“Great quality and location”
Review of Pullman Auckland

Ranked #16 of 65 Hotels in Auckland Central
GreenLeadersSilver level
Reviewed 26 April 2013

The Pullman is a fantastic hotel to stay at. Very professional and quality of rooms that enables a relaxing stay. A close walk to the Britomart shopping precinct. If you don't want to venture out, the hotel has an amazing pool, spa and sauna. Very relaxing!

Review collected in partnership with Accorhotels.com
PullmanAucklandHotel, General Manager at Pullman Auckland, responded to this reviewResponded 30 April 2013

Dear 7sally59,

Thank you for your high rating of our hotel and for taking the time to write this review. We are very happy that you enjoyed your stay at our hotel and were able to experience all our 5 star facilities.

Thank you also for your positive comments on our service - I have passed these on to the team.

We hope to see you back up in Auckland and at the hotel again in the future.

Reviewed 24 April 2013

Great location handy to theatre shops and restaurants and good facilities with high standard of service. Parking fee a bit steep but there is really no choice if you come by car.
In all a great stay Breakfast in the morning was fast and adequate

• Stayed: April 2013, travelled as a couple

Dear HappyPPP,

Thank you for your review of our property, especially your positive comments on our high standard of service, location, and breakfast.

I completely understand your comments regarding parking options but as we unfortunately don't own the car park underneath the hotel we are unable to dictate the prices here.

We look forward to welcoming you back to the hotel again in the future.

Reviewed 23 April 2013

Stayed at Pullman from 19th last week and checked out yesterday. I stayed 3 nights there and it's def not a 5 stars hotel. I've stayed at so many accor hotels and this one isn't as good as what I expected. I booked the superior room from super sale and it was marked 40% off at that time but still costs $173.4 a night, 3 nights in total of 520.4. (Is that really 40% off, I don't think so). Anyway. I arrived at the hotel then the girl said the room you booked is the standard one then she asked if I wanted to upgrade to other room by paying how much extra. She was suggesting to some room said normally it's 600 a night but I just have to pay extra 180 per night for that? Not too sure why a hotel staff would think I want to pay that much to upgrade my room? I said no thanks then she checked me in a room located on 5th floor. I grabbed my key and went up to my room. Once I walked in the room there's a really OLD smell. The old building smell, unbearable smell. I paid to stay at PULLMAN but the room is with this kind of smell? So I came back down again and told the girl about the smell then she said she would find other room for me. I also mentioned that the room size is suprisingly small, it def doesn't meet the standard Pullman room size. It feels like a 3 star hotel room size. Anyway, she said that's what I booked(they didn't even put the room size on accor website, other Pullman hotels I've stayed before all got the room size on the website , now I understand why Pullman Auckland didn't do that. Anyway, I said I am just here by myself, don't care about the room size but you need to do something with the smell and I also asked her to go to 5th floor to check the smell with me. She went up to 5th floor, after we got out from the lift then you could smell the old building smell. I told her that's very unsure for Pullman, other Pullman hotels, even the hall way you could smell something really nice as they spray something daily. But not this one. She went to the room then I said can you smell it. She said the building is 50 years old, got have some smell????? I said what? I paid to stay at a hotel and I really don't want the this smell in my room. She said oh you really care about the smell. I really don't understand how a staff from 5 stars hotel chain would think a guest would be ok with this type of smell? Anyway, she took me to 11 floor to look at another room. It was the same size room but on 11 floor, there wasn't such smell. ( I pre-booked hotel and they tried to put me in a room with some funny smell first? not happy about that). I told her yes it doesn't smell like downstairs and even the carpet is cleaner up here. For the checked in and moved the room, then at the room on 11th floor, I was looking for indoor slippers but I couldn't find it any where so I called the front desk and said you guys don't have indoor slippers at room? They said there should be in the room, anyway, I couldn't find it so they asked someone to bring them to the room. (once again, not like Pullman again). It was raining all the time over the weekend. I went to the front desk and asked if I could borrow an unbrella and they guy said sorry we don't have any left, I said sorry, what? then he repeated sorry we don't have any left. I can't think of any reason that I am staying at a 5 stars hotel but I couldn't even borrow an unbrella??? On Sunday I went out for a long lunch then walked around the city then came back to hotel at 4PM, I was very suprised that my room hasn't been cleaned. So I called the house keeping then they said they would send someone over then I waited for a while but still couldn't see anyone came then I called the front desk and said I am not too sure why my room hasn't been cleaned and it's already passed 4PM. Anyway, I sat in my room then someone girl came at almost 5pm. I asked why my room hasn't been cleaned then her answer was they were very busy that day????? Once again, if they called themselves a 5 stars hotel then there's no excuse for this at all. I've stayed at so many Accor hotels before, the Auckland Pullman is probably the only one didn't meet my expectations.

• Stayed: April 2013, travelled solo
1  Thank Rodney T

Dear Rodney T,

Thank you for providing a review on our hotel. Please accept my sincerest apologies on the concerns you have had during your stay. I wish that you had spoken to our Duty Manager so they could've addressed your issues personally at a managerial level.

I am glad that our front desk team went the extra mile with service and personally went to investigate the query you had with your room. It is just unfortunate that you booked a room type that was not suitable to your needs. We did offer the upgrade to a room that was more suited to your requirements but unfortunately this was declined.

For your future stays I would suggest booking a room in our residence tower which has more space to relax in and is a better comparison to the overseas new build hotels that you have previously stayed in.

Thank you again for providing this review and apologies again that your stay was not an enjoyable one.

Reviewed 22 April 2013

Stayed here with my wife and kids a couple of weeks ago.
There are a couple of towers. One has hotel rooms the other has apartment like rooms.
We had interconnecting rooms in the apartment tower. Firstly, one room was like a studio so had a bedroom, sitting room and a kitchen all in one room. Sounds crowded - but it wasn't - if just a couple then this would be perfect. The second room we had was had a separate lounge with the kitchen in it. This then connected to the studio. This made it probably one of the largest hotels we have ever stayed in. Both apartments had balconies.
Some rooms have laundry facilities, some don't.
We tried out the pool and although it wasn't that big - lap pool - the kids enjoyed it and it wasn't that busy during the day. I could imagine it gets a little crowded in the mornings. There was also a spa and sauna.
Had the hotel breakfast one day, buffet style and eat as much as you can.
Overall, couldn't have asked for more.
We were on the 4th floor so the views weren't great but had a peek of the harbour. I'm sure higher would be better.
Parking seems a little on the pricey side but there aren't really many options. It is about a 5-10 minute walk out of the centre (pretty steep hill)

• Stayed: April 2013, travelled with family
PullmanAucklandHotel, General Manager at Pullman Auckland, responded to this reviewResponded 23 April 2013

Dear MoofTraveller,

Thank you for your 5 star rating of our property! It is great that you and the family were able to take advantage of our spacious Residence Suites. The extra lounges, balconies, kitchen facilities and multiple TV’s come in handy for a family trip away. I’m glad you were also able to experience and enjoy all the facilities during your stay.

We look forward to welcoming you all back to the hotel for another trip across the ditch in the future.

Reviewed 21 April 2013

Stayed in Auckland for 5 days for the first part of my New Zealand trip; extremely satisfied with the entire property.

Located on the campus of their University, it was quite well-located for me, as I walked to all of my destinations. With the exception of a gradual hill from Queen street, it was a pleasure to navigate the entire area.

The hotel and my room specifically (in the residence tower) were immaculate, bathroom was gigantic, living room was huge, and the view from the balcony was spectacular; I woke up every morning to see the sunrise from it.

Would not hesitate to stay here again if I can make it back to Auckland soon.

Room Tip: I was in room 1550 in the residence tower, try to get a room with a view of the harbour; the sunrise...
  • Stayed: April 2013, travelled solo
2  Thank Paletrees

Dear Paletrees,

Thank you for providing such a glowing review on our property. I am glad that we were able to impress you on the first 5 days of your New Zealand trip! Thank you also for your detailed comments on your Residence Suite stay. We receive a lot of positive feedback on this room type so I am glad you also enjoyed it.

We hope that you are able to plan another trip to middle earth in the future so we can welcome you back to the hotel again.

Reviewed 21 April 2013

A wonderful hotel. To be fair we were upgraded to a suite. Rooms are getting old now but clean and well set up. Best bed yet. Staff very friendly and helpful. Great breakfast. With Advantage Plus membership great value for money.

1  Thank HaheiPete

Dear HaheiPete,

Thank you for your review of our hotel – so glad you found our hotel to be wonderful. There are so many benefits in having an Advantage Plus membership which I am pleased to see you discovered during this stay.

We look forward to welcoming you back to the hotel in the future.

Reviewed 21 April 2013

Booked during a promotion so paid 50%. We are Accor members so thought we'd try out this property. At this rate is was pretty good value. Certainly not 5 star (compared with our recent stays at the Langham). Arrived and the valet carparking were busy, no one offered or available to help with luggage, so we lugged it in and checked in. Room wasn't ready at 2.30pm but to their credit the did offer a drink voucher. We had to ask to leave our bags somewhere and shown a trolly to leave it on. Valet carparking had great difficulty in selecting gears on our Mercedes Benz ML63 so after waiting about 5 minutes, actually showing them how to do it and in the end just parking it myself!

We went for a walk while waiting for our room, returned about an hour later, the room was ready, our luggage had moved from the trolley to being left in the corner of the foyer. Please my laptop which was pretty obvious hadn't been taken while it was left unattended. I certainly would have thought taking our bags to our room for us once it was ready would not be too much of a stretch.

The room was spacious, it was a twin room so had an adjoining room. Balconies are a welcome bonus and not found at too many hotels so did like this.

Furniture was satisfactory but certainly not of a 5 star quality. A little tied and carpets/curtains also a bit tied. Kitchen was well equipped and nice to have. We stayed in the Residences part of the hotel so the rooms are more like serviced apartments.

The beds were really firm, far too firm for my liking but you can't please everyone. An underlay or feather comforter would have a huge difference. (try Langham Blissful beds for the best beds in Auckland, and no I'm not associated with Langham or get commission!!)

Went and used to pool and spa with our young daughter, pool a bit too cool for me, spa was nice though. Also have a steam room and sauna which I didn't try.

Overall it was a satisfactory stay, certainly not 5 star though. Service was fine, not exceptional like other 5 star hotels we've stayed in.

As mentioned at 50% was really good value, certainly would not stay here again at full price.

1  Thank lipm1

Dear lipm1,

Thank you for your feedback on our property especially your kind comments on our spacious Residence Suites and service.

Please accept my sincerest apologies for the care of your luggage. This is certainly not the 5 star service we aspire to and as a result of your comments I have addressed this directly with the team to ensure this does not happen in the future.

With regards to your car, our team drives a diverse range of cars every day. In this instance your car was unfortunately one we had not had the pleasure of driving previously. Our team politely asked for your guidance on the various gear shifts but due to the complexity of this process, felt it was safer for you to drive your car in this instance. I understand the inconvenience this caused you and apologise for this, but I also agree with my team and feel that it was better to ensure no damage was done to your car by opting for you to drive it.

I thank you for choosing to stay at our hotel, and hope to welcome you back to the hotel in the future.