“Won't be staying here again”
Review of Pullman Auckland

Pullman Auckland
Ranked #13 of 67 Hotels in Auckland
GreenLeadersSilver level
Canberra
“Won't be staying here again”
Reviewed 26 August 2013

I got this as a mystery deal through Wotif and was quite pleased to be staying there. The hotel is quite dated on the outside but has been refurbished internally. We were greeted in quite a lack lustre fashion by the reception staff and the service didn't really improve. The rooms are fairly standard, executive rooms. Bathrooms were nothing special and the free wifi in the rooms was appalling. I had to pay for wifi to get a half decent connection. Our room overlooked a concrete roof and air conditioning vents at the back of the hotel although I didn't expect much more given the mystery deal. I did, however, expect to be able to sleep. Instead thumping bass music kept me awake until well after midnight. Every time I put my head on the pillow it reverberated up from the floors below through the bed and the pillow. I finally rang reception at 11.30 to be told "there's a school formal in the ballroom, they're a bit loud aren't they. Never mind they'll be finished up soon..." Not the response that I wanted. I had the buffet breakfast in their restaurant and it was okay. Nothing super special but plenty of choice and it was fresh. I paid the $35 to valet park my hire car and asked that it be available for me at 8.00am the next morning as I had a business meeting to get to. It wasn't ready when I went down and I had to wait 20 minutes for them to get it and bring it around. Based on the noise issues and very average service I will say that there are other 5 star options available in Auckland and I'll be looking to them next time I'm in town.

Room Tip: Ask to stay on the higher floors (well above the 4th floor) to avoid any noise that might come from...
  • Stayed August 2013, travelled on business
PullmanAucklandHotel, General Manager at Pullman Auckland, responded to this review, 12 September 2013
Dear audie3012,

Thank you for your review of our hotel. I apologise for what appears to have been a less than ideal Pullman experience. Our team always put their best foot forward when it comes to our guests, no matter what the booking engine, so it is unfortunate that in this instance you did not experience this.

With regards to valet parking this is simply unacceptable. I have addressed this with the concierge team directly as a result of your comments.

I hope you will give us another opportunity in the future to showcase our true 5 star service.

Rob McIntyre

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (443)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
Taupo
Reviewed 26 August 2013

Our group was accomodated on floors 6-9th. Our room was quiet and had a lovely view over the park. Some of the others were very noisy with wind noise and had a building view site so might be better to check which room you are staying in first. The room, or at least the carpet, (and on our level, especially by the lifts, as well) was getting tired and had stains or signs of wear. The beds were lovely and comfortable, the bathroom, althou' small, was adequate. I think it would have been better to dispense with the bath and get a decent size shower in. Herbal tea bags were available which I always appreciate. Staff were friendly and helpful. Breakfast was very good with lots of options, but of course did not pay for it. Food brought into the conference room was also good, althou' the staff were at times a bit noisy but probably an occupational hazard.

Dear TaupoSheryll,

Thank you for your feedback on our property especially your positive comments on our lovely view, comfortable beds and friendly staff. It sounds like you had an enjoyable stay and a successful conference.

I look forward to welcoming you back to the hotel again in the future.

Mount Maunganui, New Zealand
Reviewed 25 August 2013

Good location. Having stayed at almost every 5 star hotel in Auckland, I don't think The Pullman deserves to be in that category. The hotel is missing a lot of the little things that make your stay special.

I found the bed itself comfortable but the bedding was substandard. The lighting in the room was awful, we had to turn every lamp in the room on in order to get ready to go out for dinner. The bathroom is TINY, probably the smallest hotel bathroom I've been in. Staff are friendly and genuine however I felt the lobby and check-in areas were too 'laid back' and didn't feel that warm welcome like I would for instance at The Langham.

Not worth what it's priced at, nor does it deserve 5 stars. Personally, I wouldn't stay here again.

• Stayed August 2013, travelled as a couple
Dear FoodSnob24,

Thank you for your review of our hotel and for your kind comments on our location and comfortable beds. We are currently in the planning process of a refurbishment of the hotel rooms which will address your comments in this area. I would suggest for your next stay upgrading to one our suites which would better suit your requirements.

With regards to your feedback on our lobby we designed these areas as convivial spaces that encourage relaxation and socialising amongst our guests. We receive nothing but praise for this part of the hotel, so it is unfortunate that you do not agree with the consensus.

Thank you again for your review. We hope to see you again at the hotel in the future.

Northridge, CA
Reviewed 22 August 2013

Comfortable hotel in a convenient location. The only downside is it is a bit of a uphill walk to get back to the hotel from main CBD street (Queen Street), but I can't blame the hotel because there is a hill. Think of it as getting some exercise.

There's a morning breakfast buffet. It's a bit high (NZ$38). I took advantage of it a couple of times because it was convenient and I needed to leave early, but if you're willing to take a short walk, there are many other inexpensive places nearby on Queen Street; There are some convenience stores, and a small supermarket if you walk toward Sky City, if you want to stock up on snacks.

The room was comfortable and modern. The only minus was the carpet was dirty. It was in need a replacing, but nothing worth complaining about. The hotel staff at the front desk were extremely polite and helpful, the restaurant staff less so.

In all, a good place to stay if you're visiting Auckland.

• Stayed August 2013, travelled solo
Dear Burgerwars,

Thank you for your review and high rating of our hotel, I am glad that you enjoyed your stay with us. With regards to your comments on our breakfast buffet I just wanted to mention that our buffet costs $35 as opposed to the $38 you mentioned.

You are correct in pointing out to future travellers that our vicinity to popular Auckland eateries is a great advantage of staying at our hotel. There are many in walking distance, providing an array of options.

Hopefully you can make another trip to Auckland in the future so we can welcome you to the hotel again.

Wellington, New Zealand
Reviewed 19 August 2013 via mobile

Stayed just for one night. Almost everything we needed. Would have liked real coffeee in room. Valet parking was perfect and cheaper than parking our seleves. All staff firendly and helpful. View was great.

Stayed August 2013, travelled as a couple
PullmanAucklandHotel, General Manager at Pullman Auckland, responded to this review, 8 September 2013
Dear sassysalnz,

Thank you for your review. I appreciate your comments on our friendly staff, great view and perfect valet parking.

With regards to the coffee, all of our Executive King Suites come complete with a Nespresso coffee machine. During your next stay I would recommend upgrading to this room type to receive fresh coffee.

auckland
Reviewed 16 August 2013

Stayed at Pullman hotel for training and conference. The front desk staff were welcoming and friendly. The rooms are of standard size. Huge conference hall. Breakfast is good, heaps of variety, you can also ask on how you like your eggs cook. dinner came out cold. not impressed.can recommend this hotel to stay but not to dine.

Dear hotmamanz,

Thank you for your feedback on our property, including our conference offering. I’m glad the breakfast provided you with enough variety and that you enjoyed our freshly cooked eggs.

Please accept my apologies on your dinner. That is not to our usual 5 star standards and I have personally addressed this with the team as a result of your review.

We look forward to welcoming you back for a future leisure or business stay.

Slovakia
Reviewed 16 August 2013

Good location, very nice rooms, clean and nice bathroom, comfortable bed, excellent service, complimentary wifi access. This hotel beated brands such as Hilton or Marriot. Excellent breakfast choice. Definitely recommended. It s just few minutes walk to Auckland city center and to the harbour.

Dear mishii_mis,

Thank you for your great review of our hotel. It appears the combination of our location, rooms, comfortable bed and excellent service provided you with a fantastic stay.

We are truly grateful for you recommending our hotel to your peers.

We look forward to welcoming you back to the hotel again soon.