“Good location, friendly staff, but expensive and lots of little issues”
Review of Pullman Auckland

Pullman Auckland
Ranked #16 of 66 Hotels in Auckland Central
GreenLeadersSilver level
Reviewed 12 April 2014

We stayed as a family of four for five nights and had a suite comprising two interconnecting rooms with a living area/kitchen.

The location of the hotel is very central and well-located for getting around Auckland.

Rooms: the hotel lobby and main areas are very nicely decorated. The rooms themselves are fairly plain but comfortable. Very good beds. There are knocks and chips here and there to the furniture, and the lock on our balcony door was broken, indicating that the hotel is in need of a little refurbishment to bring it back up to standard.

The housekeeping was to a very high standard. We asked in our booking for the children’s rooms to have twin beds but it had a shared bed.

We had to call the lobby on a couple of occasions. The DVD player was not working but it was soon fixed. One evening we hoped to watch a movie but the movie system was not working on either TV in our room and it took over an hour to resolve this.

We ate in the bar and also tried the breakfast, both were of a high standard but the prices were very high. A children’s glass of lemonade cost $5.50, which is far too much and goes against the family spirit of Accor hotels. Service was a little slow in the bar.

We ordered room service on our third night. This included a carafe of wine. When it arrived it was a single glass of wine. We also ordered mayonnaise but it was not sent. We rang down to ask if these could be replaced and they were replaced in about 10 minutes.

The hotel staff were quite young but always courteous and helpful.

At checkout our bill contained numerous extra charges, eg for breakfast on the morning before we had even arrived(!), for numerous movies we hadn’t watched… over $350 in extra charges in total. These were removed without issue, but I am mentioning them as I feel that this simply should not happen in a quality hotel.

Overall, so many little things went wrong during our stay that I am not sure we would book it again, which is a shame as the location and the quality of the rooms are great.

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled with family
PullmanAucklandHotel, Quality and Attitude Manager at Pullman Auckland, responded to this reviewResponded 15 April 2014

Dear "OffWeGoOnATripAgain",

Thank you for taking the time to tell us about your experience at the Pullman Auckland. It was our pleasure to welcome you to the hotel.

At Pullman, we strive to provide a superior service experience for every guest; therefore your feedback is very important to us. I will share your kind comments with the team. I am sure that this will serve as an encouragement to all of the staff as we constantly aim to improve the quality of our services.

Please accept my sincere apologies however that there were a few issues you experienced. As we do not know which guest has left a review, I would be grateful if you could email me your booking details so I may look into these areas you have mentioned. (My email address is c.saunders@pullmanauckland.co.nz) We pride ourselves on service excellence which means your stay should have been nothing but perfect. We would very much like to have the opportunity to welcome you back to the hotel. I hope to have the pleasure of speaking with you very soon.

Quality and Attitude Manager

Write a ReviewReviews (2,422)

Reviewed 10 April 2014

First time stay, I brought it through a mystery deal. They put me in a higher up room as it was my first visit and I appreciated that. I used the pool facilities which are great, bed was lovely. Great nights sleep.

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled on business
1  Thank Chch_kraig
PullmanAucklandHotel, Quality and Attitude Manager at Pullman Auckland, responded to this reviewResponded 14 April 2014

Dear "Chch_kraig",

Thank you for your lovely review. I am delighted that you had a wonderful stay and you enjoyed the complimentary upgrade. We hope to see you again soon.

Reviewed 9 April 2014 via mobile

Visited The Pullman for one night as part of my husbands 40th birthday celebrations.

We gratefully accepted the complimentary room upgrade to a suite. The room was lovely, and the bed was very comfortable. In fact the only negatives were that the bathroom was tiny - only room for one person at a time and my husbands knees practically squashed against the side of the bath when he had to use the facilities. Also there were lots of stains on the carpet in each room of the suite which was such a shame as it took away from the otherwise attractive area.

Plus sides, the staff were lovely, the location was fantastic - a 5 minute walk right into the heart of the city.

Just a note, the valet parking system is very efficient, but at no time were we advised by either the valet staff or reception that the service would be chargeable. In fact we only discovered this charge had been added to our account upon checkout.

All in all, we enjoyed our stay, would recommend to others and would stay again.

Stayed: April 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank twebster75
PullmanAucklandHotel, Quality and Attitude Manager at Pullman Auckland, responded to this reviewResponded 10 April 2014

Dear "twebster75",

Thank you for choosing to stay with us to celebrate your husband's 40th birthday. I am delighted that you had an enjoyable stay and very much liked the location of the hotel.

I will share your kind comments and feedback with our team. I am sure that this will serve as an encouragement to all of our staff as we continue improving and maintaining the quality of our services.

With kind regards,

Reviewed 9 April 2014

The hotel is in walking distance of the downtown and harbor area but there is a climb up the hill to get to the hotel. The rooms are very comfortable, but you might get a little traffic noise on lower floors. The staff is very accommodating and friendly and the restaurant is excellent.

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled with friends

Dear "la901",

Thank you for choosing to stay with us at the Pullman Auckland. I am delighted you had a wonderful stay. We hope to see you again soon.

Reviewed 8 April 2014

The only thing wrong with this hotel is that is needs to be refurbished and better sooner than later, everything is spotless but it looks very tired in the hallways and the room, bathroom quite outdated. Service in this hotel is definitely tops right down to the porters and valet persons. I would definitely recommend this hotel for its great service and just hope that redecoration is not too far away

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled with family

Dear "Fiona M",

Thank you for taking the time to provide a review on the Pullman Auckland. It was our pleasure to welcome you to the hotel. I am so pleased that you had an enjoyable stay.

While the rooms in the hotel tower are more traditional in style, we do have a residence tower which is more contemporary in design. Please let me know when you are next coming to Auckland and I will be happy to meet with you on arrival to showcase these to rooms to you. It would be a pleasure to meet you. My email address is c.saunders@pullmanauckland.co.nz

With kind regards,

Reviewed 7 April 2014

This was my second visit to this hotel. I love its central location - close, but not bustling. The staff are always very pleasant and helpful. I would stay there again. The pool and spa area were very nice. I used the pool but not the spa. Perhaps next time...

Room Tip: I was offered a room right next to the lift, as I had arrived a little early. The receptionist told...
  • Stayed: April 2014, travelled solo

Dear "Steve H",

Thank you for choosing to stay with the Pullman Auckland again. It was a pleasure to welcome you back. We hope to see you again soon.

Reviewed 3 April 2014

Reached the hotel around 11.00am and check in was very fast and before we reach our room our luggages were in the room, which I have not seen in 98% of hotels. Room is very spacious and had a spacious hall with TV and sofa. The gym is well equiped and maintained. We did not received news paper. Bed and Pillows are very clean and carpets and furnitures need replacement or refurbishment. Staff are very co-operative and their bar has variety of drinks. Like all hotels in Auckland there is no free parking. I was told that the new wing is much better and had no chance to visit.

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled on business
PullmanAucklandHotel, Quality and Attitude Manager at Pullman Auckland, responded to this reviewResponded 4 April 2014

Dear "selvan_koilpillai",

Thank you for your taking the time to provide feedback on your recent stay at the Pullman Auckland. It was a pleasure to welcome you to the hotel.

Please let me know when you look to book your next stay with us as I would be delighted to meet with you on arrival to showcase a selection of our rooms. We are fortunate to have both traditional and contemporary rooms available for our guests depending on their preferences. My email address is c.saunders@pullmanauckland.co.nz.