“Great Location”

GreenLeadersSilver level
Port Orange, Florida
“Great Location”
Reviewed 13 November 2012

Upon checking in, we were offered an upgrade for $40 US dollars per night more (it's normally $125 per night). The desk clerk took us to both rooms so we could view them before deciding and there was no pressure at all. Since we were staying here for four nights (part of a tour package), I'm so glad we did. We had a "living room" and a separate bedroom/bathroom - more like a one bedroom suite. We were able to have our "happy hour" in our living room each evening and even invited our four new friends with plenty of room for everyone to sit. It was very clean and the bed was very comfortable but they do need to put in new carpeting. It was pretty worn. Housekeeping was a bit forgetful - but it was little things like no facecloths. They supply plush white terrycloth robes and slippers (for two) to use during your stay. The doorman were very helpful, made a phone call to ensure our bus driver was on his way to take us to the airport (without me even asking). What I like most about this hotel is the location. We could walk everywhere. And if you can't walk the hills, there is a bus stop just on the other side of the street from the hotel to take you anywhere in town.

Room Tip: Upgrade if you can afford it - it's so much more comfortable.
  • Stayed October 2012, travelled as a couple
PullmanAucklandHotel, General Manager at Pullman Auckland, responded to this review, 14 November 2012
Dear Sherry F,

Thank you for taking the time to write such a glowing review of our property. I am glad you chose to upgrade to a suite as the extra space really does make such a difference to your hotel experience, (especially for impromptu “happy hours” held in room).

I hope you were also able to enjoy our other facilities like our luxury health club and spa during your stay. If not, you will have to add that to the “to do list” for your next stay.

We look forward to welcoming you back to the hotel in the future.

Pullman Auckland

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (443)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
Dubai
Reviewed 13 November 2012

I just checked out at the pulman yesterday early morning and very upset that I have been charged for the slow Internet, which they said was "free". When I checked in, a friend warned me that she has been charged for the free internet, so I made sure I did not choose the wrong option for the paid Internet. I chose the one that clearly stated that it was free and gonna be slow. When I used it, its very very slow as it said. Then when I checked out, the receptionist charged me 10 nzd for the internet and did not listen to me when I explained. I was not the only one. Some of my friends were also charged for that "free internet".
I am very upset with this!!

Stayed November 2012, travelled on business
2 Thank queenoftartars
Wellington, New Zealand
Reviewed 13 November 2012

This was my 2nd stay at this hotel, and found it to be an improvement on my first stay (which was in Nov-2011, would have given 4/5 then).

The hotel is in a nice area, surrounded by leafy parks. It's a 5-10 min walk into town (down a hill) which is actually nice because you don't get all the noisy party people from Queen St when you're trying to sleep (having said that, the hotel neighbours Quadrant and some other apartments, seemed to be a bit of noise from there on a Saturday night).

The service was pretty good at check-in, we came 1 hour early and the room wasn't ready but the receptionist said they'd call us (they didn't but that's ok). Service was prompt when I ran out of teabags and also when the safe got stuck. Bit of a wait at check out but that was because of a chatty guest. The guy at the breakfast area was a bit difficult to deal with (insisted I had to choose what breakfast I was going to have before he would seat me) but the other breakfast staff were lovely. Buffet a bit on the pricey side ($35) but probably normal compared with equivalent hotels. There is also an a la carte breakfast menu, so you are not forced into it, which is a nice touch if you're not that hungry. The weekend we stayed was pretty busy for this hotel - they had the Fast 5 teams, a wedding, and guests coming for Coldplay - but it never felt crowded or that service would be affected.

The rooms are nice, we were on 10th floor and had a decent harbour view (interrupted, but it's Auckland). Some glossy, current magazines were provided which was a nice touch. Bathrooms good, but only 2 towels which were a bit tired (normally hotel rooms for 2 people have at least 3 towels - appreciated by girls with long hair to wash). Bed was supposed to be King but was only a Queen, but comfy enough.

The kicker for me was the internet. Last time I stayed (which was for a work conference over 3 days), the internet was super pricey and capped. It seems that this chain is starting to listen to its customers, and I was so pleased to note that Pullman now offers free internet for up to 3 devices at a slower speed and $10 for faster speed. Perfect if you just need to check your emails or a quick surf. I wasn't able to get a 2nd device connected, but I'm sure they'd have sorted that out if I asked. Wish more hotels in NZ would do this, it's so embarrassing what we charge tourists for internet.

All in all, good service, good hotel, nice location. Good value for money for me as I got a good deal on their website + a $40 credit (promotion), AND on a night when good hotel rooms were at a premium.

Room Tip: Higher floors (even numbers?) face out to the harbour.
  • Stayed November 2012, travelled as a couple
Dear Welly_China_Girl,

Thank you for your feedback, especially to do with our complimentary Wi-Fi which is a service we are happy to provide free of charge to both our hotel guests and conference delegates. You are correct about the connection of your second device with regards to us sorting that out for you. We have an IT Solutions Manager onsite who is able to fix all connection issues and would have happily helped you with this.

With regards to the towels, we only place two towels in each room as part of our environmental focus. Guests are more than welcome to request extra towels, but as an effort to protect the environment we limit the towels to coincide with the amount of guests that are staying in each room. We are strong believers that every little bit helps so with your help, we can help future generations experience the world as it should be.

I am very pleased that you experienced such an improvement in our hotel from last year as we are constantly looking for ways to improve our guest’s experience, the complimentary Wi-Fi being just one element of this.

We hope that you come visit us again soon so we can showcase even more positive improvements in the coming months.

Auckland, New Zealand
Reviewed 13 November 2012

We stayed at the Pullman for a night after attending a business dinner and evening at the hotel.
Upon entering the room we discovered no remote for the TV. We called down to housekeeping for a replacement and 15 mins later discovered an ironing board but no iron. We again called house keeping who then delivered both the remote and iron 10 mins later. We then realised there was also no shampoo but we had brought our own. The room was clean and tidy and the bed comfortable but the hotel is starting to look a little tired in its decor. There was no information at all in the room on the services the hotel offered. All there was, was a note pad and pen. The room was extremely noisy and double glazing would be a huge benefit. You could hear all the street noise and a contstant loud hum all night from something outside the window, not sure what but we didnt have the air con on so it wasnt that. There was also a helicoptor start at a construction site at 6am which woke us. We must say though that when telling reception about the noise they deducted the cost of the parking which was appreciated. Breakfast was OK but we must say the dinner at the hotel at the business function the night before was fabulous.Would we stay again? Not with the amount of noise. Other guests we talked to also found it to be noisy.

• Stayed November 2012, travelled on business
Melbourne
Reviewed 12 November 2012

We stayed only one night at the Pullman Hotel. On a positive side the hotel is located in a good central location, has a great pool, steam room and gym and a fantastic breakfast buffet. Our room also had a great harbour view.
On the negative side our room had a tiny bathroom (more like a 3 star hotel standard) and check out was not a good experience.

• Stayed November 2012, travelled as a couple
new zealand
Reviewed 11 November 2012 via mobile

I tried this hotel again because of the new ownership - but don't be fooled. Still the same tired carpets and wall paper and the rooms still have that musty smell.

Some nice new furniture by the looks of things. But hopeless old phones that kept flashing for a message when there wasn't one.

There was a nice small bath in the room which is heavenly when travelling and reasonable toiletries - they also provided a personal loofah - which I thought was neat.

The most annoying thing was the bed. It looks like the sheets were too small for the bed and couldn't be tucked in at the top and the bottom at the same time. Yuk.

Stayed November 2012, travelled on business
Dear travellerX44,

Thank you for your feedback. We have recently refurbished our entire lobby area, restaurant, bar and connectivity centre with the help of Space Studios and have received many positive comments on the new look and feel of the hotel public areas. I am glad you also enjoyed our improvements.

As we are one of the few hotels with the ability to open windows encouraging fresh air to envelop the room, it is strange that you experienced a ‘musty smell’ during your stay. I wish you had bought your concerns to our attention during your stay as our team would have happily looked into this for you, moving you to another room if required.

We hope to see you in the hotel again soon.