“Very Nice, but not quite exceptional.”
Review of Heritage Auckland

Heritage Auckland
Ranked #9 of 67 Hotels in Auckland
Cromwell, New Zealand
“Very Nice, but not quite exceptional.”
Reviewed 23 April 2010

Stayed here for a weekend break and took advantage of the upgrade offer, which included valet parking, a "superior" room and included breakfast for the price of a standard room.

The room was good, spacious, clean and the bed comfortable. We had a view across a multistory carpark(!) to the harbour, which was very nice. Being on the side of the hotel, there was no traffic noise. One minor gripe. There was no lamp near the sofa in the lounge area, so it was difficult to sit and read.

Restaurant was excellent both for dinner and the excellent buffet breakfast. However, when will restaurant staff in NZ be trained not to remove plates when others at the table are still eating!

Had a problem locating our car at the end of the stay. The young man brought the wrong one to the door and when we pointed this out, he went away, we assumed to get the right one. When nothing had happened after several minutes wait we went back to the desk to enquire and were told that it was our fault as we had given him the wrong ticket. Eventually sorted, but could clearly do with some customer relations training.

Overall, very good, but a few things need to be addressed to make it worth an excellent rating.

• Stayed April 2010, travelled with friends

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (475)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Thai first
London
Reviewed 17 April 2010

For a hotel that prides itself on its heritage building, this hotel is surprisingly soulless. I almost wish that they had used a new building, perhaps one with some sound proofing, as our room was on the corner of two large roads. This isn't ideal when you have just arrived on a long flight, and want to get some sleep. Although this hotel is in central Auckland, and so could be described as a good location, I definitely wouldn't stay in the CBD if I was to return to Auckland on holiday again.
Service is as you would expect for a large hotel, fine, but without any personal touch.

• Stayed March 2010, travelled as a couple
Hampshire
Reviewed 6 March 2010

First hotel on tour of New Zealand. Location is great for exploring Auckland.
Breakfast included in our deal was best we had in NZ.
Bathroom was a little strange and lacked usual fittings.

• Stayed January 2010, travelled as a couple
Los Angeles, CA
Reviewed 17 February 2010

I was upgraded to a "deluxe" room, which was of a decent size. The decor was pleasant, the bed comfortable, and the space was clean. However, they could use some soundproofing - while, to the hotel's credit, I couldn't hear anyone in the neighboring rooms (during a week when the hotel was nearly full), street noise was annoying - especially weekend nights, when the singing drunks were out in force. The staff was pleasant and the location good. By far the most unpleasant aspect of the stay was the shower... It never got hot and the water flow came out as a trickle; the lack of a shelf or bench in the shower also made it hard for a gal to shave her legs. I am not exaggerating when I say it's one of the worst hotel showers I ever dealt with - and I'm including youth hostels in that comparison. All in all, it's a fine place to stay if you can get a good rate, but it's nothing special.

• Stayed January 2010, travelled solo
1 Thank AmoryB
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 15 February 2010

A pleasant hotel converted from a mail order factory in the 1980's. The rooms are spacious and well furnished . The beds are very comfortable . Service was thoughtful and well mannered. This is part of a chain of Heritage hotels throughout North and South Islands . Had we known that in advance we would have used the chain to travel more widely in New Zealand than we did during our two week stay. We also stayed at the Heritage in Christchurch which was even better than the Auckland hotel. The Hotels also have apartments that can be rented and they are very reasonable and well appointed. I would recommend using their own website for bookings as they seem to have offers available that might not be made available to you if , as we did, you booked through an agent( in our case through Flight Center)

• Stayed December 2009, travelled as a couple
Hamilton, New Zealand
Reviewed 27 January 2010

I had a one night stay on Tuesday night at the Heritage. It had all the outward trappings of a hotel able to command the $150/night rate. I booked in and since we had left our car at the hotel earlier in the day, we asked to access the car to retrieve our luggage. Problem was waiting for someone to appear and take us down to the car. Although it was but a couple of minutes wait, there seemed no urgency on the individuals part to attend to the next enquiry. This was commented on by my colleague who accompanied me to the car.

The next experience to add to the deduction on marks for the hotel, was the lack of direction to get to the room. I was in 633 and took the lobby lift to the 6 th floor. The next challenge was navigating myself through the maze of corridors and numerous smoke stop doors to find the room. When I reached the room, I noticed a lift directly down the corridor about 20m away. This lift went directly down to the ground floor and a relatively straightforward and unencumbered route to the lobby. It would have been nice for better directions both at the booking in counter and on pillars to provide adequate directions for the newly arrived. Further though this particular lift has 2 swipe units, one for the tower and one for another building definition. The problem is that neither intuitively relate to the hotel rooms to which the lift serves. Then it became a case of finding which was the correct one of four options. You see neither swipe unit indicates which side the card strip needs to face, so having made one selection using one side and that did not work, I then tried the next unit and that did not work. At least I now knew which side the strip needed to be on, all I had to do was identify which swipe unit gave me access to the rooms. As per Murphys Law it was the second of 2 trys to get the right swipe unit, having first used 2 trys to identify the right card side to use.

The room.

First I noted that the TV had a sound quality as though it were not properly tuned in. The constant ‘hiss’ associated with any TV or radio not tuned to the station correctly, became a distraction.

I tried the internet connection and even though the settings I use in every other hotel/motel I have stayed in throughout the world except the Stamford in Auckland, gave me access to the internet and in the vast majority of cases this connection is free. I was unable to get connected.

The night was reasonably heavy and a light application of air into the room helped make the environment bearable. Oh dear one more problem, that constant hum from the fan. This was sufficient to keep me awake and hence did not sleep well at all.

Still I can refresh with a nice breakfast, after all it is costing over $23 so it must be real special. Yea right. Breakfast consisted of a small pack of cereal (expected) 3 pieces of bread of which only one was toasted, butter, but no spread to go with it. I did note that there was no option to select a spread, and assumed that like other places they simply give you a choice of spreads. But no just 1 piece of toast, 2 pieces of bread and some butter. The tea was nothing more that a pot of hot water (available from the in room kettle anyway) a half cup and tea bag. This ‘benefit’ was nothing more or less than was available in the room anyway and the only benefit it provided if it can be deemed to be a benefit, is that I did not have to boil the water.

Finished breakfast, and time for a shower. The shower holder was not secured in place but moved from side to side indicating a lack of maintenance attention. The shower head was too wide for the rail and hence would not sit at right angles to the back wall. As a consequence the shower ran down the wall onto the bath surround, along the surround and onto the floor. Naturally enough the floor was soon covered in a not insubstantial puddle.

As for the decor, the cupboards appeared cheap and not a quality found in other 4 and 5 star hotels.

All in all what I feel is needed is a ‘mystery shopper’ designated to stay there for at least 2 nights to see how the whole experience really is, to see if the room cleaning matches the level of maintenance or is in fact up to standard. To see that dishes are not washed and dried with the same cloth used to wipe down the bathroom and toilet and other ‘minor’ practices. I did not see any such practice, but based on the sloppy approach in other areas, the next conclusion one is led to, is that the cleaning would simply follow the same trend in service.

Overall I would not rate the experience highly and certainly do not see anything like $150 per night value, at best $100 per night.

• Stayed January 2010, travelled on business
Auckland
Reviewed 18 January 2010

I am from Auckland and decided to spend a night with partner in executive suite. Very disappointed. Staff fantastic. Room large and clean. Stayed in the old historic wing. There is also a new building. Was previouly the largest department store in Auckland, converted to hotel number of years ago. This is the problem I think, no sound proofing. Wooden floors look great but is a massive hotel and you can hear every foot step from the far end of the passageway. Worst nights sleep I have every had. If you are looking for a party hotel then this will be a good option otherwise go elsewhere.

• Stayed January 2010, travelled as a couple