I stayed at the Pullman hotel for two weeks for work. I was staying in a one bedroom room. There are many good features of this hotel which I highlight. These include:
-reasonable amount of electrical sockets for charging cellphones etc
-friendly housekeeping staff
-large pool, spa, gym and sauna (although I unfortunately did not get to use these facilities).
However, there are many features of this hotel that were very disappointing. I think the main factor to lead to these negative experiences was the fact that the hotel was over staffed. This lead to a decrease in service as staff stand around gossiping to each other all day. There is a clear division of duties. For example, when I went to stand in a queue at the front desk, a male staff member approached me and the others in the queue to have a conversation. I then asked him about my enquiry and he told me to go to the front desk (which was where I was waiting). It appeared that this gentleman's role was as the "line entertainer". I tried to ask the gentleman handing out the umbrellas about dry cleaning. They told me to go to the front desk.
There were so many staff milling about the front desk area that it is hard to tell who is working at the hotel and who is a member of the public. I asked a gentleman for an umbrella and mistakenly realised that he was a member of the public, this was very embarrassing.
The front door is overstaffed and this led to staff congregating around talking. I approached the front doors many times with heavy loads in my arms and was ignored and forced to use my elbows to open the door. I would rather that there be no door staff at all, then door staff who ignore you when you come up to the door with heavy loads.
What most frustrated me at this hotel was been unable to access my room using my room card. I went through around a dozen different room cards. The door cards can not be trusted to work at this hotel. My recommendation is to ask a front desk staff member (or umbrella staff member if you can prise them away from their duties) to accompany you up to your room to check that the room card is working. It is a real nuisance to keep on having to go down to reception each time you want to access your room. I was offended by reception staff blaming me for the card issue by saying that I store my cellphone near my card. This was totally incorrect as I never store my phone near my wallet. This was very poor service indeed.
We often ate room service food for dinner and were very familiar with the menu. The food was very average, small portions and very expensive. The breakfast buffet was very expensive and did not have a huge selection.
The room cleaning standards are average. Tolietries were not replaced regularly and there was an ingrained stain in the bath that would have benefited from a clean with some Jif cream cleanser.
This hotel seemed to be very busy with regular group bookings like tour groups, Emirates flight attendants and rugby league team. The hotel appears to be quite complacent as they have these regular bookings and so do not have to keep up to customer service standards.
I will recommend this hotel to stay at again, however I would only pay 3-4 star prices. This hotel is ridiculously overstaffed with a clear segregation of duties. This leads to poor customer service as staff are too busy gossiping to offer good customer service. Also, make sure to be careful with your room card.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- With its stunning views of Auckland harbour and the city’s parks, Pullman Auckland offers guests a visual treat as well as a very warm welcome. Conveniently located in the heart of the city, the hotel provides easy access to Auckland’s numerous attractions, including the beautiful Albert Park and vibrant, cosmopolitan Viaduct. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, ACCOR, Expedia, Ebookers, Southall Travel, Odigeo, Priceline, Ctrip TA, Hotels.com, Agoda, TripOnline SA, Traveltool, S.L.U., Evoline ltd, HotelQuickly, HRS, Cancelon and getaroom.com so you can book your Pullman Auckland reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Pullman Auckland Hotel Auckland Central
- Auckland Hyatt Regency
- Hyatt Auckland
- Pullman Auckland New Zealand