank patriciamarkwick

Dear patricamarkwick,
Thank you for sharing the great feedback relating to your recent stay at Heritage Auckland. My team and I are delighted we have exceeded your expectations and have noted your comments about chairs in the room. We do hope that you have enjoyed the rest of your time in New Zealand and would be honored to host you again sometime very soon.