“Very nice stay”

Pullman Auckland
Ranked #16 of 65 Hotels in Auckland Central
GreenLeadersSilver level
Reviewed 4 September 2013

Very nice stay. Each time we have stayed here we have enjoyed it. Tidy rooms and clean and well presented. Received and upgrade the first times stayed and the suite was quite roomy, though we really didn't use the lounge area. Breakfast was nice, plenty to choose from and eat.

• Stayed: November 2012, travelled as a couple
PullmanAucklandHotel, General Manager at Pullman Auckland, responded to this reviewResponded 10 September 2013

Dear Kelly T,

Thank you for your feedback. I truly appreciate you taking the time to provide us with such a positive review. I am glad that you have enjoyed your stay with us on this visit and hope that we continue to see you in the hotel in the future.

Thank you also for recommending our hotel to your peers.

We look forward to seeing you at the hotel again soon.

Reviewed 4 September 2013

Well its a well run clean great location Hotel. You can walk to 90% of all the shops attractions, and water front. The staff could not have been more helpful, parking on site. Amenities were great, the bar and breakfast area was first class. The food even better. The theatre is just a stole down the hill. About 5 mins walk a range of shops and restaurants are at your finger tips.

Room Tip: Get a room with a view and high up to see the city.
  • Stayed: October 2012, travelled with family
PullmanAucklandHotel, General Manager at Pullman Auckland, responded to this reviewResponded 12 September 2013

Dear Kim W,

Thank you for your review and your kind comments. Thank you also for outlining our location in respect to the shopping and entertainment districts in Auckland to help future travellers. It is great that you experienced our true 5 star hospitality with great service, amenities and food.

We hope to see you at the hotel again in the future.

Reviewed 3 September 2013

We stayed at the Pullman last year and I said I'd definitely stay again - so we did. Unfortunately our stay wasn't quite as good - although the problems were not major.

We booked an excellent deal online with free welcome drinks and breakfast. However on check-in we didn't receive our drinks vouchers that came with the package. We had to return to reception later when we wanted to use them. That said, the 2nd front desk person was very apologetic and helpful. Once again I ticked the newspaper box and like our last stay, we didn't receive a newspaper the next morning. We chose a Superior Room and although spotless, it wasn't quite the same as the online photo - no large euro pillows and no bed runner. The doors to the TV unit didn't quite close properly and the mini bar draw had come off its rails - and it must have been like that for some time as there were deep grooves in the bottom of the unit where the draw had been pulled out over time.

On the positive side the pool facilities are still fantastic - some of the best in Auckland - and breakfast the next day was excellent with a good selection and presentation. The lobby had been refurbished since our last stay and looks great. The bar was buzzing and a nice place to sit with a drink while we waited for friends to meet us.

Would I stay again? Yes, but only if I got one another package deal.

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled as a couple

Dear Christo99,

Thank you for your review and most importantly for your repeat stay at our hotel. Thank you also for all your kind comments on our pool facilities, breakfast and refurbishment of our lobby, restaurant and bar area.

As a valued guest I truly value your opinion and it is very unfortunate and disappointing that your second stay did not match or supersede your first stay. Please allow me to apologise for this.

I hope you will give us another opportunity to showcase our true 5 star hospitality in the future.

Reviewed 2 September 2013

The hotel lies at the edge of the CBD with just a 10 minutes walk to the main street in Auckland, Queen St. The hotel is modern and clean with a service minded staff. The room is what I would call average by todays standard and we had a nice view towards the harbour for cargo ships. Basic wi-fi internet in the room is free, with a 3 device limitation. NZ$10 per day for additional high-speed access. A good choice for the average+ traveler.

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled with friends

Dear Sverre R,

Thank you for providing a review of our property and for recommending our hotel to others. With regards to your room comments we are just in the process of undergoing a planned refurbishment in the hotel which will address this.

We look forward to welcoming back to Auckland and our hotel in the future.

Reviewed 1 September 2013

Great location, nice rooms and staff who were very informative and helpful - from the front desk to the restaurants. Great advice and reccommendations on what to do. Rafael (?) at the bar and restaurant was very accommodating - nothing was too much.

The upgrade was also great and helped give us space to get over the jetlag.

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled with family

Dear Happiestonthemove,

Thank you so much for taking the time to write such a glowing review of our hotel. I have passed your positive comments on to the team and they are very grateful for your kind words.

We look forward to welcoming you back to the hotel again in the future.

Reviewed 1 September 2013

I stayed at the Pullman hotel for two weeks for work. I was staying in a one bedroom room. There are many good features of this hotel which I highlight. These include:

-comfortable bed
-reasonable amount of electrical sockets for charging cellphones etc
-good tv
-big lounge
-friendly housekeeping staff
-large pool, spa, gym and sauna (although I unfortunately did not get to use these facilities).

However, there are many features of this hotel that were very disappointing. I think the main factor to lead to these negative experiences was the fact that the hotel was over staffed. This lead to a decrease in service as staff stand around gossiping to each other all day. There is a clear division of duties. For example, when I went to stand in a queue at the front desk, a male staff member approached me and the others in the queue to have a conversation. I then asked him about my enquiry and he told me to go to the front desk (which was where I was waiting). It appeared that this gentleman's role was as the "line entertainer". I tried to ask the gentleman handing out the umbrellas about dry cleaning. They told me to go to the front desk.

There were so many staff milling about the front desk area that it is hard to tell who is working at the hotel and who is a member of the public. I asked a gentleman for an umbrella and mistakenly realised that he was a member of the public, this was very embarrassing.

The front door is overstaffed and this led to staff congregating around talking. I approached the front doors many times with heavy loads in my arms and was ignored and forced to use my elbows to open the door. I would rather that there be no door staff at all, then door staff who ignore you when you come up to the door with heavy loads.

What most frustrated me at this hotel was been unable to access my room using my room card. I went through around a dozen different room cards. The door cards can not be trusted to work at this hotel. My recommendation is to ask a front desk staff member (or umbrella staff member if you can prise them away from their duties) to accompany you up to your room to check that the room card is working. It is a real nuisance to keep on having to go down to reception each time you want to access your room. I was offended by reception staff blaming me for the card issue by saying that I store my cellphone near my card. This was totally incorrect as I never store my phone near my wallet. This was very poor service indeed.

We often ate room service food for dinner and were very familiar with the menu. The food was very average, small portions and very expensive. The breakfast buffet was very expensive and did not have a huge selection.

The room cleaning standards are average. Tolietries were not replaced regularly and there was an ingrained stain in the bath that would have benefited from a clean with some Jif cream cleanser.

This hotel seemed to be very busy with regular group bookings like tour groups, Emirates flight attendants and rugby league team. The hotel appears to be quite complacent as they have these regular bookings and so do not have to keep up to customer service standards.

I will recommend this hotel to stay at again, however I would only pay 3-4 star prices. This hotel is ridiculously overstaffed with a clear segregation of duties. This leads to poor customer service as staff are too busy gossiping to offer good customer service. Also, make sure to be careful with your room card.

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled on business

Dear Olivia M,

Thank you for your feedback on our hotel and your positive comments on our comfortable beds, friendly staff and Spa at the Pullman offering.

As a long stay guest I appreciate your observations on the hotel and its staff, I have to say however, that this feedback is quite contradictory to the usual comments we receive on a regular basis and is quite concerning. At Pullman our focus is on delivering great customer service; placing our guests needs at the forefront. Please accept my humblest apology if this was not your experience during your stay.

I do hope you will give us another chance to showcase our true 5 star hospitality during your next stay.

We look forward to welcoming you back to the hotel again in the future.

Reviewed 31 August 2013

• Stayed: May 2012, travelled with family
Review collected in partnership with Accorhotels.com