“Excellent hotel, well priced and located, good facilities”
Review of Pullman Auckland

Pullman Auckland
Ranked #13 of 67 Hotels in Auckland
GreenLeadersSilver level
Melbourne
“Excellent hotel, well priced and located, good facilities”
Reviewed 4 October 2011

I stayed in this hotel whilst on a business trip in Auckland.
The facilities were excellent - pool, sauna, steam room, and jacuzzi.
I didn't make use of the gym - but that also looked good.
Rooms overall are good - a bit on the small side.
I had room service a couple of times which also had a decent selection and the food was good.
A couple of negatives:
1 - the bed was too soft (or the mattress too old). But that may be a personal preference thing. It gave me a sore back.
2 - my room faced the water/docks area (what you could see of it) and from 5am onwards, the noise of clanging steel on steel (sounded like containers were being unloaded/loaded or bins collected), or some other similar noise generating activity woke me up.
I would really recommend a room on the other side which should be less noisy, and for the hotel management to upgrade to double glazing on this side of the hotel.
Aside from that, I would stay here again. Its well located, a short walk away from the main strip.

Room Tip: Don't get one over looking the docks/water because of the early morning noise (unless you don...
  • Stayed September 2011, travelled on business

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (440)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
Coromandel Peninsula, New Zealand
Reviewed 24 September 2011

Stayed for the weekend of the RWC 2011 NZ v's France & what an amazing time.
Hotel was lovely & staff were very pleasant. Heard some noises overnight which kept me awake (including my own toddler) but staff quickly moved us the next morning, I didnt have an issue with this.
Breakfast was devine considering how many people were there, we were glad we got there early enough.
Didnt go swimming but checked out the area & looked awesome, wished we had packed togs !

Room Tip: Room with sea views :)
  • Stayed September 2011, travelled with family
1 Thank kiwicamperaucks
New Zealand
Reviewed 20 September 2011

I stay in Auckland a lot for work. I usually stay at a hotel close to work but a special came up for The Pullman and decided to give it a try. I don't really stay in 5 star hotels in my own country too often but do when overseas.
The greeting at the door was excellent and was very helpful about where I could park and all the parking related information.
The guy at check-in wasn't unfriendly but didn't go out of his way to help either and it was a fairly average check-in experience.
The room was lovely and seemed pretty brand new. The decor was very tasteful, the room was spacious and set out very well. Very comfortable king size bed but I would have liked extra pillows. Decent range in the minibar.
The bathroom was clean and well set out, amenties were well stocked but not over the top.
I arrived late and didn't want to go out to dinner so I ordered room service. When I ordered I was told to expect it within 20-25 minutes and it arrived in just under 20 mins. I have to say it was the best room service food I have had in a long long time, it was delicious, piping hot, beautifully presented and more food than I could eat.
I called the front desk for a robe, which I expected to be denied but it was brought to my room in under 10 minutes by very friendly staff.
Check-out was fast and very friendly, collectly the car was easy.
Overall, it was a great stay, I will be recommending it to people and will use it again in the future.

• Stayed June 2011, travelled on business
1 Thank yesitisI
pullman01, General Manager at Pullman Auckland, responded to this review, 22 September 2011
Dear yesitisI,

Thank you for your positive feedback regarding our hotel. We pride ourselves on providing guests with a 5 star experience and I am pleased that this is what you received.

For future stays please feel free to contact the front desk for extra pillows etc if you need them as they are more than happy to help you with anything you need.

We look forward to welcoming you back to the hotel in the future.

Kind regards,

Rob McIntyre
General Manager Pullman Auckland
Brisbane, Australia
Reviewed 19 September 2011

This hotel is a good solid choice at reasonable value. Whilst a bit dated from the outside the rooms have all the usual modern conveniences and there is an excellent pool, gym and day spa area.

Service is a standout here. Whilst knowledgeable and professional, there seemed to be a genuine welcoming spirit. This was actually true of the experience in Auckland generally and visitors will be well rewarded for going off the beaten track a bit and striking up a conversation.

The hotel does have a few annoying quirks like a sporadically functioning lift and door keycard system and the rooms are not great on soundproofing from adjacent rooms. That being said the location is actually very quiet, just opposite a university precinct and park. It is well out of the 'party area' but still only a few minutes walk to the CBD, art gallery, wharf and other tourist attractions. Be warned there is a short but very steep walk up a hill to get back so this location may not suit everyone.

Overall, has the benefits of many larger hotels but still gives a feeling of personal service and good value.

Room Tip: Ask for a room with a glimpse of the harbour to soak up the Auckland experience and get your bearing...
  • Stayed September 2011, travelled with friends
Reviewed 19 September 2011

I have stayed at the Pullman several times now, but this time a little disappointing. I found that the large oversize bed was 2 single kings pushed together leaving a massive lump in the middle of the bed, No mattress protector, the sheets were put straight onto the mattress. YUK. The inner duvet was very dirty again yuk. Kind of a let down as I know this hotel can provide a much greater experience. The resturant evening meal was great as were the pre dinner drinks in the lobby bar, Staff were great, I would return but I would check the bedding issue on arrival...

• Stayed September 2011, travelled with friends
Dear Annrod,

Thank you for your feedback. We apologise that there were some housekeeping issues regarding your bedding but I can personally assure you that this has now been addressed internally.

As a valued guest of Pullman Auckland, your comments are appreciated. We look forward to welcoming you back to the hotel in the future where you will see that this issue has been rectified.

Kind regards

Rob McIntyre
General Manager Pullman Auckland
Edinburgh, United Kingdom
Reviewed 18 September 2011

The mini-bus shuttle from the airport dropped us off at the door of this hotel and was cheaper than a taxi - no need to book in advance. Hotel was in good location near the centre of Auckland. Room was reasonable size but bathroom was the dated 'showercurtain over the bath' affair. The room was unbearably warm and to add to the discomfort there was the thickest feather duvet on the bed. We turned off the heating and used the air con - still too warm, then opened a window but nothing seemed to combat the warmth. A thinner duvet and and a throw on the foot of the bed would have been better to allow for individual control. Harbour view was partly blocked by other buildings. The gym was excellent and the swimming pool was fantastic as were the changing facilities. Didn't eat here so cant comment.

• Stayed September 2011, travelled as a couple
Auckland Region, New Zealand
Reviewed 15 September 2011

I booked on one of those last-minute hotel booking sites and asked for a room away from the elevator foyer as I'm a light sleeper and the sound of people talking whilst they're waiting for the lifts wakes me up. Naturally I was given a room right next to the elevator foyer. After some gentle whining I was given a much better room with a view over the harbour. However, try to get a room on the city side, as the harbour side also affords you a view into other people's apartments which are a little too close for comfort. Unfortunately I could also hear the television of the person in the room next door which was disturbing because I had work to do. Another annoyance was that house-keeping didn't seem to pay much attention to detail - I was given only de-caffeinated coffee and no coffee coffee, they repeatedly left more soap and conditioner than I could use in a month, but neglected to leave shampoo and body lotion - I had to keep getting it brought up, and my personal possessions were moved around and re-arranged a little more than I'm comfortable with. Room service wasn't good either: I ordered a gourmet beef burger and it was like a meal you'd get in a local pub; the bread was so toasted it was rock hard, the meat was over-cooked, the chips were over-cooked, and the onions weren't cooked. It's a nice hotel, but needs to lift its game as far as room service and house-keeping are concerned.

• Stayed September 2011, travelled on business