“Great value in a city centre location”
Review of Heritage Auckland

Heritage Auckland
Ranked #11 of 66 Hotels in Auckland Central
Reviewed 6 June 2010

Nice suite with kitchen, large living room and spacious bedrooms, and balcony. Walking distance to Sky tower, Maritime Museum and shopping district. Rooftop swimming pool and fitness centre.

• Stayed: April 2010, travelled with family
HeritageAucklandGM, General Manager at Heritage Auckland, responded to this reviewResponded 11 July 2010

Dear guest,

many thanks for your valuable feedback!

I was pleased to read that you enjoyed the facilities the Hotel had to offer.

Your feedback regarding your check in is most valuable in developing the customer service skills of our team.

Kind regards

Karl Unterfrauner

Reviewed 29 May 2010

Firstly I was disappointed that I was not 'welcomed back' as a return guest. I even mentioned that the address on the registration card had changed and updated it, but no welcome back from the Asian receptionist. This would then mean that she maybe thought it was my first time, but evidently not because she just handed me my key, stated the room number out loud (an absolute security no go) and pointed me to the lifts. No introduction about the hotel faciliets or whether there were any specials in the restaurant etc.

I expect casual small talk when waiting for keys being prepared etc, just to 'kill the time'. However when I asked the lady if she had a busy day she just said 'yes' and nothing else. She showed no interest in how my day had been or where I had just arrived from.
The concierge on duty was eager to assist with my luggage, even though I offered to take it myself, and I appreciated his professionalism a lot.

The room was very nice, no fresh air as the windows look onto the inner courtyard of the building which has the restaurant. Breakfast in this restaurant is worth while, I remember from my first stay. Make sure to have a drink in the house bar, nicely set up area, with some great happy hour deals where you even get complimentary appetizers.

This hotel has beautiful facilities on the rooftop, a pool and gym etc. Very nice to spend a morning in. Easy to get a little lost as it is two buildings combined into one, but I found a room attendant more than helpful to put me in the right direction.

All and all a beautiful hotel, just unfortunate that the receptionist's customer service skills where so below 4 star standard.

• Stayed: May 2010, travelled solo
Reviewed 10 May 2010

Heritage Auckland is situated in a fabulous location in the CBD - close to everything.

The rooms are a very generous size if you're travelling for business (or vacation) with super comfy beds. There was a bit of traffic noise coming from the road but overall not too bad in comparison to other CBD hotels I've stayed in.

Hector's restaurant is fabulous for breakfast. We were pushed for time to get to an early morning meeting and the staff were fantastic in processing our orders through quickly.

Would 100% recommend staying at this hotel.

• Stayed: July 2009, travelled on business
Reviewed 5 May 2010

Arrived in very urban setting not optomistic,but found that we had been given a suite - hall with 3 rooms off, living space with 3pc suite, kitchenette, huge flat screen TV dining table and 4 chairs. Bedroom with huge super-king bed, loads of storage, desk, 2 chairs and another huge TV, and wet room large enough to swing a cat the size of a lion in!!!!
This was an old building which had maintained all its character but was extremely stylish. We had a meal in the restaurant as a group which was very tasty but the service was a little slapdash. Breakfasts were pentiful tasty buffets - no complaints.
The hotel is 5 mins walk from the harbour where all the life is, and 5mins (in opposite direction from the sky tower - you MUST visit this!!
The roof top swimming pool is excellent, a real bonus with great views and just the place to chill out late afternoon after a mornings sight-seeing.
Whellchair access in the hotel was great, but Auckland is built on a hill, therefore someone with a strong push is required when returning from the waterfront.

• Stayed: February 2010
Reviewed 1 May 2010

Stayed in this hotel twice during a one-month vacation in New Zealand. Stayed in many of the Heritage properties during that time, and I'd have to say this one ranked at the bottom of the list.

It's in a good location near the top of the CBD, right across from the Sky Tower. Easy access from the Hwy 1 motorway. If you have a car, though, the only option is valet parking at $30 per day. And aside from the location, there's not much to recommend this place. The tower building where we stayed is evidently an old department store, so most of the rooms have views the side of another building.

The first time we checked in, for no apparent reason (it was 4 pm on a Thursday) we were booked into a disabled room. The second time, we were booked for a king size room, again arrived in the early evening, and got to our room to find two twin beds, so the room had to be re-configured--like a cruise ship.

The rooms in the tower wing have a washer/dryer combo unit, but this comes at a STEEP price: if any of the surrounding rooms use theirs, particularly at 6 am, it will sound like someone is jack-hammering about 20 feet away, for nearly two hours. TERRIBLE amount of noise!

The sink in the bathroom was slow to drain and clogged... I'm sure they would have remedied that had I called reception, but if the room is getting cleaned every day, shouldn't they proactively fix that?

The TV was a 17" CRT showing only a few channels.

I really would have liked to rate this place better, but for the class of hotel, it just didn't feel up to standards.

• Stayed: May 2010, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 23 April 2010

Stayed here for a weekend break and took advantage of the upgrade offer, which included valet parking, a "superior" room and included breakfast for the price of a standard room.

The room was good, spacious, clean and the bed comfortable. We had a view across a multistory carpark(!) to the harbour, which was very nice. Being on the side of the hotel, there was no traffic noise. One minor gripe. There was no lamp near the sofa in the lounge area, so it was difficult to sit and read.

Restaurant was excellent both for dinner and the excellent buffet breakfast. However, when will restaurant staff in NZ be trained not to remove plates when others at the table are still eating!

Had a problem locating our car at the end of the stay. The young man brought the wrong one to the door and when we pointed this out, he went away, we assumed to get the right one. When nothing had happened after several minutes wait we went back to the desk to enquire and were told that it was our fault as we had given him the wrong ticket. Eventually sorted, but could clearly do with some customer relations training.

Overall, very good, but a few things need to be addressed to make it worth an excellent rating.

• Stayed: April 2010, travelled with friends
Reviewed 17 April 2010

For a hotel that prides itself on its heritage building, this hotel is surprisingly soulless. I almost wish that they had used a new building, perhaps one with some sound proofing, as our room was on the corner of two large roads. This isn't ideal when you have just arrived on a long flight, and want to get some sleep. Although this hotel is in central Auckland, and so could be described as a good location, I definitely wouldn't stay in the CBD if I was to return to Auckland on holiday again.
Service is as you would expect for a large hotel, fine, but without any personal touch.

• Stayed: March 2010, travelled as a couple