“4 star hotel at best”

GreenLeadersSilver level
Wellington, New Zealand
“4 star hotel at best”
Reviewed 1 September 2013

I stayed at the Pullman hotel for two weeks for work. I was staying in a one bedroom room. There are many good features of this hotel which I highlight. These include:

-comfortable bed
-reasonable amount of electrical sockets for charging cellphones etc
-good tv
-big lounge
-friendly housekeeping staff
-large pool, spa, gym and sauna (although I unfortunately did not get to use these facilities).

However, there are many features of this hotel that were very disappointing. I think the main factor to lead to these negative experiences was the fact that the hotel was over staffed. This lead to a decrease in service as staff stand around gossiping to each other all day. There is a clear division of duties. For example, when I went to stand in a queue at the front desk, a male staff member approached me and the others in the queue to have a conversation. I then asked him about my enquiry and he told me to go to the front desk (which was where I was waiting). It appeared that this gentleman's role was as the "line entertainer". I tried to ask the gentleman handing out the umbrellas about dry cleaning. They told me to go to the front desk.

There were so many staff milling about the front desk area that it is hard to tell who is working at the hotel and who is a member of the public. I asked a gentleman for an umbrella and mistakenly realised that he was a member of the public, this was very embarrassing.

The front door is overstaffed and this led to staff congregating around talking. I approached the front doors many times with heavy loads in my arms and was ignored and forced to use my elbows to open the door. I would rather that there be no door staff at all, then door staff who ignore you when you come up to the door with heavy loads.

What most frustrated me at this hotel was been unable to access my room using my room card. I went through around a dozen different room cards. The door cards can not be trusted to work at this hotel. My recommendation is to ask a front desk staff member (or umbrella staff member if you can prise them away from their duties) to accompany you up to your room to check that the room card is working. It is a real nuisance to keep on having to go down to reception each time you want to access your room. I was offended by reception staff blaming me for the card issue by saying that I store my cellphone near my card. This was totally incorrect as I never store my phone near my wallet. This was very poor service indeed.

We often ate room service food for dinner and were very familiar with the menu. The food was very average, small portions and very expensive. The breakfast buffet was very expensive and did not have a huge selection.

The room cleaning standards are average. Tolietries were not replaced regularly and there was an ingrained stain in the bath that would have benefited from a clean with some Jif cream cleanser.

This hotel seemed to be very busy with regular group bookings like tour groups, Emirates flight attendants and rugby league team. The hotel appears to be quite complacent as they have these regular bookings and so do not have to keep up to customer service standards.

I will recommend this hotel to stay at again, however I would only pay 3-4 star prices. This hotel is ridiculously overstaffed with a clear segregation of duties. This leads to poor customer service as staff are too busy gossiping to offer good customer service. Also, make sure to be careful with your room card.

• Stayed August 2013, travelled on business
PullmanAucklandHotel, General Manager at Pullman Auckland, responded to this review, 12 September 2013
Dear Olivia M,

Thank you for your feedback on our hotel and your positive comments on our comfortable beds, friendly staff and Spa at the Pullman offering.

As a long stay guest I appreciate your observations on the hotel and its staff, I have to say however, that this feedback is quite contradictory to the usual comments we receive on a regular basis and is quite concerning. At Pullman our focus is on delivering great customer service; placing our guests needs at the forefront. Please accept my humblest apology if this was not your experience during your stay.

I do hope you will give us another chance to showcase our true 5 star hospitality during your next stay.

We look forward to welcoming you back to the hotel again in the future.

Rob McIntyre

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (443)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
Rotorua, New Zealand
Reviewed 30 August 2013

Well trained staff, ever willing to help. When booking we were easily able to book a room with a walk in shower. The room was a good size, the bed was huge and very comfortable - I slept like a baby. But, Ouch!, the valet parking was $35 - central city so you expect to pay, but we didn't expect to pay Paris prices in little old Auckland. As we had spent so much on parking we didn't bother to try the restaurant.

Room Tip: Ask for a room with a harbour view - interesting, and unless you enjoy a bath ask for a room with a...
  • Stayed August 2013, travelled as a couple
Dear real_kiwi_bird,

Thank you for your feedback and your positive comments on our well trained staff and comfortable rooms. It is unfortunate that you weren’t able to try our restaurant during your stay, but hopefully you will be able to next time. Our valet price of $35 enables guests to take their car in and out of the car park over a 24 hour period. This is in line with or more cost effective than alternative 5 star hotels.

We look forward to welcoming you back to the hotel again in the future.

Canberra
Reviewed 26 August 2013

I got this as a mystery deal through Wotif and was quite pleased to be staying there. The hotel is quite dated on the outside but has been refurbished internally. We were greeted in quite a lack lustre fashion by the reception staff and the service didn't really improve. The rooms are fairly standard, executive rooms. Bathrooms were nothing special and the free wifi in the rooms was appalling. I had to pay for wifi to get a half decent connection. Our room overlooked a concrete roof and air conditioning vents at the back of the hotel although I didn't expect much more given the mystery deal. I did, however, expect to be able to sleep. Instead thumping bass music kept me awake until well after midnight. Every time I put my head on the pillow it reverberated up from the floors below through the bed and the pillow. I finally rang reception at 11.30 to be told "there's a school formal in the ballroom, they're a bit loud aren't they. Never mind they'll be finished up soon..." Not the response that I wanted. I had the buffet breakfast in their restaurant and it was okay. Nothing super special but plenty of choice and it was fresh. I paid the $35 to valet park my hire car and asked that it be available for me at 8.00am the next morning as I had a business meeting to get to. It wasn't ready when I went down and I had to wait 20 minutes for them to get it and bring it around. Based on the noise issues and very average service I will say that there are other 5 star options available in Auckland and I'll be looking to them next time I'm in town.

Room Tip: Ask to stay on the higher floors (well above the 4th floor) to avoid any noise that might come from...
Dear audie3012,

Thank you for your review of our hotel. I apologise for what appears to have been a less than ideal Pullman experience. Our team always put their best foot forward when it comes to our guests, no matter what the booking engine, so it is unfortunate that in this instance you did not experience this.

With regards to valet parking this is simply unacceptable. I have addressed this with the concierge team directly as a result of your comments.

I hope you will give us another opportunity in the future to showcase our true 5 star service.

Taupo
Reviewed 26 August 2013

Our group was accomodated on floors 6-9th. Our room was quiet and had a lovely view over the park. Some of the others were very noisy with wind noise and had a building view site so might be better to check which room you are staying in first. The room, or at least the carpet, (and on our level, especially by the lifts, as well) was getting tired and had stains or signs of wear. The beds were lovely and comfortable, the bathroom, althou' small, was adequate. I think it would have been better to dispense with the bath and get a decent size shower in. Herbal tea bags were available which I always appreciate. Staff were friendly and helpful. Breakfast was very good with lots of options, but of course did not pay for it. Food brought into the conference room was also good, althou' the staff were at times a bit noisy but probably an occupational hazard.

Dear TaupoSheryll,

Thank you for your feedback on our property especially your positive comments on our lovely view, comfortable beds and friendly staff. It sounds like you had an enjoyable stay and a successful conference.

I look forward to welcoming you back to the hotel again in the future.

Mount Maunganui, New Zealand
Reviewed 25 August 2013

Good location. Having stayed at almost every 5 star hotel in Auckland, I don't think The Pullman deserves to be in that category. The hotel is missing a lot of the little things that make your stay special.

I found the bed itself comfortable but the bedding was substandard. The lighting in the room was awful, we had to turn every lamp in the room on in order to get ready to go out for dinner. The bathroom is TINY, probably the smallest hotel bathroom I've been in. Staff are friendly and genuine however I felt the lobby and check-in areas were too 'laid back' and didn't feel that warm welcome like I would for instance at The Langham.

Not worth what it's priced at, nor does it deserve 5 stars. Personally, I wouldn't stay here again.

• Stayed August 2013, travelled as a couple
Dear FoodSnob24,

Thank you for your review of our hotel and for your kind comments on our location and comfortable beds. We are currently in the planning process of a refurbishment of the hotel rooms which will address your comments in this area. I would suggest for your next stay upgrading to one our suites which would better suit your requirements.

With regards to your feedback on our lobby we designed these areas as convivial spaces that encourage relaxation and socialising amongst our guests. We receive nothing but praise for this part of the hotel, so it is unfortunate that you do not agree with the consensus.

Thank you again for your review. We hope to see you again at the hotel in the future.