“"Nice hotel hidden away from busy Auckland!"”
5 of 5 bubbles Review of Pullman Auckland

Ranked #13 of 66 Hotels in Auckland
GreenLeadersSilver level
Wellington, Wellington, New Zealand
“"Nice hotel hidden away from busy Auckland!"”
Reviewed 23 February 2013

Nice hotel and rooms are of a good standard are very clean. Stayed here as apart of a mystery deal, was a bargain price. Hotel staff went out of their way to provide good customer service. Good hotel amenities in the room. Would stay here again. It's a slight walk from Queen street, but good to out of the hustle of Queen Street.

• Stayed July 2012, travelled with family
PullmanAucklandHotel, General Manager at Pullman Auckland, responded to this review, 24 February 2013
Dear Andrew C,

Thank you for your review of our hotel. I am glad you enjoyed your mystery hotel including our customer service and amenities.

We look forward to welcoming you back to the hotel in the future.

Pullman Auckland

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (429)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
Glasgow, United Kingdom
Reviewed 20 February 2013

Spent four nights here as part of a business trip in New Zealand; I generally stick with the Accor chain, more for convenience than anything else, but this is a great example of the group. Staff are consistently good (from the apologetic concierge because only one of the valets could drive a manual transmission, to the receptionist who unprompted got from behind the counter to take my bags to a taxi). I got upgraded to a suite because of my status, and these rooms are very nice, though I didn't have the best view (overlooking the entrance canopy). The gym and pool here are comparable with a stand alone gym that I would pay for - a real luxury for me. The hotel also has the friendliest cleaning staff I have ever encountered.

One flaw is probably the bar and restaurant, the service here is a bit lacking, compared to the standard of the hotel otherwise.

Room Tip: Ask for the upgrade if you can get it
  • Stayed February 2013, travelled on business
PullmanAucklandHotel, General Manager at Pullman Auckland, responded to this review, 21 February 2013
Dear RobTheWelsh,

Thank you for taking the time to provide such a positive review on our hotel. It is great that you were able to experience our dedicated service and our Spa at the Pullman facilities and enjoyed them both.

I am so proud of our team and how they continue to perform to a high service level. With regards to the bar and restaurant, thank you for being honest in your review of these areas, as a result I have addressed this with the team.

We look forward to welcoming you back to both Auckland and the hotel again in the future.

NZ
Reviewed 18 February 2013

I stayed four nights while at a conference in Auckland. The conference was not at the hotel, but arrangements had been made for a special group rate for attendees. When I phoned to make my booking with this arranged rate I could not find anyone at the hotel who knew about it. It took five calls with answers like "that person's not here at the moment, you'll have to call back in a few days", and one person who clearly just hung up because it seemed too much trouble. No staff seemed to want to deal with anything out of the ordinary.

When we got there we found the staff very accommodating, but in some cases, a little too much so. We wanted to get our own bags out of the car, as there were all sorts of breakables, but the three guys who descended on us just wouldn't listen to our protests and started hauling stuff out. Keen, but mindlessly so.

In the restaurant on our first night we were asked our room number and the bill went to our final account. However, an American woman, who sat next to us and was clearly well-to-do, was asked how she was going to pay and when she said by credit card she was told she'd have to hand it over for the restaurant to hold while she ate. She protested, but the staff insisted. I was so embarrassed for our country that I told the staff if they wanted surety they could put her meal onto my room if she took off, and made them give the credit card back. She was clearly upset that she'd had her card removed from her within hours of arriving in a strange country. The staff appeared indifferent to the dangers of allowing your card go out of your sight.

Clearly, the room we had at the discounted rate was not going to be the hotel's best, but ours was a little tired. The bathroom, in particular was not up to much. There was long-established mould build-up in the shower and there were two broken floor tiles outside the shower which had water rising from the cracks, even after the room was serviced and the floor was dried. It must be pretty unhealthy under those tiles. There were cockroaches in the bathroom on two occasions. The supplied dressing gowns were hung in a position where they brushed the toilet seat and the handtowels and faceclothes were hung on a rail within inches of the toilet.

I'm aware my experience seems to be at odds with other reports here, but I have just called it as it was, with no particular anger or bias. If the General Manager would like to check Room 818 and tell me I'm wrong, I will happily retract. Probably wouldn't return, even though it's a good location.

• Stayed February 2013, travelled on business
PullmanAucklandHotel, General Manager at Pullman Auckland, responded to this review, 11 March 2013
Dear NzHenry,

Thank you for your feedback on our property, thank you also for discussing the above with me on the phone.

Regarding your arrival, I place utmost importance on the welcome to the Hotel and making guests transition from transport to room as seamless as possible. It appears, in this instance, you did not want the high level of service we provide so I do apologise that your felt we over delivered.

As per your concerns with us asking for a credit card to guarantee a non-house guests drinks as she wished to start a tab, our bar is very popular with house guests and the public due to its great service and facilities and our policy and is pretty much the common practice around the world. If she had been a house guest or dining in our restaurant we would not have required the credit card. As mentioned during our conversation, the guest actually apologised to the bar staff afterwards for her mis-understanding of the procedure and the fuss that had been made.
Your comments regarding mould in the shower grout were valid comments and I am sorry the room was not correctly prepared. It was far below our very high standards and this has been addressed.

As we discussed had you raised your concerns with our friendly team during your 4 night stay we would gladly have welcomed the opportunity to rectify the situation to ensure you had an enjoyable Pullman stay. With regards to that and our conversation I am pleased to know that you had overall a great stay and I look forward to welcoming you back in the future.

Thank you again for discussing your concerns post stay and I wish you a successful 2013.

Geelong, Australia
Reviewed 17 February 2013

Convenient location for my business trip. Easy walk to downtown areas. Staff are very helpful and friendly. Rooms in the residence section of the hotel are very spacious and offer good value. Always easy to get a taxi out front. The out door area is relaxing with a nice feel.

Room Tip: Stay in the residence section
  • Stayed February 2013, travelled on business
PullmanAucklandHotel, General Manager at Pullman Auckland, responded to this review, 18 February 2013
Dear Pat R,

Thank you for taking the time to provide feedback on our hotel. I’m glad you had such an enjoyable stay during your business trip. We really appreciate all your positive comments on the hotel and our “helpful and friendly” staff.

We hope to welcome you back again for business or leisure in the future.

A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed 16 February 2013

Very Clean and comfortable hotel. Room very spacious. Buffet breakfast fantastic. Dinner menu exceptional. Central location with a short walk to centre of CBD
Only negative is the hill you need to walk up to get back to hotel from CBD!

• Stayed December 2012, travelled as a couple
Dear Guest,

Thank you so much for your review of our hotel. Your kind comments on our rooms, breakfast, dinner and overall cleanliness of our hotel is greatly appreciated. A tip for your next visit - talk to our concierge team during your next stay and they will be able to give you a few shortcuts to make the hill not so much of a challenge.

We look forward to welcoming you back again soon.

Quebec City, Canada
Reviewed 16 February 2013

Lovely hotel that's managed to give a sence of rural outlook but so close to central Auckland. The restaurant isn't the best atmosphere wise, very business like but good food. Other than that excellent staff, rooms and views. FYI, don't think you can push the limits with on street parking around there, 25 mins over on the meter and already towed.

• Stayed February 2013, travelled as a couple
PullmanAucklandHotel, General Manager at Pullman Auckland, responded to this review, 17 February 2013
Dear Mary H,

Thank you so much for your review and all your positive comments on our hotel. I understand your observations on our restaurant and we are currently working on this at present so thank you for this feedback. Thank you also for your comments on our excellent staff, rooms and views.
How frustrating to get towed whilst on holiday! The Auckland parking wardens are very efficient in the central city unfortunately, as are the towing companies. I hope this didn’t sour your New Zealand experience though. For future stays I would suggest using our valet parking service which allows you to come and go as you please over a 24 hour period or alternatively you can also use the Wilsons owned car park underneath the hotel.

We look forward to welcoming back to New Zealand and our hotel in the future.

Reviewed 10 February 2013

Stayed two nights while on business in Auckland, and while the hotel is conveniently located the service varied between relaxed to non existent. Case in point, I arrived late in the evening and the bell hop came to meet my taxi but didn't say hello, watched me struggle with bags out of the vehicle, then watched me walk in to the lobby just in time to offer the same ''service" to my colleague in the next cab! Not a great first impression. Followed up with a long wait at reception...

My other gripe was that my room was not serviced during my stay, not sure if this was typical or not but after a long day clean towels and refreshed amenities and mini bar would have been nice. I felt really anonymous at the Pullman so will choose to stay elsewhere on my next few visits to Auckland.

Stayed January 2013, travelled on business
PullmanAucklandHotel, General Manager at Pullman Auckland, responded to this review, 11 February 2013
Dear sshaunbb,

Thank you for your feedback on our hotel. My sincerest apologies that you felt you did not receive a true 5 star Pullman experience. I have personally addressed your comments regarding our concierge team so this does not happen in the future.

With regards to your comments on our room service, our housekeeping department service our guests room’s everyday unless a guest puts their “Do Not Disturb” sign on their door, or activates their light (as in the case of the Residence Suites). In some cases guests aren’t aware that they have placed their light on and we only find out this was a mistake when they inform our Front Office team.

As part of our commitment to the environment, unless a guest places their towels on the floor we do not replace them. There is signage in the bathroom to inform our guests of this and it is up to our guests whether they would like to support us in this initiative.

Again, I apologise that you did not have a true Pullman experience on this visit, but I hope that you will stay with us again in the future so we can showcase our true 5 star hospitality.